Engine preservation

wb_7354

I have The complete long block from my car sitting on a engine stand in my garage. It’s the original 60k unopened engine from my GN. What is the best method to preserve it from rusting the internal machined surfaces such as valves, valve seats and cylinders, etc. anything else? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spray in all down with a whole can of wd40 ...and wrap in cheese cloth ....and then bag and date it ...

just joking around ... depends where you are located ..as far as humidity levels ... the more oil on internals the better..and if everything sealed up... .. @KC87 ...likes to keep his right by his bed side .. so he can rub on it ... when he is feeling down ... :p

just joking around ... depends where you are located ..as far as humidity levels ... the more oil on internals the better..and if everything sealed up... .. @KC87 ...likes to keep his right by his bed side .. so he can rub on it ... when he is feeling down ... :p

No, so I can rub on it when its feeling "up" :p:p
And I only use Astroglide to oil a stored engine. :LOL:

Lol. I’m in Western NY heated garage. I don’t have any plans for this engine so it may sit here a long time.

I bought a 1 gallon can of WD40 & mixed it 50/50 with clean 30 wt. engine oil in a plastic mist sprayer bottle. That worked very well to preserve freshly machined surfaces when I lived in the rainy Northwest. WD40 by itself does not have enough body to it & will evaporate. WD stands for Water Displacement. I do not use black plastic trash bags to cover parts as they will deteriorate & stick to the part. Use the thick clear plastic bags or wrap with clear plastic painters drop cloth. Then place a couple of black plastic bags over that. The first bag will become covered with dust. The next will be clean, etc.

@WB7354
Maybe you should be more concerned about preserving your life in ny living under the dictator cuomo-sexual. o_O
Years ago just coated everything with some transmission fluid and it worked fine for about 8 months until engine went back together.

heated garage.
So,you don't have an environment that encourages rust. Remove the rocker arms,cover it with a cloth,cover it with plastic,and allow it to breath.If you want to coat something,this stuff is amazing as a rust inhibitor. People use this stuff to protect the bare metal finishes on their rat rods and customs with bare steel bodies.

Years ago just coated everything with some transmission fluid and it worked fine for about 8 months until engine went back together.
I've had good success with trans fluid as well. WD40 is a very poor rust inhibitor as it evaporates. That's probably one of it's main attributes that helps it to displace water.

Water
Displacement

40TH formula

I appreciate all the great ideas. I am hoping to preserve it well enough to be able to just drop it in if needed. If the race season ever happens I don’t want to miss any time.

Haha you guys have been quarantined too long! [emoji23]

ive been working every day still..im just nuts LOL... true story on the cheese cloth though... along one of our many fishing trips ...we did some work on a guys roof that owned a set of condos where we like to stay...and upon finishing the job for trade on some vacancy...he asked me how he should store the left over ricks of shingles he had .. I turned back and looked a Terry with a grin a told him to wrap them in cheese cloth and put them in the freezer until he needed them again... he looked confused then I just walked away ...we were all laughing our asses of for a good while on that one ...Gimme dolla :p

Last edited: