Failed Smog Evap Test

iwantatta

Sorry for the repost. But i thought his might be a better place for it. Have it in the TTA section as well.

Just tried to get my car smogged and was told that it failed the Evap test because of a bad filler neck. Anyone now if this is a one piece or 2 piece fix? They told me they would use a universal filler neck. But i'm wondering if it is welded to the tank. Would it be better to find a replacement tank with filler neck? Or is that even possible? Bummed it failed the test. It hadn't failed a test yet since i got the car over 10yrs ago. More bummed because it seems like its a pain to fix or expensive to have someone fix it.

Is it possible or worth it to have it retested at another facility without fixing it?

If this is on a Buick i would say that the sending unit o-ring seal was the most likely cause especially if it had a fuel pump replacement.

If this is on a Buick i would say that the sending unit o-ring seal was the most likely cause especially if it had a fuel pump replacement.

It is on the Trans Am but i'm guessing it has the same thing. The fuel pump was replaced about 5 years ago. Right now i'm digging up information and planning to pull it out myself.

Do you have a strong fuel smell? While replacing the fuel pump on my car, we accidentally caused a hairline crack in the neck, and I do mean hairline. Next morning the garage smelled heavily of fumes. Anyway, just thinking if your neck was really cracked its not something you'd miss.

Do you have a strong fuel smell? While replacing the fuel pump on my car, we accidentally caused a hairline crack in the neck, and I do mean hairline. Next morning the garage smelled heavily of fumes. Anyway, just thinking if your neck was really cracked its not something you'd miss.

Haven't noticed any strong smells of gas. That has me a little concerned that you say that too. Its been a long time (hyundai excel about 20yrs ago) but i've had problems with smog people telling me its one thing and then you fix it and it still does not fix the problem. They had me throwing money at the car until it passed.

Have you resolved this ? If not, of course it's worth a second opinion. Find a shop that will just charge you to do the evap test. Unless you've paid them to diagnose, and they've smoke tested the system, how do they know it's the fuel filler neck ?

Have you resolved this ? If not, of course it's worth a second opinion. Find a shop that will just charge you to do the evap test. Unless you've paid them to diagnose, and they've smoke tested the system, how do they know it's the fuel filler neck ?

So are you saying to just do an evap test outside of getting it smogged? That seems to make sense. Get my thoughts around one thing and forget to think of alternatives sometimes. Thats why i come here to look for help (;

No problem. I work at a smog shop (not a smog tech) and am happy to help. Holler back with what you find. How did they come to fault the filler neck ? Can they see an issue ?

So i finally got around to pulling the tank and had the tank inspected by someone else. The fuel tank repair shop found nothing wrong with it .... not really a suprise i guess. They pressure tested it and cleaned it out. Makes me feel glad i didn't let him work on it. He would have hacked up the original fuel tank.... so i'm getting ready to reinstall the tank and decided to get a new fuel tank o-ring like Turbo Lou was mentioning. Only thing is when i went to Napa to get the part it looks different. It has some type of metal reinforcement. Is this normal? The part number i got was 730-5603
20170906_200642.jpg

As long as it fits the hole, and is soft top and bottom where it touches the tank and the lock ring, You're good to go.

So the old one is on the left ? The new one has the seal built onto the locking ring i guess. That's a new one on me.

The one you got is correct make sure you clean the groove it goes into and get the locking ring on tight and properly placed that should take care of it . Check all your vent hardlines and rubber lines all the way to the canister and good luck

Thanks, missed Bates this year so looking forward to have it running for next year. Will keep you guys posted.

Anyone not attending Bates is guilty of treason & deserves to fall a smog test

Finally got the car smogged. Glad i didn't take my car to that hack job shop. They would have chopped up the fuel tank. Nothing was wrong with it. Only took me a year later to get it back on the road. Although i guess i can thank guy ... l learned how to drop the fuel tank :wacky:. Wasn't too bad other than getting the tank back in. Definately a two man job for that! Hopefully i can make it to Bates next year. Wife is expecting the week before so would be fun to bring the little one

Attachments

• smog.jpg
    smog.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 81