Engine runs very rich

buicktom61

Hi,
only for understanding and maybe I made a mistake when I made the tune up of the engine.
My engine is allways running very rich whether I use close or open loop. Performance is okay, but I am not shure it could be more if it would be running leaner. What was done on the engine, you see in my signature. Exhaust manifolds are looking good and have no cracks.
I have 12 miles on a gallon. Don't know if it is normal for 60 lbs injectors.
Looking forward to your answers.
Greetings from Germany
Thomas

What are you using to tune with?
12 mpg on those injectors is not "normal".

Set fuel pressure on 38 lbs and use Scanmaster for tune up.
How much miles should I get with the 60lbs injector by proper tuning?

Erics 5.7 chip requires 43-44 lbs line off. Post your Scanmaster numbers with the engine warmed up. I assume your Translator is set correctly for your chip and MAF. Throw a new Denso 02 sensor in it if you haven't already done so if your 02's are moving slowly.

Erics 5.7 chip requires 43-44 lbs line off. Post your Scanmaster numbers with the engine warmed up. I assume your Translator is set correctly for your chip and MAF. Throw a new Denso 02 sensor in it if you haven't already done so if your 02's are moving slowly.
O2 is moving slowly. Will post the Scanmaster numbers tomorrow. Thanks for information.

O2 is moving slowly. Will post the Scanmaster numbers tomorrow. Thanks for information.
The TT chip is an open loop idle chip and you should expect the O2 to move slowly. 12 MPG is not bad if you drive agressively.

How far away from Straubenhart

The TT chip is an open loop idle chip and you should expect the O2 to move slowly. 12 MPG is not bad if you drive agressively.

A fresh 02 sensor will have the 02's change approximately once every second. When you start seeing them move slower the sensor is on its way out.

Straubenhardt is about 220 miles from here. My driveng style is not agressively. More passiv.

Okay, here at´re the Scanmaster numbers: O2 785, AF 05, L8 38, Int 128, BL 126, Clt 162, Ats 80, r 825, tps .44, IAC 22, cc runing between 85-230. I checked the maf translator: on/on/on/off , base 4 and wot 0. Set base to 3. O2 numbers schange quicker than I thought.
Let me know, what you are thinking.

Are all the spark plugs black?

Take it for a ride and let it get into closed loop. The little blinky dot on scanmaster will go solid when in closed loop. Switch the scanmaster to BL. Take note of the number while you are cruising. Then lightly accelerate and take note of the number. Then accelerate a little more and take note of number and so on and so forth. Do it at like 5-6 different load levels. Accelerate a little more each time and record the bl #.

Then do a wot pull in third gear from 55 to 75-80. Press the recall buton on the scanmaster and write down the numbers. Hit both buttons on the scanmaster and write down the MPH # as well. Make sure you put the throttle all the way down when going wot.
Also peak in the rear view when going wot and see if you are rolling coal.

It may be rich at wot and ok down low. We need more data.. Because those numbers above look like money..

Rick

Last edited:

Take it for a ride and let it get into closed loop. The little blinky dot on scanmaster will go solid when in closed loop. Switch the scanmaster to BL. Take note of the number while you are cruising. Then lightly accelerate and take note of the number. Then accelerate a little more and take note of number and so on and so forth. Do it at like 5-6 different load levels. Accelerate a little more each time and record the bl #.

Then do a wot pull in third gear from 55 to 75-80. Press the recall buton on the scanmaster and write down the numbers. Hit both buttons on the scanmaster and write down the MPH # as well. Make sure you put the throttle all the way down when going wot.

It may be rich at wot and ok down low. We need more data.. Because those numbers above look like money..

Rick
Will do in the next days. Thanks for instruction.

Kinked return fuel line? Symptoms would be worse at idle/low rpm than higher rpm as less fuel needs to return to tank.

Rick
Did it today in close loop: at idle BL is 126, then went after start in different driving condition to 124/123/122/125 and 128 on wot. Made test on third with wot but only saw O2 at 693. May be have to do last test again.