External Wastegate Size to use with PTE6870 DBB Turbo ?

jmendlik

What would the recommended Wastegate size be for running this 6870 turbo on a 250 CU Stroker Motor using TA SS Race Headers with Wastegate off the pass side header?

Is the PTE 46MM big enough to use with the PTE6870 DBB?

If not -PTE 66MM or any Others (ProGate 50 by Turvbosmart)?

thumbnail3.jpeg

Last edited:
The PTE 46 will work just fine. Unless you want the progate 50. Any gate with a v-clamp flange and bigger than a 44 will work for you. Just pick which one you like best and go with it

I run a Tial V44 on my ta block 270ci and have taken it down to 6.5 psi. Not sure how low I could go but that's the spring I have in it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

A couple observations.
1. Not sure what the pipe size is for the gate, but the flange looks big for a 46mm gste.
2. The intersection of the x over is blowing the dr side flow directly back into the pass side tubes.

A couple observations.
1. Not sure what the pipe size is for the gate, but the flange looks big for a 46mm gste.
2. The intersection of the x over is blowing the dr side flow directly back into the pass side tubes.

Interesting... I never noticed that before. The headers Gee M Racing makes has the driver side cross over pipe meeting with the three passenger side primaries right at the turbo flange. I wonder how much the overall exhaust pressure would be reduced just by that design. I also wonder what the exhaust pressure would be in each primary collector, in both the TA and Gee M headers. But that seems like a costly test to perform, one for the designers of the headers to perform to give data as proof their product is superior.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/GeeMRacingRy/photos/?tab=album&album_id=831269350328315
https://www.boostedrps.com/product-page/street-headers-by-gee-m-racing

JMO, the Gee design appears to be a superior design, w/ the gas flow all going in the same direction.
Don't think I'd invest my $$ in the other design....

Here is a better pic of the TA Header modified for the external gate-You really think that is an issue with the DS Crossover gases coming back up into to the pass tubes?

These headers are TA's design. I'm sure Mike T would have some inputs on this if he was asked

IMG_1444.JPG

I personally don't think so

I agree....

But others may have different thoughts. I'm not looking to spend another $1000+ on headers..I'm done and will run these as is!

Note the 90* bend sends the dr side in the same direction and merges w/ the pass side.

I understand your point but this is how I pictured the exhaust gases moving with flow-sorta..I may be wrong but my basic observation...with the drivers side somewhat pushing the flow upward. If i"m way off I stand corrected..I'm by no means an expert with flow characteristics and these motors and exhaust systems. Maybe I will have Mike from TA take a look at this thread and give his comments on his header design.

rendering.jpg

Last edited:
My headers are similar . Truthfully I’m not sure who made them but I did modify them to work with my on center 282CiD . And I’m running a 7168 comp turbo . I belive my gate is a 44mm . It’s a cheap one but it works perfectly and I have not had any issues so far with Boost creeep . I am runing co2 and a Boost leash controller aswell . What do you plan on using to control your Boost ?
8E8BE2DB-1552-47FA-9FB7-96EF62E1FDE1.jpeg

Attachments

• BFCD3CC1-68A0-4D2B-B6D4-AC857D3E52FC.jpeg
    BFCD3CC1-68A0-4D2B-B6D4-AC857D3E52FC.jpeg
    825.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 872A7655-6257-4891-B273-699A33CD6786.jpeg
    872A7655-6257-4891-B273-699A33CD6786.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 142
  • 9D2C94A4-3872-4C74-965F-E1E418CAF6C6.jpeg
    9D2C94A4-3872-4C74-965F-E1E418CAF6C6.jpeg
    797.2 KB · Views: 144
Got the PTE46MM Gate and the Eboost Street 40PSi Version...with One 3 port solenoid ....was contemplating the boost leash-maybe in the spring

Here is a better pic of the TA Header modified for the external gate-You really think that is an issue with the DS Crossover gases coming back up into to the pass tubes?

These headers are TA's design. I'm sure Mike T would have some inputs on this if he was asked

View attachment 312257
I have mine just like that with a 46 on a 7675 turbo works great bro
d93312403a89b937d2c463ddc9494aa6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Got the PTE46MM Gate and the Eboost Street 40PSi Version...with One 3 port solenoid ....was contemplating the boost leash-maybe in the spring
The Boost leash is the way to go imo . I actully sold my ams500v2 and bought the boostleash becuse of the bumpbox and scramble features .

No reason for a boost leash. Unless your drag racing the car all the time and run shit tires you dont need it. That eboost is good.

No reason for a boost leash. Unless your drag racing the car all the time and run shit tires you dont need it. That eboost is good.

Boost leash is a far better controller then the e Boost street imo . The e Boost is a decent controller for the street . And if you really want to get down to it a $20 Manual Boost controller will do the same thing as the eboost . You don’t need a Boost leash or e boost but it is sure nice to have lol

A 20 dollar manual controller won't come close to the eboost period.

Even with a track car you really don't need a crazy controller unless your making a shit ton of power. Also I'm surprised how many people run c02 on street cars.

I think it really depends on what your goals are with the car and how much power your are making.

If your in the 9s and go to the track atleast once a month, sure a advanced controller might help.

As for the eboost vs boost leash. Sure the leash is better for a racing application. However for a street application the leash is over kill

Last edited:
A 20 dollar manual controller won't come close to the eboost period.

Even with a track car you really don't need a crazy controller unless your making a shit ton of power. I'm surprised how many people run c02 on street cars.

I think it really depends on what your goals are with the car and how much power your are making.

If your in the 9s and go to the track atleast once a month, sure a advanced controller might help.

I think you missed my point . The 20$ special will control Boost . That’s all you need it to do . It’s like all these ppl that buy headers,Intake Manifolds ,throttle bodies they are not needed becuse the stock stuff will go deep into the 10s but it is nice to have . I had a $20 Boost controller and I can tell you that it controlled the Boost aswell as my $100 turbonetics controller . The Boost leash is nice becuse of the ramp rates you can program in to actully hook on the street especially but works great at the track aswell

The stock wastegate will control boost as well so need for any add ons lol.

I agree, Nothing like seeing a champion race intake on a 12 sec car..

Anyways no need for ramp rates if your ecm has traction control..

Anyways I'm sure he will be happy with either controller