Exhaust Replacement

TED73

My stock exhaust system finally needs a replacement. It sounds nice but after driving it for 10 minutes, I can't hear myself think. I want to keep it stock as I don't use it much.

Any recommendation and shops in Lehigh Valley or Eastern PA area I can go to?

If you have some tools and a weekend the Pypes SGG50R cat back exhaust is a nice project and you’ll end up with a way better, longer lasting (409 SS) system than the average exhaust shop can build you.

I think the Hooker catback exhaust (16810HKR) is a nice system that’s a litte cheaper, but its only aluminized steel. Some sites say with mufflers and some say without. You can call Holley Performance at 866.464.6553 to be sure.

You can get a factory reproduction exhaust from Highway stars, but its twice the money.

I think most have installed their exhaust systems in a have day or so, but no need to rush that’s why I say weekend. No need to add frustration in our lives.

If you do go to an exhaust shop here is a muffler chart that may be helpful, although, this was on a fox bodied moostang.

535AE781-2D47-4E8B-BB5D-20BCFC81DF24.jpeg

It seems the straight through perforated core mufflers make the most HP and are some of the quietest, for what it’s worth.

Buy the Pypes system and be done with it. To anyone else it will look stock and sounds nice and quiet at idle, very low rumble, you can hear the serpentine belt noise over it.

race pro is actually quieter than the street pro on pypes,if you want stock highways stars has the same factory replica but twice the dollar
magna flow is the other top winner , I had my tips powder coated black to look like I wanted

About 2008 finally had to replace mine. Did a lot of research and ended up with the stainless system from Jack "Mad Jack" Cotton. Don't know if he still has the same system but it fit like a glove and had the hangers welded in the right stock location unlike others that needed holes drilled in the frame for the tail pipes.
IIrc they came with magnaflows, idles quiet almost like stock. A bit loud accelerating but quiets right down at cruise, at least to my ear. Said made in Canada on the pieces but that's OK, we still own them right?
I know you said stock but that crossflow muffler is in an awkward place, heavy and makes it almost impossible if you need to get to the rear brake line above axle housing.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Yesterday, I was off from work and tend always do some damage when alone. I jacked the car up and tried to loosen up bolts that secures the y-pipe to the cat. I succeeded on two of the bolts.....you can imagine what happen to the remaining two..........you got it, tore of the head of the bolt. I'm thinking of giving it a try and to replace the exhaust system on my own.

Though, I better do some serious research on removing the two threaded studs stuck in the cat.

Race Pro 2.5 cat back Pypes System is what you are looking for.

Stay away from the Hooker system. Lots of drone.

Race Pro 2.5 cat back Pypes System is what you are looking for.

Is there a particular reason he should stay away from the Hooker system. At his power level the Aerochamber mufflers should be acceptable and it’s a little more cost effective was my thought.

Thanks for the info.

Is there a particular reason he should stay away from the Hooker system. At his power level the Aerochamber mufflers should be acceptable and it’s a little more cost effective was my thought.

Thanks for the info.

Old saying.........Cheap, fast, good. You get to pick 2.

My saying is Cheap will always disappoint you at some point. Don't believe? Live and learn.

I wish him luck in his quest.

Last edited:
Kirban’s sells the Pypes system, and he’s fairly local, less than an hour drive. Save on shipping.

My thing right now is should I keep it stock w/ the muffler above the axle (original location) or go with the 2 piece mufflers. I do like the look where the pipes exit from behind the wheels so I don't want to loose that appearance. Right now, it's just a preference.

On a side note, I can't believe I had the car for just about 21 years. I just replaced the front bumper fillers. Now, I got to work on the exhaust system. Just like maintaining a house! Hahaha.....

My thing right now is should I keep it stock w/ the muffler above the axle (original location) or go with the 2 piece mufflers. I do like the look where the pipes exit from behind the wheels so I don't want to loose that appearance. Right now, it's just a preference.

On a side note, I can't believe I had the car for just about 21 years. I just replaced the front bumper fillers. Now, I got to work on the exhaust system. Just like maintaining a house! Hahaha.....

A house with GREMLINS!:D:eek:

I had a Pypes 2.5 inch system for a long time. I liked it a lot. Now I have a GN1 3" system. I Love it!

Attachments

• P4030203.zip
    19.5 MB · Views: 73
I'm running the Hooker cat back with the Aero mufflers. I have ZERO drone. I coated the pipes with some paint to add to their life and the system is still rust free. It's the only system I've had. Idle has a low rumble and driving around is quite enough to hear the radio. When I added the THDP and removed the cat years ago it did get louder but not obnoxious and I'm old and done with loud. 2 of my friends have the not available ATR Pitbull system, one in 3" and the other is 2.5. Both sound alot better than the Hooker. Hearing different exhausts on cars is important. I've heard Mark Huffman's and his sound is very close to the ATR. He has a full post on how he installed it if you want to take the time to look it up. Now you may want to by a system from a vendor and have shop install it if you don't have the time, skills or tools.
I can't explain why TurboTGuy had drone with his. I just know I don't. It was on my car new when I bought it. The engine was stock. Been through a new build and refresh, same exhaust. The engine exhaust sound did change after the last refresh. I'd say it sound more stout when getting on it but still no drone.

A house with GREMLINS!:D:eek:

I had a Pypes 2.5 inch system for a long time. I liked it a lot. Now I have a GN1 3" system. I Love it!

And in this zip ladies and gentleman, we have a rare glimpse of the Turbo T Guy???
***Applause Welcome Now***

Sorry only funning ya!

So, is that the GN1 or the Pypes?

Sounds pretty good.

Any drone from the GN1??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the GN1 and no drone to speak of.

And yes, that's me, about 30lbs ago. The kid talking in the background lives across the street. He's learning disabled but loves that TR. Whenever I have it out of the garage he gets all giddy and comes over to talk about it. He's a great kid, I gave him a ride that day, (with dad along in the back seat) and you wouldn't have been able to SLAP the grin off of his face (dad, too).

That made me grin even bigger.

I'll post up some pics of the install tomorrow.

It's the GN1 and no drone to speak of.

And yes, that's me, about 30lbs ago. The kid talking in the background lives across the street. He's learning disabled but loves that TR. Whenever I have it out of the garage he gets all giddy and comes over to talk about it. He's a great kid, I gave him a ride that day, (with dad along in the back seat) and you wouldn't have been able to SLAP the grin off of his face (dad, too).

That made me grin even bigger.

I'll post up some pics of the install tomorrow.

Yeah my wife just told me she wants a divorce. Says there’s about 30-40 pounds of me that she’s not legally married to. (Probably closer to fifty but I’m not helping her out with that)! Besides I was scrawny when we got married, like 185 and 6’1 3/4”?? Only kidding (about the divorce that is)! Lol!

Great story on the boy and his dad!

Your GN1 exhaust doesn’t appear to hang as low as some of the others I’ve seen. Or is it that we can’t see it as well??

Either way, sounds good there. Does it still sound good when you’re on it? That’s my biggest exhaust pet peeve with our cars, as some sound OK toddling and idling, but, go WOT and it sounds like chit (or worse an airplane)??

Sorry OP, I’ve been looking too!! Trying to find an ATR Kit now myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately no exhaust for our cars solves the wot sound of a v6, it just sucks. I prefer a quiter sound with the turbo whistle.

Wide open throttle is a different sound with the Buick Turbo V6, no doubt. It's not very pretty, however, I just consider it a "raspberry" to the guy that just got gapped by a tuna boat with a Buick emblem sticking up out of the header panel....... ;)