Engine rebuild

dragonational

That Guy
OK guys and Gals here goes. I had a little trouble with my motor(head gaskets) so instead of replacing the gaskets i got a new .30 block and i am looking at going into the 12s. What i am requesting is any info on what i should do. I am redoing the whole internals in the motor. .30 pistons rings i am thinking of a 212/212/ or 206/206 cam. I was also thinking about making it a roller motor. I will be adding a t33 and an Art Carr rebuild on the tranny. I will also be upgrading the injectors though i am not sure on the size. Any info or suggestions will be appreciated and looked at carefully. Thanks in advace. Harry

Depends on the condition of the internals... If the crank, rods, and block are good then you're set, just get them reconditioned and machined as needed to "clean up". Forged pistons and file-fit rings, new factory timing set, new front cover. If you do ported heads, might as well get a Comp 206/206, new lifters, and some 980 springs. Roller is good but not required to run 12's or 11's for that matter. Might as well port-match the intake. Hold it together with fresh ARP hardware. The rest of the power is in your combo. 12's are pretty easy if everything else is up to spec. Run enough turbo, injector, and stall, and you should be good for 11's if you want.

You do want to keep it all "hotair", right? Intercooled, a mild engine like that would be good for 10's with a girdle and the right combo.

So far i have ordered the forged pistons and rings, a 210/205 cam and the lifters. I will be keeping it a hotair i dont want to intercool it. I am not going to make it a roller either. I am gonna put that money somewhere else. Thanks for the reply i will keep you all posted on the rebuild. Harry

Have you looked at Postons "High Performance Rebuild Kits"? They look pretty good to me. They include just about everything and the price looks pretty affordable. I am looking at getting one of them in the near future.

I've run the 210-205 cam and liked it. Forged pistons are a good start. Run ARP rod, head, and main bolts. I would recommend gapless rings. I run them with absolutely no vapor out the breathers. My dad has them on his stageII car and his daily driver. The daily driver seems to go forever with clean looking oil so I guess there really is less blowby and oil contamination. It's a good idea to smooth the rough casting in the valley area. Also removing the top thread or two from the headbolt holes doesn't hurt either. It's worth porting the heads while it's apart, especially if you're not running an intercooler. Porting the intake manifold is a must while it's apart. You can run the Felpro 1200 intake gaskets with ported heads and intake.