external wastegate question

scojack_2001

Livin' Like A Refugee
Hey guys, I need some info on how the external wastegates work. It's not specifically a Buick related question, just a general one.

My best friend has a turbo car (5.0) and we need it to pass inspection. We tried yesterday in Dover and it bombed the low idle HCs. Bad. It was over 1800ppm with a limit of 220... :eek:

He has a external gate on the car. If we took the spring out, will that allow the turbo to NOT build boost? Thereby making the car N/A, for all intents and purposes? Kind of like taking the wastegate rod off on our cars.

Plan is to put a set of stock 19lb. per hour injectors in it and turn the timing way down. Car is running a PMS piggyback controller, but that only kicks in at 2500rpm AND 25% TPS voltage.

Any help or advice appreciated.

ScoJack

think for a second
how is boost control going to affect idle when its not in boost

cant lower what you dont have

fix the over fueling issue , get a good cat on it

if its baseing fuel on an o2 replace it with a heated sensor

think for a second
how is boost control going to affect idle when its not in boost

cant lower what you dont have

fix the over fueling issue , get a good cat on it

if its baseing fuel on an o2 replace it with a heated sensor

Hmm. Good point there Doc.

02's are fresh Denso's and they're three wire so I'm assuming they are heated.

Car has a fresh cat on it, not very old.

are the injectors not what the program was written for , change program or put back the injectors that should be there

are the injectors not what the program was written for , change program or put back the injectors that should be there

Agreed. Probably gonna have to put the 19s back in it. The piggyback system doesn't work on idle/light loads. Well not for emissions testing anyway.

Thanks for the help Doc. Wanted to ask you earlier today but you left before I could.

if you do smaller injectors pull the spring and if its a dual port gate with a line to top make sure the top port of the gate is disconnected and allowed to vent , you dont want it boosting without the fuel being there

if you do smaller injectors pull the spring and if its a dual port gate with a line to top make sure the top port of the gate is disconnected and allowed to vent , you dont want it boosting without the fuel being there

Exactly what I was getting at originally. Didn't want it boosting with the small injectors in place.

Might put a adjustable regulator on it too as well.

The turbo has nothing to do with anything here. High HC means poor running engine. High CO means rich mixture. You will need to retard the timing a bunch. To like 15*, get it really hot, and have a well functioning cat converter after you figure out why its running so poorly.

Was the Cat Can up to temperature. I failed my last attempt. I changed the oil & drove it hard to warm up the cat & then it passed.

Good luck. I hate emissions crap.
~JM~

Was the Cat Can up to temperature. I failed my last attempt. I changed the oil & drove it hard to warm up the cat & then it passed.

Good luck. I hate emissions crap.
~JM~
His HC was 1800ppm. His cat converter would melt in about 10 miles if he drove around like that.

Scotty, Eric's emissions chip got mine through. 50 bucks...it turns the fan on latter..i saw 190's/ also,he pulls timing and tells you to lower f/pres to 37 -line off. BUT...to be safe...i added 2 gal E85 to about 10 gals of 93...leaned me out nicely...HC's where so low the guy said he never saw one run so clean. hope this helps. If you try and antique it let me know how it goes!

Scotty, Eric's emissions chip got mine through. 50 bucks...it turns the fan on latter..i saw 190's/ also,he pulls timing and tells you to lower f/pres to 37 -line off. BUT...to be safe...i added 2 gal E85 to about 10 gals of 93...leaned me out nicely...HC's where so low the guy said he never saw one run so clean. hope this helps. If you try and antique it let me know how it goes!

good advice ..if he was talking about a buick but.....
in his op he stated "its not a buick related question ..My best friend has a turbo car (5.0) and we need it to pass inspection"

just a guess but id guess its one of those 5.0 blue oval cars

good advice ..if he was talking about a buick but.....
in his op he stated "its not a buick related question ..My best friend has a turbo car (5.0) and we need it to pass inspection"

just a guess but id guess its one of those 5.0 blue oval cars
It woudlnt matter anyway. There is no chip that will drop HC 1300+ ppm.