Fair Price for Heads

Another thing to consider for the future is with ported heads your not Turbo limited like you are with the stockers, not trying to spend your money but saving you from doing things twice.

Another thing to consider for the future is with ported heads your not Turbo limited like you are with the stockers, not trying to spend your money but saving you from doing things twice.
heads bigger turbo to head into the 10s,id say your doing a pretty good jpb of spending his money;)

I agree with others saying that you dont need heads for mid 11s. But they make a night and day difference. if you have the $$$ do them. Heads were my favorite mod next to alky/E85.

Fair price is relevant.
Heads that are cleaned up may be $800, while heads of a car that ran low 9s may be $5000. Both are fair prices.

If money is of zero concern, get some aluminum ported heads. If budget is tight, put that money towards the transmission and converter. You will be much further ahead with a good transmission and a real converter, than with a junk converter and ported heads.

Regardless, you will still need a wideband and other tuning tools, plus the knowledge to tune this platform and the combo. Don't underestimate that.

Hurry up an plant the $$$$ tree I was talking about. I think your goin to need it :unsure:

Oh... whats the budget on your build ??

heads bigger turbo to head into the 10s,id say your doing a pretty good jpb of spending his money;)
Well he decided to step into the turbo buick world , just letting him look into the free crystal ball..;)

FOOD FOR THOUGHT......it's a lot easier to change a turbo, injectors exhaust etc,etc. than it is to change heads..!!! Buy the best & only bitch once..!! If your motor is out do the heads NOW...your back will thank you...;)

Thanks. I fig since the motor is getting built. I would add a little more power to it by adding some p/p heads. But that's roughy an extra $800 - $1300 to the build.
You figured right, no easier time to do the heads than while the motor is out. Yes, you will be able to hit your current goals without them but how many of us have stopped trying to go faster or improve upon our cars in one way or another after reaching our initial goals? We all know the answer to that. That's all part of the sickness that brought us all here to begin with :). Best of luck with your build no matter what you decide.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT......it's a lot easier to change a turbo, injectors exhaust etc,etc. than it is to change heads..!!! Buy the best & only bitch once..!! If your motor is out do the heads NOW...your back will thank you...;)
OK. Now I think you guys are getting a little crazy.

I strongly support getting a nice afordable set of iron heads. But remember his goal was only to run 11’s. A nice set of iron heads is going to help him run those numbers very easily without pushing anything and can take him a little further if he chooses. But setting his car up for the future to run 9’s isn’t even close to what anyone should be suggesting.

Remember his goal? 11’s? If he’s a practical, logical adult, then I assume he gave this some thought. ;)

I spent $600 bucks rebuilding my Champion Irons after I switched to T/A aluminium's in a new build.

Traded about a thousand dollars worth of work for them to a guy who turned around and sold them for $800 at Spoolfool's swap meet last October. He never even took them out of the packaging except to show them to the guy who bought them.

That guy got a hell of a deal.

If you are getting your heads freshened up, then a set of ported irons is a no brainer. If you want to simply get your stock heads freshened up, then get a die grinder and port match/bowl port your stockers. Just for info, when i first freshened up my motor back in 2014, Dave Husek sold me a set of freshened up ported stockers for $700, same heads I run today. It would have been the same price to freshen up my stock heads. I would not put untouched stock heads back on a rebuilt motor.

4/5 psi of boost which is a bullshit number anyway;)is not worth 2500 to 3000 extra dollars.
It is a bullshit number, I agree. But sometimes with street gas 4 or 5 psi could make a big difference. But I would not support 3000 extra dollars on Iron heads either! If he can get a good set for a good deal, then I still stand behind my previous advice.

put the slicks on;)your limitation is in the turbo,like i said your boost number will change if the heads get ported,the same power needed for mid 11s could be achieved by adding more boost.
I spent $600 bucks rebuilding my Champion Irons after I switched to T/A aluminium's in a new build.

Traded about a thousand dollars worth of work for them to a guy who turned around and sold them for $800 at Spoolfool's swap meet last October. He never even took them out of the packaging except to show them to the guy who bought them.

That guy got a hell of a deal.
Yep. That's the kinda deal i.m waiting on. Somewhere in the $500 - $700 range.

Since the motor has to be rebuilt. I'm gonna do some P/P Irons. As soon as i can catch a deal on here. Already sent my old 60 turbo to Bison to hopefully be freshened up if possible. If not. I'll just keep running my te44. Just need to pump the brakes and slow my role and not rush this build. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Watch out for deals of the century. Know what your looking at. Sometimes used deals can bite ya in the butt !! So what are you goin to run for a cam ? Give the pot a little stiriin up :cool:

Watch out for deals of the century. Know what your looking at. Sometimes used deals can bite ya in the butt !! So what are you goin to run for a cam ? Give the pot a little stiriin up :cool:
Agree. Once motor is apart. And if Cam is ok. Gonna run the cam i have in the car. Reed serIal #L4134.