Engine Stalling in Reverse

phrosty

Hey guys...just installed an EA Stage II with 9.5" LU torque converter... Everything seems to be shifting and working good. Only thing I'm not too sure about is why the engine keeps stalling out as soon as I put it in reverse. Wasn't too sure if this is normal with a smaller converter.

The only way it doesn't stall is if I increase the RPM's prior to switching into reverse. However doing this causes the trans to slam into reverse pretty hard, and if I don't keep the RPM's up it will eventually stall out. Occasionally it still stalls out immediately, even after increasing the RPM's before making the switch into reverse.

One more thing which seems a little strange is when I switch into Neutral the engine RPM's spike pretty high for about 10-15 seconds before settling back down.

Scanmaster readings @ idle:
O2: 531-636
AF: 05
L8: 33-40
BAT: 13.3
Int: 128
BL: 134
CLE: 168-170
ATS: 126
R: 850-900
TPS: .44
IAC: 10-11
MAL: 00

It almost sounds as if the converter is locking up when you put it in reverse......but not sure how that could happen just in reverse and not in drive???
Try unplugging the 4 pin electrical connector on the side of the tranny and try it again. That would eliminate and electrical cause.

May need to adjust the P/N-backup light switch at the base of the steering column. The P/N switch portion goes to the ECM to let it know that the shift position has changed from park to reverse, or into neutral and so on.

This lets the ECM compensate for the change in engine load.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Hey thanks for the quick replies guys

v6turbo87
I already tried the 4 pin electrical connector on the side of the tranny yesterday to no avail

RmvBfrFlght
didn't get a chance to try your method as Vince's method worked.

Thanks Vince! Worked like a charm! (y) :D

What do you think was causing the problem?

i ve had high rpm spikes shifting from rev to fwd, chased that gremlin for awhile! had a vaccuum hose leaking.