Exhaust, What Is Needed??

Mark Harrington

I have my TTA running pretty good, it's got an old cheater turbo from the 1990s running 25lbs, Razors Alky kit, TT chip and injectors... Unfortunately that's were the mods really end at this point, I do not want to go with a bigger turbo, looking to fine tune/maximize my current set up.

the car is s cruiser mainly but I go to the track once a year or so to see what the mods have done, I'm running 12.1-12.2 at 115MPH with not so great 60' times so the car has 11s in it as it sits with better 60"...so here are the questions

1) I am running OEM headers, OEM downpipe, OEM sized exhaust other than a muffler upgrade (Magnaflow) how much would an exhaust help a car with my mods? I am thinking it is pretty restrictive, would you go cat back? or go downpipe first($$$$) or are both needed to really flow? What type of gains at my power level?

2) I am running the stock style MAF, would an LS MAF and translator help much or is it just for readings over the 255 grains?

3) how to 60' well on MT drag radials (stock wheels, 16") the car has Edelbrock control arms/panhard bar, LCA relocation brackets, Monroe Formula GP shocks, it's not really set up for the 1/4 but handles great

Pronto

The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.
As far as the MAF goes, I would go Translator/LS MAF just for it's reliability and extra air flow. If you only go once a year I wouldn't worry about going faster. You need to go more often learn to launch it better.

Mark Harrington

As far as the MAF goes, I would go Translator/LS MAF just for it's reliability and extra air flow. If you only go once a year I wouldn't worry about going faster. You need to go more often learn to launch it better.
Thanks Pronto, I have run the track many times in the past, my track is New England Dragway which is notoriously slick and I have only gone on "street nights" I can't leave with more than 4-5 PSI, best 60' is 1.86 on MT street SS 255/50/16 with a suspension not set up for drag racing, I swear the car launches better on the street than this track...

for reference the stock exhaust appears to be 2 1/8" OD with a single intermediate pipe into one muffler, two tailpipes, this must be a huge bottleneck

Pronto

Ah, so you've been there plenty. We've probably seen you and or talked. V8Killer has a TTA along with a GN and T. He's run similar times. Think his 60s in the TTA are similar with worn out MTs too. He's wanted to upgrade his exhaust for a while. The muffler has actually bowed out some from the boost. I think he's planning on adapting an aftermarket exhaust from a gen 4 TTA. After racing it several times he decided he didn't want to hurt the rear diff so I don't believe he'll bring it to the track again but who knows. If the bug hits he might. The MAF is a something I'd look at for sure. Do you know when you'll go again? I think you'll enjoy talking to him about the TTA.

Mark Harrington

Ah, so you've been there plenty. We've probably seen you and or talked. V8Killer has a TTA along with a GN and T. He's run similar times. Think his 60s in the TTA are similar with worn out MTs too. He's wanted to upgrade his exhaust for a while. The muffler has actually bowed out some from the boost. I think he's planning on adapting an aftermarket exhaust from a gen 4 TTA. After racing it several times he decided he didn't want to hurt the rear diff so I don't believe he'll bring it to the track again but who knows. If the bug hits he might. The MAF is a something I'd look at for sure. Do you know when you'll go again? I think you'll enjoy talking to him about the TTA.

I have been there plenty over the last 25 years or so, only once or twice a year with the TTA since I have had it. I will probably be up there in the next few weeks for the first time this year, waiting on a few friends to get their stuff straightened out so we can go in a group. I have had 3 other F Bodies and had a TBSS for quite a while which was fun to surprise people with.

I was thinking of the Boral exhaust but the system is $1000 just to buy, it is only 3" but that would be a big improvement over mine.

How often are you up there? It's always good to hang out and pick the brains of people with like cars

Pronto

We are all trying to get our stuff ready as well but we scoot up there to spectate. If you plan on going to race or spectate give me a pm. Al and I will try to get there to hang out. We are in the NH Muscle car club and the Granite State G body club and know a lot of TB guys in the area. Al's on FB but I avoid that cesspool. Always great to meet new turbo guys!

proptop

Mark,
Contact Fastair6 on the/this board. He has a TTA and has been where you are right know. I believe he might have all the parts that you mentioned about changing out. Not sure if they are for sale but it is worth a shot. I will call him tonight and let him know to look out for your PM.
Bob

Eticket

What converter do you have and how are you launching the car? Need to launch with “everything”

proptop

Launch to hard in a TTA and you will have a bunch of Broken rear end parts. 7.5 Aussie unit.
Bob

Mr.Spool

I have my TTA running pretty good, it's got an old cheater turbo from the 1990s running 25lbs, Razors Alky kit, TT chip and injectors... Unfortunately that's were the mods really end at this point, I do not want to go with a bigger turbo, looking to fine tune/maximize my current set up.

the car is s cruiser mainly but I go to the track once a year or so to see what the mods have done, I'm running 12.1-12.2 at 115MPH with not so great 60' times so the car has 11s in it as it sits with better 60"...so here are the questions

1) I am running OEM headers, OEM downpipe, OEM sized exhaust other than a muffler upgrade (Magnaflow) how much would an exhaust help a car with my mods? I am thinking it is pretty restrictive, would you go cat back? or go downpipe first($$$$) or are both needed to really flow? What type of gains at my power level?

2) I am running the stock style MAF, would an LS MAF and translator help much or is it just for readings over the 255 grains?

3) how to 60' well on MT drag radials (stock wheels, 16") the car has Edelbrock control arms/panhard bar, LCA relocation brackets, Monroe Formula GP shocks, it's not really set up for the 1/4 but handles great
Turn the boost up!

joed

yes it's a stock downpipe
I should have said...I see you have a stock DP...however it seems it could be holding back some power and nobody mentioned it yet. But you said you don't want to change setup...what do you guys think a better DP offers this combo?

TTA976

save your money for a bigger downpipe , they are a sweet piece. Not needed till low low 11s but... for sure.. run a larger exhaust housing on the turbo. It’s easier to control boost with an internal gate this way.

Mark Harrington

just installed a Bison 5957 as the old turbo snapped the shaft... I'll be looking into the exhaust upgrades over the winter, def going to need a downpipe, I'll have to figure out if I want to do a whole system or just a dump off the downpipe

Mark Harrington

We are all trying to get our stuff ready as well but we scoot up there to spectate. If you plan on going to race or spectate give me a pm. Al and I will try to get there to hang out. We are in the NH Muscle car club and the Granite State G body club and know a lot of TB guys in the area. Al's on FB but I avoid that cesspool. Always great to meet new turbo guys!
Planning on NED tomorrow night if you guys are up there loom for me....

Pronto

We will be going up tonight. Last time we were there, the tech in was super slow so get there early and go right to tech in.