Extender chip from full throttle

black magic

Black Magic
Hi. how well does the extender chip fromm full throttle perform? what does it ad/ change? it deletes the factory 128 mph shutoff and does it add power?

The Extender chip is much like any newer performance chip, and also has many user controlled features as described on their site. It, however is designed to be used with a Translator and chevy MAF. If you're still running a stock MAF, their Commander chip is the same as an Extender except it's designed to be used with a stock MAF. I run a Commander in my 87 (stock), and an Extender in my 86.

I had great luck with the extender extreme (extreme for larger injectors) The car idled great drove great and I ran a best time of 10.90 on a stock long block and intake. I never did use the adjustable parameters. I have a trans + and I adjusted A/F and timing with that.

The adjustable parameters are:
Shift Light: flashes Check Engine light above desired RPM
DFCO delay: prevents annoying RPM dips while coasting caused by high stall torque converters
Fan Temperature: Select "Street" or "Race" modes
Cruise TCC: Select the vehicle speed for TCC engagement at part throttle
WOT LoGear Spark: Adjust how much extra spark advance is commanded in first and second gear
BLM correction: Adjust for out of spec injectors or fuel pressure, adjusts all BLM's up or down.
System Options: Control the operation of open and closed loop at cruise and idle.
Enable Launch Assist and Lean Highway Cruise mode.
WOT TCC: Control the MPH at which the Torque Converter Clutch engages at full throttle.
Spoolup Fuel: Adjust how much fuel is delivered during the spoolup phase of full throttle.
LoGear Fuel: Adjust the Air/Fuel ratio for Full throttle operation in first and second gear.

In addition to the new adjustable features, the Extender and Extender Extreme chips have the following standard features:

False knock ignore: Prevents false knock from affecting performance
BLM lock at WOT: For more consistent full throttle fuel control
MAF Anti-dropout : To prevent surging and detonation from high airflow readings.
Anti-stalling software: Prevents stalling common with lightweight torque convverters.
And More.

False knock ignore: Prevents false knock from affecting performance....

That's interesting. I wonder how it determines false knock vs. the real thing?

~JM~

False knock ignore: Prevents false knock from affecting performance....

That's interesting. I wonder how it determines false knock vs. the real thing?

~JM~
Good question. I checked the W.W.W. and this is the difference between real and false. Should be a simple thing to program in the chip.

"False knock is characterized by a sharp spike to an immediately high value of KR followed instantly by the KR Recovery Rate. It doesn't grow with engine RPM or load, it jumps to a high value on throttle input and then recovers to a low value, or zero perhaps, as engine RPM continues to increase. Note that this is exactly opposite to the characterization of REAL KR. Remember, knock is simply specific noise detected by engine microphones. Because it happens to fall with in the frequency of real KR does not necessarily mean that it IS real KR."

Most real knock occurs under greatest load in 3rd or 4th gear going WOT not so much in 1 and 2 where false knock is usually most prevalent on launch.

The extreme you need probably is a 2X MAF reading to 512 g.

The extreme G, I use with my 55lb. Siemens injectors uses a 3X stock reading to 768 g.

Gen II with 3.5" LS1 MAF.

Contact TurboBob or go to Full Throttles' site for more info. on which is right for your combo.

I have a 3.5" MAF and a basic translator. I like to do my own "tuning", and my car is a 99% street car. Would it be worth looking into an extender chip, or is my classic TT street chip adaquate?

I have a 3.5" MAF and a basic translator. I like to do my own "tuning", and my car is a 99% street car. Would it be worth looking into an extender chip, or is my classic TT street chip adaquate?

TTT. I have the exact same question and similar setup. I run 60lb injectors and 3" MAF. I've always had great luck with TT chips but I'd like to change a few things and the Extender Extreme has the ability to change everything that I want to change. I'm just looking for any info from anybody that has made the switch and their impressions on basic driveability and any track performance difference if any.

I have a couple other questions too. Can all adjustments be made just using a scanmaster or do I need DS or PL? Do I need to do anything different with my translator or will the fueling adjustments just work when I change the chip as they don't now?

TIA.

Both chips work equally as well @ wot. It's all about boost, timing and fuel. That part is not going to be much different from one to the other.

Personally I run Bob Bailey's. I like his adjustable features.

RL

Good question. I checked the W.W.W. and this is the difference between real and false. Should be a simple thing to program in the chip.

"False knock is characterized by a sharp spike to an immediately high value of KR followed instantly by the KR Recovery Rate. It doesn't grow with engine RPM or load, it jumps to a high value on throttle input and then recovers to a low value, or zero perhaps, as engine RPM continues to increase. Note that this is exactly opposite to the characterization of REAL KR. Remember, knock is simply specific noise detected by engine microphones. Because it happens to fall with in the frequency of real KR does not necessarily mean that it IS real KR."

yeah, easy to tell them apart afterwards, not so easy to tell at the instant it happens.

False knock ignore has been implemented in several different ways by different people over the years, but they all ignore the knock sensor under different conditions of time, mph, rpm, or gear. None of them attempt to interpret knock events.

Bob

So can all adjustments be made with a scanmaster or do I need DS or PL to run the Extender Extreme chip?

You can make adjustments with the Scanmaster.... Although, having a powerlogger makes it much easier, as you can make changes directly on the PL screen (NOT DS).

You can make adjustments with the Scanmaster.... Although, having a powerlogger makes it much easier, as you can make changes directly on the PL screen (NOT DS).

Is there a place I can download a full manual to see how it all works? There's so much in it but I don't think I'll make a lot of changes once I get it set up.

manual for the chip or the PL?

Attachments

• Extender Tag and instructions (F06).pdf
    441.1 KB · Views: 621
  • PowerLogger Manual 1.0.0.pdf
    76.4 KB · Views: 145