Exhaust question

ShawnR

Fixer of crap..
My mufflers have finally bit the dust (split out the bottom). Installed by Midas in 1995 with "lifetime" warranty. The shell is only about 10" long with a total length of 15" and 2.25 inlets. They can't find anything the same size to replace the mufflers. I have scoured the internet and I can't find anything either.

So, does anyone here know if a GN "cat-back" system fit an 83 Regal? I currently have dual mufflers and the "new" systems have a single muffler behind the rear axle.

Midas said that if I can find a system, they will install for free and kick in some $$ to help cover the cost (yea, sure they will).

I'm open to ideas. I could just straight pipe it, but the V6 just doesn't sound right that way IMHO.

Thanks
Shawn

I know pypes sells just their mufflers alone and have on that is 2.25 and 14 inches long but the inlet outlet are offset
are you looking for a whole kit or just the mufflers

I was hoping to get just mufflers since everything else is in decent shape. Mine are center/center now, but I assume 1 being offset would work. Is 14 inches the total length or the body length?

total length , I also found some center to center ones but think they were only 13 " long total length , I try to post a link later on ;)

I would suggest Vibrant’s ultra quiet resonators.
I’ve used them over the years to quiet down exhaust systems.
I’ve tried them as mufflers on my ‘94 Olds Cutlass Convertible 3.4L DOHC, a little too loud for a Vert.

Some have compared them to the ATR Pitbull mufflers for the ‘86-‘87 TR.
They are very deep toned and I think they would sound great on a turbo car.

The case is 304 polished SS (case size 5”x8”x 10” L. [14” overall]). One review said 409 SS perforated inside tube.

Check them out.

7A0DB823-1C54-4B22-88AA-6230938434E9.jpeg

I had a walker stainless steel system and blew out the mufflers just like you. I straight piped it and it sounded good to me. The turbo really knocks down the sound.

The walker system is probably what Midas used, but it's been out of prodcution for a long time.

I believe the factory installed resonators, not mufflers on the '82/83 dual set up.

I would suggest Vibrant’s ultra quiet resonators.
I’ve used them over the years to quiet down exhaust systems.
I’ve tried them as mufflers on my ‘94 Olds Cutlass Convertible 3.4L DOHC, a little too loud for a Vert.

Some have compared them to the ATR Pitbull mufflers for the ‘86-‘87 TR.
They are very deep toned and I think they would sound great on a turbo car.

The case is 304 polished SS (case size 5”x8”x 10” L. [14” overall]). One review said 409 SS perforated inside tube.

Check them out.

View attachment 345505

I finally ordered a set of these. The blown out muffler was finally getting too annoying. Even if it doesn't quiet it down, at least it won't be dumping the sound directly under the car.

I'll admit that I am shocked just how much the resonator changed the sound. It is more like a smooth "hum" with a slight rumble on the side I replaced. The other side still has a 25 year old Midas muffler and seems to have more of a "snap, crackle, pop" sound. I'm not sure yet if I will even like it, but something needed to be done. In hindsight, I should have just tried a straight pipe first since it would have cost almost nothing.

I'll admit that I am shocked just how much the resonator changed the sound. It is more like a smooth "hum" with a slight rumble on the side I replaced. The other side still has a 25 year old Midas muffler and seems to have more of a "snap, crackle, pop" sound. I'm not sure yet if I will even like it, but something needed to be done. In hindsight, I should have just tried a straight pipe first since it would have cost almost nothing.

I was hoping you would report back with your thoughts.
Do you think it’s too quiet or just a different sound?

Need to wait for rain to stop to take it for a drive. Initial thought was too quiet, but I'll update after a drive. I was surprised to see that the Midas mufflers I pulled off were a straight thru design instead of having baffles. They were install in 93 and Midas said "Too bad" on the lifetime replacement.

Attachments

• midas1.jpg
    midas1.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 138
Yea, it's too quite. I shouldn't straight piped it and saved the $$. I was hoping for the low rumble like my cousin's WRX. Little 2.0l has a nice low rumble and not just sure how they do that.

Yea, it's too quite. I shouldn't straight piped it and saved the $$. I was hoping for the low rumble like my cousin's WRX. Little 2.0l has a nice low rumble and not just sure how they do that.

With aftermarket exhausts they do have a low rumble.
To me, the odd sputtering they make sounds like they’ve not running right.