Encounterd a Nissan 180SX

nullrout

I was out for a quick cruise on Sunday...the T-Type had sat for 4 weeks without starting so I thought it would be a good idea. It was pretty crap weather in Tampa but I found a short lull in the rain and went for it.

I was leisurely cruising when I saw a front mount inter cooler sticking out from under where the bumper cover should have been (the bumper wasn't present) in my rear view mirror and thought, "this might be interesting". Just then the light in front of us went red. I was watching him in my peripheral vision and noticed it was right-hand drive Nissan...then I thought this might be very interesting. Actually I thought he might hand my ass to me...I'm still at 18 pounds of boost with the alchy turned off waiting for the outside temps to drop a few degrees before I start tuning and turning the boost up.

I think he was checking out the 3.8 Turbo SFI badges on the hood when the light when green. I slowly accelerated through the light just wanting to see what he'd do. As soon as he cleared the intersection I heard him crack the throttle and not wanting to get caught with my pants down I did the same. I put about 2-3 car lengths on him and there he stayed until I let out of it at about 55-60 ish. The light in front of us went red so pulled up the line again. He have me a big grin and yelled "that thing is bad-a55". We talked for a few seconds during the red light. He said he was running a 2.2L with a stock turbo. I'm thinking he was sandbagging me a bit because while I put a few car lengths on him I didn't absolutely annihilate him like I do most imports.

Seeing his car makes me think that maybe our parts don't cost so much...he said most of parts had to be purchased from Japan he had to pay to have them imported.

Nice kill man. Yeah, there are some quick imports around the bay. I don't know if they're still running by the airport. Haven't seen any lately near Gandy or 4th. It's always nice to kill a "target of opportunity" :D.

I've never cruised the major "race" areas like 4th, Gandy or the Courney Campbell...I worry about the mass stupidity and ending up with ticket for just being "around". This was on N. Florida Ave between Fletcher and Bearss headed North.