F$%$ (Turbosaver oil lines)

m3x1c0

Bad luck Buick
I am using the PTE turbosaver on my car. When we rebuilt the engine I used some high pressure hose from NAPA and used hose clamps on both ends over the hose in combination with the push lock fitting. I was informed that this could be detrimental since the design was meant to be used only with the hose tension over the fittings. so I went with some high quality Continental brand hose designed for these fittings and they immediately started leaking out of the oil filter end. I didn't quite get the hose pushed all the way to the top of the fitting so I cut them and re installed making sure the hose was pushed as far onto the fitting as it could. This held up well for about 1000 miles and is now leaking from both the oil filter end and on the adapter at the block. I'm thinking of putting those hose clamps back on until I can find some AN plumbing that will work with the turbosaver. I am afraid that since oil making its way between the hose and fitting that this will lubricate the lines and combined with the excellent oil pressure I'm getting (75+at WOT) this could make for a messy and catastrophic situation.

Any qualms with my hose-clamp bandaid? Are my fears of the lines popping off unfounded? What size AN fittings should I use? Any recommendations for AN line that isn't stainless (im thinking Earls Pro-Lite or anything with a non-abrasive outer lining since It is hard to keep them from rubbing.)

I would put the clamps on.

I had one of the PTE systems many years ago that came with the hoses premade. I don't remember how the ends were attached but it never leaked.

But if its leaking, I would not trust them.

Bob

I would put the clamps on.

I had one of the PTE systems many years ago that came with the hoses premade. I don't remember how the ends were attached but it never leaked.

But if its leaking, I would not trust them.

Bob
As explained by the Tipco man who sells these fittings and hose: They work like those chinese finger traps. The more pressure through the house, the more clamping force it will have over the fitting. There are barbs on the fitting that work a lot like those vacuum hose fittings. I just do not trust these things. Last thing I want is to be calling a tow truck from hours (I drive the hell out of this car) away because I popped a hose.

most hydraulic supply houses carry PARKER PUSHLOK HOSE.....it is the correct hose for this application and fittings. Id get About 10 feet of it. i found it easier to soak the ends in boiling water for a few minutes to soften it and the push it on in one complete ,solid motion. also lube the barbed ends with oil

I rebuilt all my hoses from summit stuff...the big ones were -10an I believe but the turbo feed i'm not sure

I used a black 3 foot piece of hose that was the summit brand and just reused the barb fittings...get some lube (not vasoline) bc it's going to be hard as hell to push them on.

I used a black 3 foot piece of hose that was the summit brand and just reused the barb fittings...get some lube (not vasoline) bc it's going to be hard as hell to push them on.
so you didn't use aN lines? im confused. you said you reused the barb fittings. Is there anyway you could show me a pic of your setup? thanks for the info BTW. I think I am going to go with Redhorse fittings and Earls nylon braided line. Black and bulletproof fittings and lines are what I want. Car gets dailied and goes on long trips when the snow is gone. cant risk a hose blowing out in the middle of nowhere.

I put hose clamps on mine, just a bit o pressure, not a ton, so it would't cut the barb into the line. I'm going to go AN fittings, so its easier to remove, vs just cutting the lines and buying new lines everytime I take it off.

As stated above, Parker pushlok hose. I would just replace with appropriate size AN though. Fittings are expensive but are easier to deal with than what you have now. If you haven't made AN lines before, be aware....once you learn you'll want everything in braided stainless :p

As stated above, Parker pushlok hose. I would just replace with appropriate size AN though. Fittings are expensive but are easier to deal with than what you have now. If you haven't made AN lines before, be aware....once you learn you'll want everything in braided stainless :p
Haha yes I recently did some plumbing on my foxbody with stainless. Looks so good! Im definitely gonna go with Nylon on the Buick though. Those stainless lines are like sandpaper if they touch anything.

so you didn't use aN lines? im confused. you said you reused the barb fittings. Is there anyway you could show me a pic of your setup? thanks for the info BTW. I think I am going to go with Redhorse fittings and Earls nylon braided line. Black and bulletproof fittings and lines are what I want. Car gets dailied and goes on long trips when the snow is gone. cant risk a hose blowing out in the middle of nowhere.

You're making it difficult lol, I ordered two each of those and basically rebuilt the existing lines...they are -10AN

I bought a new PTE turbo saver and the lines are pushlock. Doesnt leak a drop. Now, ill tell you a went push lock on my PSC reservior return lines to the res and the gear and I have slight leaks. I think its a low pressure thing that makes them leak a bit. But.....my parker hoses on my pte saver doesnt leak a bit. I'd call PTE and have them send you a new line set. Cannot be too much for them. I dont have time to fart around with fixing too much stuff anymore that does not work, I just replace it.

image.jpeg Well this is why it pays to overthink sometimes. I bought 2 an fittings and hose. After assembling the hose I went to install them. Had to cut out the rubber push on hose and got the two pieces of the turbo saver to my bench. It was after I already drained my oil and ruined my leaky but functional push lock hoses that I realized I was going to be down one fitting. One line of the turbo saver has npt to AN fittings and the other is straight npt. Not only that but I cannot remove the npt fittings. I've heated them up and quenched several times to no Avail. I'm going to bring the pieces to a machine shop to see if they can remove the npt fittings and install AN adapters. In the meantime the car gets to sit and this was my only time I had to work on it before it rains all week. If it doesn't stop raining I'm not gonna be able to fix this and make it RC's this weekend. :( I am beyond pissed. Always for your i's before you tear stuff apart.

Any suggestion on how to remove those fittings without ruining the turbo saver let me know. Or if anyone knows where to get new components for it.
image.jpeg

put an oil filter on the car, and bring the bits with you to RC's

B

Fragola has a crimp on safety clamp, that we use on all the higher psi push-on apps. Put them on, make up the hose, pinch the clamps w/ a side cutter. {I have an old upholstery staple puller.}
Also, Gates makes shrink clamps. Plastic tubing that shrinks w/ heat applied. We use them on many hoses. Would work just fine w/ the T Saver lines.

I know there are different brands of pushlock hose and fittings. The barbs must be used with the correct hose or you will never get it on. Or worse, it wont grip the barb tight enough. If you blow one of the lines, bearing damage is almost guaranteed so make sure you have the right stuff.

To get the fittings off you need a bigger wrench and a vice.