Factory Lug Nut Types?

Charles Young

C Young
I know I've seen a post with pics showing the difference between 86/87 GN lug nuts and 86/87 Ttype lug nuts but I cannot find it. Here is what I have in the pics below. I think the one on the left in all 3 pics is a T nut and the one on the right is GN but can someone please confirm? Also, I think you are not supposed to interchange them with factory wheels but not 100% sure why; something about the seat area, but they look awfully similar in that area to me. Any insight will be appreciated.
Thanks!!
IMG_2198.JPG
IMG_2199.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG

No, google still works[emoji3] but my ultimate goal is to determine if either or both is OK to use on my Twheels. I would have bet though that the one I have with Metric on the top came on a GN I used to have...... I guess not. The one in the left sure looks like the Ones for twheels on Kirbans and mikes montes sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, more google time and I find "factory original" Ttype lug nuts like both of what I have pictured. I'm really only concerned about whether or not it matters for the wheel but I would like some feedback on what I have.

Charles, looks like the one left is t wheel lug. The one stamped metric is for steel gn wheels. Drive over , see rc and get a complete history of lugnuts with visual aids.

Ah yes, I'm sure RC could provide a detailed history.... I just feel bad bugging him sometimes but that is a good idea!

you can use any 12mm 1.5 cone lug for the GN steel wheel or the aluminum T rim but using them on a GN steel without the step (like the ones you pictured) the GN cap retainer could get distorted and you'd need to hold the cap on the wheel as you install the lugnuts . with the correct lugnuts on a GN steel wheel the caps could be just popped on after installing all the lugnuts

Last edited:
Charles, looks like the one left is t wheel lug. The one stamped metric is for steel gn wheels. Drive over , see rc and get a complete history of lugnuts with visual aids.

neither of the ones he posted in that pic are original for the GN steel wheel or correct for the steel cap retainer used on the steel gn ,
i posted the pic of an original GN lugnut and you should be able to clearly see the differences

other GM vehicles like the 3rd gen camaro (steel ralley) and the s10 (steel ralley and 4x4 rims) used similar shaped 12mm 1.5 cone lugnuts with the step in them because those retainers used in the cap were the same as used on the GN