EXACT MESUREMENTS FOR DRIVESHAFT FOR FORD 9"

LIVE4RDO

Hey crowd.

So I'm about to order a Ford 9".

For the guys that did it already, could you please dig into your records and see if you have exact measurements for the driveshaft with 200r4 trans

Much, much appreciated.

Last edited:
I hate to tell you this because I know you want a jump on things. But I would wait until the rear is in and measure it up then.

When I swapped to a TH400, I used a balanced driveshaft from an 8 second Buick with the exact same set-up. The shaft was 3/4" short of the acceptable range. I didn't know why I had such a bad vibration while cruising. I jacked it up, put it in gear, watched it spin, and could see the wobble on the trans output shaft. Had to have one made. I think I went with 1-1/8" longer.

Hey crowd.

So I'm about to order a Ford 9".

For the guys that did it already, could you please dig into your records and see if you have exact measurements for the driveshaft with 200r4 trans

Much, much appreciated.
I run a 9 inch and a 200.do yourself the biggest favor you can and measure it order to your cars exact specs.i used pst and went with a 3.5 very reasonable.

In my case, I had the wrong driveshaft and trans yolk in hand.
Measuring was super easy.

-With the full weight of the car on its suspension.

-I just inserted a 3/4 inch spacer (stacked washers) into the yolk.

-Slipped it over the output shaft of the trans until it stopped hard.

-Then measured center to center of the u-joints.

Done. No fancy calculations or information required.

I brought that measurement to a local Heavy Equipment and Big-Rig driveshaft shop called Excelsior Machine here in NY. Asked him to build it to my number and high speed balance it. A day later it was ready. I noticed it didn't have any weights tacked to it. I asked him why? He said "You got lucky. About one in ten are good right off the bench and you don't need it". I was very cautious and doubled up on my questions. And he repeatedly assured me it was "dead-on perfect".

He was right. It's been to 146 mph with much more in it, and it's smooth as glass.

Last edited: