Failed again.. Maryland sux!

gn85

You've gotta try this!
Hey y'all,

I put an emissions chip in my car and ran it again and actually got HIGHER HC this time.

My car has blue tops, stock injectors and a functioning cat. I was thinking of dropping the fuel pressure, but decided not to. Right now it's at 43 vac off.

The guy at the emissions place wasn't the smoothest with the throttle (I really despise them driving my car!) I should hook up t-link and record what he's doing next time.

The car was nice and hot. I'm going to check the coil pack, plugs and PCV. What do y'all think about dropping FP?

Thanks for listening to my half-rant/half-request for help. :)

Man Maryland must really suck... I'm not sure, I have a racing chip in my car, no cats, and it smogged fine in nevada....Any way u can get a chip burned specifially for smog, just a de-tune of your car for the smog? Something inexpensive for the smog that u use once every five years..

Originally posted by gn85
Hey y'all,

I put an emissions chip in my car and ran it again and actually got HIGHER HC this time.

My car has blue tops, stock injectors and a functioning cat. I was thinking of dropping the fuel pressure, but decided not to. Right now it's at 43 vac off.

The guy at the emissions place wasn't the smoothest with the throttle (I really despise them driving my car!) I should hook up t-link and record what he's doing next time.

The car was nice and hot. I'm going to check the coil pack, plugs and PCV. What do y'all think about dropping FP?

Thanks for listening to my half-rant/half-request for help. :)

What are the rest of the readings? If the rest of the readings indicate emissions are lean and you take FP out, HC may go higher.

my wifes car failed md. emissios too.no cat & egr plugged but just missed hc levels lowered fp drove to another emissions station hc levels were even higher im going to change egr & check solenoid.

look at the topic "emissions solutions" my brother posted it under my name and he used iso heat. I'm going to try it in about a week with my gn clone with a 350 with a massive cam, and if it passes you know it's good stuff. anyway check out the thread.

***UPDATE***

OK.. I threw everything I could think of at this car. Actually it gave me a good excuse to start spending time tuning it again.

I put a new cat on the car... it wasn't necessary because my old cat looked great, but just for laughs I did anyways. Now that I've passed, I think I'll 'save' this cat for the next time. I just wish I hadn't thrown my 'empty' cat away. I want to put that back on.

Advice for anyone having problems.... GET A MITYVAC and check away!! I had so many things go wrong with my car that I found with the MITYVAC.. it was scary. I'm still hunting for things, but this really saved me a lot of aggrevation and time. I was going to replace all my hoses anyways, but I found several places where there were leaks and poor fitting hoses. My EGR was bad. I had a bad check valve. Even my vac/boost gauge was leaking.. from a poor connection.

Before I switched all that out, my BLMs were at 150... after that, 128. Dead on. Since then, I've redone my IAC, TPS, and tweaked the cam sensor setting. Read many threads about moving that up 1/8 of a turn.

It didn't pass with the best numbers in the world.. but the car passed.

Just for reference, the only upgrades I have on my car are blue top injectors, and the normal fuel upgrades (pump, hot wire, etc). My fuel pressure was at 43psi vac off. I'm stilll tuning that.

Here are the numbers it blew... not the best.. but as long as it says PASS at the bottom, I don't care!!

Standard Readings
HC: 1.8000 1.6361
CO: 30.0000 11.5478
NOx: 2.8000 1.0892

I had been having problems with HC. My first test was just over the limit at 1.8261 and my second test was 2.1057 with an emissions chip. But I didn't have the FP set right. :(

Anyways... just thought I'd share and say thanks for the help.