exhaust interchange question

rodjr

I have a 1980 turbo v6 i will be using for a hybrid project. I am missing the drivers exhaust manifold, and am learning they are not so easy to find.
So my question is, will the 84-85 tube style headers physically fit the heads? Will they interfere with any other stock components like dipstick, starter etc? I am fine with fabricating the up, down or crossover pipe, and i will probably have to cut the driver side and rework a couple tubes for the steering shaft anyway, as they appear to stand out from the engine more than cast manifolds.
I guess i am asking..... if the engine was on a stand, could i grab 1984 headers and bolt them to the heads?

I have a 1980 turbo v6 i will be using for a hybrid project. I am missing the drivers exhaust manifold, and am learning they are not so easy to find.
So my question is, will the 84-85 tube style headers physically fit the heads? Will they interfere with any other stock components like dipstick, starter etc? I am fine with fabricating the up, down or crossover pipe, and i will probably have to cut the driver side and rework a couple tubes for the steering shaft anyway, as they appear to stand out from the engine more than cast manifolds.
I guess i am asking..... if the engine was on a stand, could i grab 1984 headers and bolt them to the heads?
Will bolt right on, no interference. External dimensions are same

Will bolt right on, no interference. External dimensions are same
Nice! I may have to pick up one of the cheap stainless sets on ebay, and modify to suit my chassis. Has anybody had any experience with how bad the quality is? A $200 set of stainless headers screams china to me, but i work in a fab shop and "adjustments" would be a matter of handing them to one of our welders and telling him what i want. I just would prefer not to start from scratch.

The 86/87 drivers side is same as the 84/85. The pass side is different cause of the turbo location. Most the chinese headers sold on Ebay are for 86/87 and will either warp or already be warped to begin with. You get what you pay for!

The 86/87 drivers side is same as the 84/85. The pass side is different cause of the turbo location. Most the chinese headers sold on Ebay are for 86/87 and will either warp or already be warped to begin with. You get what you pay for!
Yeah, thats what i figured.
I did find some for 84-85 but they scare me, I was just hoping to get a starting point so i would not have to fab every bend.
Is it the flange that warps? If so i can cut it off and laser a thicker one, that would be easy.
This is a pretty big project and i am TRYING not to make every part a huge project of its own, maybe i can find a stock set of 84-85's, are they generally easier to find than the earlier style? I have not seen any oem stuff on ebay.

From the two horror stories Ive read. One was the flange was warped and the second one a tube cracked after a month of use. Best bet is to watch Ebay or the parts for sale section here. They are a little hard to find but will show up from time to time. charlief1 on here may be of help locating them or having a set laying around at his shop. He is a before black (pre-84 TR's) guru also. Good luck boss!

You should be able to mix and match the 1980 cast manifolds with 1983/85 tube headers. Just find a 1983/85 drivers side tube header - it will mate to the 1980 crossover.

Or find a 1979/80 drivers side cast manifold from a non-turbo engine. The driver's side is the same, turbo or not. I run both 1980 cast manfiolds with the orignal '83 crossover and '83 up-pipe on my car.

http://www.beforeblack.net/exhaust.htm

The aftermarket hot air ebay headers work with very little mods look up speed daddy headers in hot air section took very little effort

Quality is better then most original units. Trust me, when it comes to carb turbo stuff... take whats available and make the quality up to par. there is so very little left for us get it while its available.

Thanks guy's, i was able to find a good condition set of 83's for about half the cost of the ebay headers, so going that direction for now.