F body 12in brakes fit G-body's?

Whitettype86

Young William
If I upgrade to a 12in bear racing brakes for an 82-92 fbody will they fit? I have b body spindles and will go to an Hotckins uppers or Adams uppers. Just wondering if they'll fit.

I was going to go with B body spindles with 1LE disk brakes from a 89 camaro. Now what would be different if I got a set of Bear brakes for a 82-92 camaro. I know the spindles won't work. My question is will the disk with b body spindles?

Originally posted by Whitettype86
I was going to go with B body spindles with 1LE disk brakes from a 89 camaro. Now what would be different if I got a set of Bear brakes for a 82-92 camaro. I know the spindles won't work. My question is will the disk with b body spindles?

Dunno. But my question is, why bother? Why not just get 12" B-body rotors? I can't see Baer-brand rotors offering any real advantage over stock stuff, especially if the rotors are the same size. You should be able to find B-body rotors for well under $50 each brand new.

I know this doesn't answer your question. Just trying to understand. :)

What parts and if you have the part numbers would be needed to use the 12" rotors? Any 2 piston calipers?

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
Baer rotors do not warp.
Au Contraire! Baer rotors on most of their kits are still PBR units unless you opt for some sort of super duper cross drilled, zinc washed, cryo'd, ultra sonic rotors.
The stock PBR units on the 12" brakes are cast iron and will warp just as easily as the 1LE Fbody/b body rotors.
As a matter of fact, if you want to see the main reason GM went with 13" units on the Z51 vettes in the early 90's, just look at the difference in rotor thickness and feel the weight difference. The rotors are approx 3/8" thicker and about 5lbs heavier on the 13 inchers.
The main difference between a Baer racing kit and installing b body spindles and 1LE rotors is this:
#1 B body spindles require a different upper control arm to get the alignment correct where as Baer will convert a set of stock G body spindles so you dont have to replace your stock control arms. However, Baer will also modify B body spindles for the guys who want to gain the better handling traits that come with the B body spindle.
#2 B body spindles are set up to use the standard single piston cast iron calipers. Baer racing gives you options such as different styles and brands of aluminum calipers. The most common is the aluminum twin piston PBR units that come on many domestic performance cars. Most common were the 84-up Corvettes, 87-92 1LE F bodies, 89 TTAs, all 98-2002 F bodies. Baer can do this because of their modular mounting plates that allow the mounting of the calipers.
#3 The B body brakes require you to disassemble the wheel bearing to remove the rotor. The Baer set ups use pull off rotors (but still have serviceable wheel bearings in their hubs)
You might save a little weight and gain some breaking power with the PBR calipers that Baer installs, but you wont save any money over a B body spindle swap. Robert Adams http://gparts.freeyellow.com/
offers a complete kit with EVERYTHING you need for $720 (that includes spindles). If I remember correctly, the Baer kit is approx $500 more for their standard set up and the price goes up from there as you pick and choose different options.

The Robert Adams kit at that price also includes tubular upper control arms. Best deal going, for sure.

I think upgrading to B rotors gives you a lot more resistance to warpage. The B rotors are way beefier. Keep in mind that one of the main reasons rotors warp is when you park the car with the brakes hot: the hot pads keep one part of the rotor hot while the rest cools off at a different rate. A little change in driving habits helps solve this problem. Cryo treating helps a lot, too.

Hey Guys,

Well I can't say our rotors will never warp, but we are the only company offering a warranty against it if they do! :)

Just to clarify things we do not use PBR rotors, we do cast our own rotors. The calipers we use in many of our systems are PBR as we are the aftermarket distributor for them.

As for the rotor the Baer castings are all directional (most stock rotors are not), and are cast with a thicker "cheek" area where the pad meets the rotor.

HTH

Rick Elam
Baer Brake Systems