Engine and Transmission VIN Stamping?

t-topflyer

Did all Turbo Buicks have the VIN stamping on the engine and transmission? I have found a really low mileage all original Turbo Buick that is essentially a one owner car. The car looks how it should for the number of miles on it. The car is in really nice shape and doesn't appear to have ever had anything done to it and the owner says it hasn't as well. Everything checks out on it and looks correct, but both the transmission and engine are completely blank where the VIN numbers are usually stamped. The texture is uniform but no stampings and it doesn't appear to have ever had any stamping of any kind or any alterations such as grind marks. Has anyone else ever run across this? I have looked at and owned several Turbo cars and this is the first time I've ever run across this.

I believe the VIN for the tranny is on the BRF tag. The Engine VIN is on the drivers side vertical pad where it meets the tranny.
I have not seen one not be there. Is there paint on the engine pad that is covering it?

Bryan

A car fax will tell you more. I was just recently looking at the numbers on my transmission, the numbers are lightly stamped but they are there. If your not seeing any thing at all i would be weiry.

It could be a nice car put together with stolen parts. That might explain the lack of vin #'s on the motor and trans

I believe the VIN for the tranny is on the BRF tag. The Engine VIN is on the drivers side vertical pad where it meets the tranny.I have not seen one not be there. Is there paint on the engine pad that is covering it?Bryan

Correct on the engine VIN.

On all the Turbo cars I've looked at and owned, the trans VIN has always been stamped into the transmission case right above the pan also on the drivers side closer to the back of the car.

There is no paint on either part in the VIN stamp areas and it's really clean and appears to have been stored properly and never driven in moisture so there is really no rust or paint covering up these areas.

Did all Turbo Buicks have the VIN stamping on the engine and transmission? I have found a really low mileage all original Turbo Buick that is essentially a one owner car. The car looks how it should for the number of miles on it. The car is in really nice shape and doesn't appear to have ever had anything done to it and the owner says it hasn't as well. Everything checks out on it and looks correct, but both the transmission and engine are completely blank where the VIN numbers are usually stamped. The texture is uniform but no stampings and it doesn't appear to have ever had any stamping of any kind or any alterations such as grind marks. Has anyone else ever run across this? I have looked at and owned several Turbo cars and this is the first time I've ever run across this.

Yes, they ALL got stamped. Unless the block and tranny case were replaced at some point.

You're sure you're looking in the right places, correct?

Look for an SG1 cast on the side of the block that is a replacement block. Them blowing up under warranty was quite common back in the day ya know....:D

Yes, they ALL got stamped. Unless the block and tranny case were replaced at some point.

You're sure you're looking in the right places, correct?

> or = 100% positive. I've checked the same locations on every Turbo Buick I've owned or looked at to buy and there have been quite a few. Probably close to 50 or more. The numbers are always in the same place. Vertical solid block on the driver's side of the engine next to where it mounts to transmission and the driver's side of the transmission close to the back of the car on the solid block above the pan.

It's entirely possible to have an engine/trans not stamped. An hourly UAW worker was supposed to stamp it but was probably scratching his ass when that one came by. I used to rebuild a lot of early 4 speeds and a couple % slipped through without being stamped. I know of 2 Muncie 4 speed cases from 1969 that were not stamped and one sold for $800 and the other $900. I've also seen guys attempt to stamp cases that weren't and screwed them up. They bad the correct font and the holder. You need a really heavy dead blow hammer and you need a single hard strike. If it's a 109 casting and unstamped it's not a big deal if you have other documentation. If it's not stamped leave it that way.

Maybe it's possible that a rare piece may have slipped through on occasion, but tranny's and blocks are stamped on seperate lines before being mated. Both missing a stamp???? Figure the odds. And QC would most likely have caught it during final checks.

I agree with Dave that the likely hood of both VIN stamps being missing is slim. If the car is low mileage and you're planning on keeping it stock for possible future appreciation and collectability I'd pass. There are plenty of others out there.

Neal

I thought it would be helpful to add some pictures in this thread that I have on file of the VIN locations and where they should be on the transmission and engine of a Turbo Buick.

Transmission

transvinlocation-2.jpg

Engine

block_id.jpg

Although the quality of these is not that great (cell phone pictures) here are pictures of the blank areas in the subject car. In reviewing the transmission VIN location it looks like there may be grind marks where the VIN was. The engine doesn't appear to have any grind marks but both are VIN-less

Transmission No Vin Stamp

blanktransmission.jpg

Engine No Vin Stamp

blankengineblock.jpg

I agree with Dave that the likely hood of both VIN stamps being missing is slim. If the car is low mileage and you're planning on keeping it stock for possible future appreciation and collectability I'd pass. There are plenty of others out there.

Neal

I agree and will be passing. I'm glad I always check the numbers and I hope no one gets taken advantage of on this car. Hopefully the pictures I posted for reference will help prevent that.

Look for an SG1 cast on the side of the block that is a replacement block. Them blowing up under warranty was quite common back in the day ya know....:D

Where and which side is the SG1 cast into a replacement block? Does anyone have any pictures that could be posted of an SG1 coded block that might show more detail?

I just bought a 87 GN for parts(rotten).Well I noticed a tattle tale tag on a frost plug:mad:,which made me think it was rebuilt.Well I went to the shop today to check the engine stamp and their is none.The pad is not even machined but more of a as cast look to it:eek:.No numbers at all.The tranny had a tag on the converter (rebuilt by GM) Any body have any ideas on this one??Thanks

Kevin

Keep in mind turbo Buick's with non-matching vin numbers means 0 as far as value on these cars. It's not like you could order a big block or any other engine/trans combo for that matter. On vehicles that all came with only one type engine and trans it means 0 in value. I've seen sub 10K GNX's with non matching engine and trans vins. Like most stated already it was very common to blow these engines up in the first year or two when they were new. Like Steve stated most blocks will be stamped with SG1 and that was the replacement block and would not have a vin stamped on it. I believe if the dealer did the install they would re-stamp the block with the cars vin but don't quote me on that. As long as the engine and trans was not from a stolen car, I could care less what vin numbers are stamped on one of these cars.

I worked on an 87 gn that a friend of mine had and the engine vin was off by 3 digits, the trans was ok and the engine appeared to have never been out of the car. Most removal and re-installs dont get everything back exactly right leaving tell tale signs of tampering. The tv cable clip on the back of the motor
and the plastic lock on the oil pressure sending unit are two of the more common ones. Like Bison said assembly line workers do what they do and in my case I can totally see an engine getting picked or pulled slightly wrong ... ive learned to never say never