Electromotive TEC unit discussion

I agree the TEC isn't the most drag race friendly ECM out there but it does have some neat features that the others don't. It would be nice to have everything available in one package instead of add-on boxes. My engine "consultant" really believes in the ignition accuracy of the TEC unit being a plus as far as bearing life is concerned.

The way I look at it is this - I'll give it a try and if I absolutely hate it I'll yank it and put a FAST system in it. I don't think I'll ever go to Donnie's extreme but it is a little exciting to go against the grain sometimes. Maybe me and Donnie can actually learn some stuff from each other on the TEC unit - who would've thunk? My new car definitely ain't going to be a cookie cutter so why should the ECM? :biggrin:
Well, I wouldn't go with the TEC unit just to be different. That's not why I went with it. Use the system that you trust most to get the job, as you define it, done.
The way I see it, an ECM is supposed to do two main things very well. If it does other functions, then that's just frosting on the cake.
First, it must accurately supply fuel. That's not really a difficult job. You simply need to pulse injectors at the correct time for the correct length of time.
Second, it has to supply an ignition system. In my mind, it should supply an ignition system that doesn't need other boxes to enhance the accuracy or the power of the ignition system. This is where the Electromotive ignition systems shine above all others. This is the main reason I find it hard to even think of giving this system up. As far as ignition systems go, there simply isn't anything better on the market.

Agreed. I'm really just kidding about using it to be different. The ignition is what got me interested in the first place. I agree 100% that it's the most accurate thing on the market. Just ask Mercury Marine - they tried to steal the rights to the ignition technology and wound up losing close to 7 mil on that deal. :eek:

Interesting fact you may or may not know. The owner of Electromotive (I think his name is Alex Long) actually held (or still does) the patent for direct fire ignition. You're 100% correct in the accuracy of the unit. I remember back in the 80s, Ford was trying to give Electromotive one of their plants in a patent settlement case

The TEC unit is pretty impressive and probably more advanced than most other units on the market. Cal is right tho, its not a racing unit and the guy who owns Electromotive doesnt give a crap about racing.
I beg to differ. Electromotive is big in the road course racing crowd.

Thats making some power Wil. The Ignition is what sold me on the Electromotive. I have tuned many of the GTs. with 4-6 and 8 cylinder. Use with PCS datalogger and you in. The boost control works good to.

Thats making some power Wil. The Ignition is what sold me on the Electromotive. I have tuned many of the GTs. with 4-6 and 8 cylinder. Use with PCS datalogger and you in. The boost control works good to.

Hey Lonnie - That conversation you and I had several months back was part of what convinced me to give it a shot. It's a nice unit and I can't emphasize enough how good the ignition side of it is. Having the resolution and firepower on tap along with built in 2/3 step all in one unit helps offset not having some of the other bells and whistles of the other units. Tuning the staged injection is a little different and takes some getting used to. The software is the only downside to the thing - nowhere near as good as the BS3 or FAST.

I plan to use that Outlaw Turboglide you built for my green car behind the new engine. Guess we'll see just how bulletproof your junk is!:biggrin:

I, for one, get brain overload from all the bells and whistles of some of the newer ecm systems. I'm used to running the Classic Fast and the TEC3r really intrigues me.

I like the idea of having the staged injectors and the reliable ignition/fuel system of the TEC3r.

This is the main reason I am considering going to this unit on my new build.

I've been wrong before, but from what I've read and heard, the TEC3r fits my needs.

Brad

Unless things have changed at Electromotive, they arent a real performance oriented company. If you feel like you can tackle the TEC by yourself (And if it isnt any better than it used to be, I doubt it) then I would look at something a little more mainstream.

Though Electromotive has not kept up with others with adding all the latest software trickery to their systems, even after all these years their ignition system is still unbeatable for accuracy and power.

It maybe nice and everything, but I don;t like the "feel" of the software. BTW the new Holley systems will be also compatible with the davis TC systems.

It maybe nice and everything, but I don;t like the "feel" of the software. BTW the new Holley systems will be also compatible with the davis TC systems.
Personally, I'll take ignition accuracy and power over software feel any day.
After the tuning and playing around with the software is finished, and you're driving your car around without the computer tethered to the car, what you want to 'feel' as you're listening to the bitchin' song of your engine, is that the ignition is being provided with the utmost accuracy and power available. The software is no longer in the picture. Your engine will appreciate the ignition power and accuracy much more than it will appreciate the software interface 'feel'.

I like to think I'm reasonably proficient with the FAST stuff - XFI in particular - and definitely more comfortable with that system as it's the one I'm the most familiar with in the field. I wasn't too keen on the idea of the Electro at first but when you really study the intricacies you realize it's a pretty trick system. The reason the other names are more mainstream is the fact that they market them heavily and in many cases promote their systems by "giving" free systems to big name racers to get them out in the field and the notoriety that comes with a particular system being on a fast car. Electromotive is a small privately held company that for whatever reason doesn't play the marketing game which is a shame because I thing they have a great product that could be the best out there with some revisions to make it more user friendly to the masses.

The software may be clunky to use compared to the others but at the end of the day the ignition accuracy is the key. Fuel management is virtually the same on all the systems whether it's FAST, BS3, etc, etc but where the Electro shines is the ignition. Most folks don't realize the importance an accurate ignition can have on the longevity of an engine. Just because you aren't detonating the crap out of an engine to the point your ears can hear it doesn't mean there aren't subtle misfires and the bad harmonics associated down there hammering the bearings, crank and rods.

Personally, I'll take ignition accuracy and power over software feel any day.
After the tuning and playing around with the software is finished, and you're driving your car around without the computer tethered to the car, what you want to 'feel' as you're listening to the bitchin' song of your engine, is that the ignition is being provided with the utmost accuracy and power available. The software is no longer in the picture. Your engine will appreciate the ignition power and accuracy much more than it will appreciate the software interface 'feel'.

Donnie, I think the Fast is good enough accuracy for the RPM range I;m turning, and the msd7 box will supply enough power to go through a set a plugs in a few hundred miles and the JS box will eliminate any knock, before I hear it......:) I ' think Im covered for now.. Or I could get a HOlley system and run a 60-1 trigger wheel in the future. The TEC does not have individual cyl knock retard as far as I can tell...

Donnie, I think the Fast is good enough accuracy for the RPM range I;m turning, and the msd7 box will supply enough power to go through a set a plugs in a few hundred miles and the JS box will eliminate any knock, before I hear it......:) I ' think Im covered for now.. Or I could get a HOlley system and run a 60-1 trigger wheel in the future. The TEC does not have individual cyl knock retard as far as I can tell...
Just curious, Norbs. How much did those extra boxes cost you? Is the MSD box dependable? I've seen how some other MSD boxes can be undependable. Is individual cylinder knock retard really that necessary? Shouldn't a good tune guard against ANY knock?

In my experience, the old school MSD 7 series stuff is virtually bullet proof.

I don't see where having individual cyl knock retard would be needed - if you need that you have bigger issues. The individual cyl fuel correction is rarely needed if the intake design provides equal airflow to all runners and you would have to have the ability to monitor EGTs and/or AFRs on each cylinder to know. I have never used this feature myself. While those sort of bells and whistles are neat, I don't see the value in them if everything is set up properly. The Electro doesn't have the bells and whistle features of the other stuff but it gets the job done and has been out there for many years now. How long have you been running it Donnie?

I ran the TEC2 unit from 2001 to 2005 with the first and second engine (v1.0 and v2.0), then started with the TEC3r in 2007 with engine v3.0. The TEC3r, as it sits now, has been upgraded to the latest available design level, and is using the WinTEC4 interface software.