Engine Builders

chrisgarrett

Registered Member
Does anyone know of any really good engine builders in the Chicagoland area? I'm looking to have a 10 second engine built. Thanks

Well, I have been looking for one for a long time. I think General engine in Skokie closed down . (Frank knew his Buick stuff). Fast times in Lincolnwood did build few good Buick motors as well but I don't know their status. I also think time and cost is a factor with them. You know ANS is gone.

That being said, you have two options around the Chicago area with is some what familiarity with our Buick stuff. If you looking to build production style nothing radical, I will go with Windy city call and speak with Darrel (773)254-8113. They are very reasonable and quick turn around or If you want to build a fast Buick motor, I would contact Brian at speed services (773) 545-1616. I think he is only one left with experience building heavily modded Buick motors. He has done stage motors to beefed up 109 blocks. He not too familiar with the girdle setup then again if you are going with a steel crank, the two middle billet cap is more that sufficient I think. If you call these guys, just let them know that I passed the information on to you. In your case Speed svc is a better choice. We have to keep these shops alive, they are dropping like flies.

HTH

Prasad

I'd make the trip south and go to DLS.

Ditto. That or Weber racing or Lonnie Diers. Both in Ohio. I think those are the closest and great Buick guys. I heard DLS is backed up about 6 months. But he can sell you a drop in crank, rod, pistons as well.

Good Luck.

Does anyone know of any really good engine builders in the Chicagoland area? I'm looking to have a 10 second engine built. Thanks

Not trying to sling any crap but why not? your sig. seems like you should be running a low 11 high 10 now. I have a (Anderson) 109 w/ billet caps good heads, roller cam and a trashed Pt70gtq and ran a 9.90 first time out. Just curious....

Not trying to sling any crap but why not? your sig. seems like you should be running a low 11 high 10 now. I have a (Anderson) 109 w/ billet caps good heads, roller cam and a trashed Pt70gtq and ran a 9.90 first time out. Just curious....

My engine is a Grooms crap engine. I've had trouble with it since I dropped it in. I fed up and want to replace it.

I would give Pfeiffer's Engine Specialties a call . Its located in Freeport, Illinois. Ask for Steve. He's build a couple of my engines for my buick and really satisfied with his work. He is familiar with the 3.8 turbo buick. He's competitively priced. I want another engine built this winter and I discussed it with him about putting in a engine girdle, full roller cam setup, etc. Last time I was down there he had 4 3.8 blocks sitting there ready to get machined and put together.

The current engine he built for me was basicly a stock rebuild with the billet main center caps, forged pistons, and a mild 210-205 cam and Ive run the best of low 11's.

Give him a call. 815-233-2267 Not exactly in the chicagoland area but not too far away.

I would give Pfeiffer's Engine Specialties a call . Its located in Freeport, Illinois. Ask for Steve. He's build a couple of my engines for my buick and really satisfied with his work. He is familiar with the 3.8 turbo buick. He's competitively priced. I want another engine built this winter and I discussed it with him about putting in a engine girdle, full roller cam setup, etc. Last time I was down there he had 4 3.8 blocks sitting there ready to get machined and put together.

The current engine he built for me was basicly a stock rebuild with the billet main center caps, forged pistons, and a mild 210-205 cam and Ive run the best of low 11's.

Give him a call. 815-233-2267 Not exactly in the chicagoland area but not too far away.

I'll give him a call. Thanks.

Give DLS a call too. Lonnie Diers built my brothers motor and so far its done very well (TSM motor). Lonnie is a good 2 hours away from where my brother is located. Point being, don't let a 2 hour drive keep you from getting a well known buick builder to do your engine.

Give DLS a call too. Lonnie Diers built my brothers motor and so far its done very well (TSM motor). Lonnie is a good 2 hours away from where my brother is located. Point being, don't let a 2 hour drive keep you from getting a well known buick builder to do your engine.

I'm confused. Is DLS Lonnie Diers or Dan Strezo?

I have to have a new engine. I'm so sick of this damn Grooms engine. Do you know what it's like to chase knock for two years? I mean it's apparently false knock, but how can I tune the car?
i feel for ya bro.. keep me updated

DLS is Dan, I would say he is one of the top engine buliders in the nation. He has done many 7,8 and 9 sec Buick motors. He is the man!!!. He is in Indiana
His # is 219-956-3653.

HTH
Prasad

Didn't mean to confuse you. I just meant that my brother could have had someone local do the engine, but it was well worth the hassle of going 2 hours away to get a well known builder (lonnie) to build it. DLS is probably an hour or so from you and it could be well worth it to deal with him.

Lonnie can't be 2 hours away from us in IL, though from what I have seen he knows what he is doing.

DLS is Strezo and HAS to be the most reputable buick guy in the Midwest since Pete at ANS left the scene.

If Dan is backed up 6 months that says volumes, but if some other shop has 4 GN motors waiting to go, they must know what they are doing and are highly recommended in our community.