Engine Modifications - Hot Air

scpls19398

Hot Air Fan
Good afternoon all. I am ready to begin work on my engine, BWR is going to build the up-pipe,downpipe, and a set of headers. will probably use their new alky kit also. I have champion aluminum gn-1 heads, and a intake that will be cut open to be ported, Jay is looking into a 60 series turbo in a 87 housing for it, I need some of you experts to talk to me about turbo,s as Jay does not seem worried about it pulling oil without the seal, and if this is not a problem why can't I get a BB Billet Turbo. Additionally I need a roller cam advice on a 214 or 218. I have some experience with the intercooled cars but this is my first hot air build. If any of you guru's out there (you know who you are) feel free to give me a call.

George Bradley

Good afternoon all. I am ready to begin work on my engine, BWR is going to build the up-pipe,downpipe, and a set of headers. will probably use their new alky kit also. I have champion aluminum gn-1 heads, and a intake that will be cut open to be ported, Jay is looking into a 60 series turbo in a 87 housing for it, I need some of you experts to talk to me about turbo,s as Jay does not seem worried about it pulling oil without the seal, and if this is not a problem why can't I get a BB Billet Turbo. Additionally I need a roller cam advice on a 214 or 218. I have some experience with the intercooled cars but this is my first hot air build. If any of you guru's out there (you know who you are) feel free to give me a call.

George Bradley

There are NO ball bearing carbon seals, there is just no point! a cabon seal always drags just a little bit, that little bit of drag always slows the turbo down some. Going to a ball bearing unit wouldnt have any advantage, as it would spool NO faster than a journal bearing unit........ so all the extra cash for??????? that ability to say you have ball bearings. try a turbo with no carbon seal in your car, as soon as you let off that pedal be ready to look like mosquito control. it will pour smoke.

So you are the one Jay wants seals for eh? LOL! were all in this together now! funs stuff....... what about going to a regular 86/87 unit? or are you set on a big HP number? the best thing I can say about setting up a carbon seal in a modern turbo is there will be some machining to the backing plate, that will fit a standard carbon seal into it. unless you have a 3 prong dynamic seal, then an off the shelf carbon retro fit seal kit will pop right in. depends on the turbo. I will do my best to find out what I can!

:biggrin: A.j.

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Seem a lil short tempered there. Jay was given me information that threw me, that's why I posted. It should not be that difficult to meet my goals time and power wise but.....................I like technology, ie electronic boost control, a lil laughing gas to start, hell just a quick lil street car. Only gets driven a couple times a month. with a reply like yours mabey I will just convert it to intercooled:eek: :eek: :eek:

Seem a lil short tempered there. Jay was given me information that threw me, that's why I posted. It should not be that difficult to meet my goals time and power wise but.....................I like technology, ie electronic boost control, a lil laughing gas to start, hell just a quick lil street car. Only gets driven a couple times a month. with a reply like yours mabey I will just convert it to intercooled:eek: :eek: :eek:

Aww my bad, had no intentions of sounding angry er anything. was fooling around, but sometimes its hard to pass in letters across the interweb. I guess my smiley face is kinda hard to see. :redface: :redface: :redface:

no harm meant, anyways, there are options to upgrading the turbo, and this is what I was suggesting. I have seen some other carbon seal conversions done to bigger turbos, and they actually ran fairly well, I myself have a pt70 that Charlie helped me to convert to a carbon seal, and now im working on a 6152E. I could pass the info along that I have learned from building these 2 and hopefully you can attempt it yourself or at least get an idea of whats involved.
Some turbos are the same in terms of type of seal, and that makes them easy to just swap, while others have seals that require a conversion kit. From what you were saying, I understand what Jay is planning I think, and I aggree with his thoughts. If you can use an 86/87 housing - then swapping to a carbon seal would be super easy, fairly cheap and off the shelf. even, just swapping an 86/87 wheel and housing on would be a fun and cheap start. and to do it, I have a converted housing that is made to fit a HA manifold, and a spare 86/87 wheel. Interested?

:biggrin: A.j.:biggrin:

George Bradley

I would listen to Jay and let him do what he thinks is best.
When you get him to work on your car, you pay for the work, but you also get advice from his MANY years of experience. :cool:
Oh, be sure to post pics when you get it all done.

Slow Progress

Well Jay ordered parts yesterday, Looks like things are coming together. Will be installing a 340 fuel pump and hot wire this weekend, and delivering the car to Jay hopefully following week. We are going to continue without installing the GN-1's or Cam. That will be phase two. Phase one will be a 6662 billet wheel turbo, custom built headers, downpipe, and up-pipe, maftpro, chip, alky, and wideband. Got to make sure jay takes lots of pictures.:biggrin: