!@#$%^& fan, help!!!

strikeeagle

OK, so my buddy's fan just keeps running after the car is shut off, draining the battery. We unplugged both connectors to the fan delay relay (the bigger relay mounted to the left fender) - no luck! Any suggestions? He'd like to race tomorrow night and is a little discouraged, so any prompt help you can provide is GREATLY appreciated. TYVM, guys!

Is it running at low speed or high speed? Did you pull the other relays to see if it would stop?

The fan only runs on high speed. The ballast resistor rusted out a long time ago and was "jumpered". We'll try unplugging the low and high speed relays, one at a time, and see what happens. Stay tuned...

fan delay relay are known for that thats why alot of people dont use it there about 70 -100 bucks

He could always disconnect the fan from power, chop of pigtails of the connectors (for later), and wire it to a switch in the mean time. Then when he gets the money or the time, wire the pigtails back in with whatever new setup he gets.

As a next step, he disconnected the middle relay, then reconnected it. On doing so, everything works fine. Go figure? He was able to race tonite. Thanks all, for your replies.

As a next step, he disconnected the middle relay, then reconnected it. On doing so, everything works fine. Go figure? He was able to race tonite. Thanks all, for your replies.

dont leave us hanging how did he do? mods?

Well, he ran 8.5's in the eighth on a track with zero prep. The car has run at least one 11.7+ in the quarter on a 49/Garrett housing and with a new 44/PTE housing since is perhaps capable of an 11.4 or 5. The build is lots of bolt-ons only.

This particular night is a street night and very amateurish at that. As the track announcer confided, 'there's no sense in making the track sticky and breaking a bunch of these cars.' Lots of water in the burnout box, which no one had the sense to drive around, nor execute a proper burnout, and with all the underpowered cars and street tires and dripping wheelhouses it seemed the first 200 feet were soaking. And I suppose that's exactly what they wanted. Not a night I'd race on, but my buddy is a bit more impulsive (?) than me.

I think my friend needs to drill a hole in the bottom of each of the 3 relays and shake the rust out...

Get a new relay, when the contacts weld themselves together once it'll happen again, unless they are burishable and accessable, and or course ours aren't, you need to replace it ASAP