Engine install technique

spaulding

Hi Guys,
I am about to install the engine and trans in my 84 T. I removed them separately, engine first with hoist then the trans from under car with a small floor trans jack. This is a home garage with no lift. My question being is the install easier with the engine and trans together or separate?
Thanks

Yes it is i've done it a few times.
You need a yolk for the trans to keep it from leaking all the fluid out.
You also need a leveler or "lazy susan" to tilt it up and out.
I'd make sure the trans lines go in at the same time.
Wait until its in to install the trq converter bolts under the car.

Hi Guys,
I am about to install the engine and trans in my 84 T. I removed them separately, engine first with hoist then the trans from under car with a small floor trans jack. This is a home garage with no lift. My question being is the install easier with the engine and trans together or separate?
Thanks
Off subject a little, but did you remove the turbo exhaust down pipe before the engine removal or after. ?

The exhaust was in place during removal and did not seem to be an issue or in the way. Archie, thanks for the reply, I will get a leveler and go for it.

The exhaust was in place during removal and did not seem to be an issue or in the way. Archie, thanks for the reply, I will get a leveler and go for it.

I dug up old pictures from almost 30 years ago
From nineteen hundred and ninety five.

20230313_085515.jpg
20230313_085504.jpg
20230313_085455.jpg

As harbor freight is a bit of a drive, I thought what the heck try it with what you have, where you are. I guessed on the angle and got lucky, went in at about 30 degrees nose low with some jimmying. The starter and exhaust were a little in the way but not a deal breaker. My wife was amazed that there was no swearing!

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 78
Thanks, the only thing I screwed up were the trans lines. Total pita, ended up getting new lines from inline tube (86-87 instead of 84-85 but that is another story). Had to jack the motor up to slip them in between/under the engine and past the motor mount. If anyone orders trans lines form them beware I don't think they know the difference in radiators (but maybe they sent me the wrong tubes) . I bent up the last 6 or so inches of the radiator side and the fit on the trans side was perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 55
By the way, speaking of taking care of your engine, have you ever considered getting your DPF cleaned? I recently used a service called www.30minutedpfclean.com and it made a big difference in my engine's performance.
@Chuck Leeper This is a spam account. User joined a few minutes ago, posted to recommend a business, and that's it. I don't think our cars have diesel particulate filters... So I dunno what he's talking about.

I wish my engine lift had a boom that long. I have one of the "standard" ones that seem to be the majority of engine hoists. I think it's a Big Red. Boom is too short to come out or go in from the front. I had to go over the fender to pull the engine. I plan to make some leg and boom extensions to make this work easier for the Buick.