Exhaust Manifold removal

rhturbo

Hello everyone,
I think I have a crack in my drivers side exhaust manifold. How much time does it take to remove assuming studs dont break? Just trying to get an idea of what a shop would charge (87 GN)

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Anything old like that is going to be expensive. If it has been off before and the fasteners have some nevrsieze on em removal could be under an hour. If not and even one fastener breakels the exponent is introduced. Could take 3-5 times or more depending on what breaks and how many break.

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
Start penetrating oil now, PB Blaster, Kroil, something good. You get to the studs the easiest through the fenderwell with the wheel off. The crossover studs will be the most likely to be seized.

'87 Turbo "T"

What a complete shitshow!!
Yep. I’d say about a 1/2 to an hour. Now granted my car came from SC. But I was able to crack all the bolts, crossover pipe as well with no issues.

Easy access to crossover bolts on DS. Go trew wheelwell for lower bolts, can get the other three from top. Some wranglin’ & out she comes.

'87 Turbo "T"

What a complete shitshow!!
Yep. Just did mine this past Friday. I’d say about a 1/2 to an hour. Now granted my car came from SC. But I was able to crack all the bolts, crossover pipe as well with no issues.

Easy access to crossover bolts on DS. Go trew wheelwell for lower bolts, can get the other three from top. Some wranglin’ & out she comes.

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Hello everyone,
I think I have a crack in my drivers side exhaust manifold. How much time does it take to remove assuming studs dont break? Just trying to get an idea of what a shop would charge (87 GN)
Recently removed mine. It wasn't as bad as I expected. Granted it's not exactly easy, but it is easier than the passenger side. My car is rust/corrosion free, but the engine is oily. The cross-over bolts required some penetrating oil & then they came loose fairly easy. Nothing broke. Had my D-side header welded, but it warped. Ended up buying new D-side header from TA Performance. Have not installed yet.

KC87

For sure, soak all the bolts with everything including some 50-50 trans fluid and naphta-acetone for a few days.
Mine has never been in salt either but broke one of the cross over bolts. Luckily I was able to get a foot long drill into the stud and it finally twisted out. Talk about crapping a cinder block. o_O
Afterwards put copper anti-seize on the bolts before assembly.

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
The bolts to the head come off no problem. Go ahead and snap off the two crossover bolts. Take the header to the nearest muffler shop and have them remove the two snapped studs from the header. They do this for a living and will have them out faster than you can shotgun a beer. Get two new studs and nuts from them. Find a welder who knows how to weld mild stainless.