Engine Accessory Bolts

Dean

If starting with NOTHING bolt wise, what do you use? Grade 8/10.9 with washers and thread lock?

I have been hunting for new flange bolts to put on the "externals" of my new engine with little luck. I like the design intent of a flange bolt, eliminating the need for a flat washer that has a tendency to allow bolts to vibrate loose, but finding specialty bolts is impossible - ones that have a stud for mounting additional components to. Things like the EGR solenoid, WG solenoid, ALT/PS brackets at the headers, etc. In those cases, the only thing I can figure to do is install studs that are cut to the required length, nut it, drill out the accessory bracket hole to fit the stud, then set and nut the accessory in place, thread locking all engagement threads. In most of these cases I can't use the stock bolts because I have taller valve covers and TA headers, so stock fasteners are not long enough.

What to do...

Maybe, but there are others beyond the headers bolts. I'm still curious what folks do who are building from scratch!

get a kit from Alloybolts or totally stainless or ARP .... it really depends on how deep your pockets are....

if you know what size you need you can order from any of these vendors.

What did you guys do about all the specialty bolts, the ones with studs protruding to mount the alternator brackets that go to the DS header, and such?

We went Stainless Allen head on my rebuild. Where studs were used they used stainless studs.

I went all stainless as well..There isnt a kit that has everyone thats correct. Alloyboltz is close but not quite, you are gong to have to make some trips to hardware stores, fastenal, etc

Same here.... No complete kit available. Just a lot of measuring, a lot of calls to vendors, a lot of research.... just takes time and $$$.

aaron

.... just takes time and $$$.
So I'm finding. :)

I won't be doing a compete kit as the long bock is already assembled (lower intake to pan to WP), and SS kits were already used. The pan is on with grade 8s. The T/A header came with new bolts, too, so I don't want to repurchase all those.

I talked to T/A today and I'm getting studs from them for the ALT & A/C brackets. For the EGR Solenoid, WG Solenoid and DS wiring loom... I dunno. More studs, I guess.

So I'm finding. :)

I won't be doing a compete kit as the long bock is already assembled (lower intake to pan to WP), and SS kits were already used. The pan is on with grade 8s. The T/A header came with new bolts, too, so I don't want to repurchase all those.

I talked to T/A today and I'm getting studs from them for the ALT & A/C brackets. For the EGR Solenoid, WG Solenoid and DS wiring loom... I dunno. More studs, I guess.
haha....you will find out shortly that stainless studs are the most expensive of them all... :) [at least ARPs are]