Engine building stuff...

mike85gn

Get Bent!
I tried this in General Tech and got very few hits, but I'm thinking of pulling my engine to do some work on it. I just got a new ported intake manifold and a stock intercooler so I'm going to rig up a front mount Dutt. neck setup for my hot air. Now, I don't want to just rush in and just bolt everything on and go, I want to do preventative stuff to make sure the engine will be strong and last as long as possible. I'm not shooting for more than low 12's high 11's at the track on race fuel right now. I've got a TA33 and some 009's, so I should have more than enough turbo/injector. But my concern is what else should I do? I already know the following:

Double roller timing chain
Valve springs (which ones to get?)
Mild headwork to clean them up and let them flow more

Should I do rings and bearings? A speedpro 204-214? Does anyone make a complete cam kit (w/chain, lifters, etc) that I should look into?

If you guys were doing a freshening on an engine, is there anything else you'd do? Billet caps or girdle? Should I worry about any of it?

Just noticed feceral-mogul offers speedpro and sealed powercomplete engine freshening kits, anyone know if they have them for our engines and are they recommended?

Maybe this will help?

Double rollers are good for chevys , but buicks do better wilth single chains. My understanding is that double rollers have a tendancy to chew up the front cover. I have heard that Dynagear makes a good single chain.
Lt1(early 70's ) valve springs make good replacement valve springs (about 105 Lb.s). I understand that if you go with an overly stiff spring it could wipe your cam out prematurely.
One of the cam gurus will need to chime in on a selection of a cam.
Hope this helps?