EGR replacement questions

t-typinator

my check engine light came on so i did the paperclip in the aldl thing + got the 32 code for egr malfunction.
My first instinct would be to just go get a new egr valve, but figured i would ask here first,what the next plan of action should be,is there things i should check, or do first to make sure a new egr is the answer to the problem.
If the answer is get a new egr,is there any thing i should know ahead of time about the process of changing it,things to watch out for, or do/not do etc.

My opinion- first, if you have an after market chip, you might not need the EGR. Check with the chip programmer. I have had vacuum leaks at the EGR, even a new one leaked. If you plan on going with a new chip, and you won't need an EGR valve, now is a good time to get a block off plate to cover the hole. The plate is cheaper than the valve, and if you put silicone on it correctly, it won't leak. Most Buick parts suppliers carry them, such as Full Throttle, GBody Parts, Hartline, etc.

My opinion- first, if you have an after market chip, you might not need the EGR. Check with the chip programmer. I have had vacuum leaks at the EGR, even a new one leaked. If you plan on going with a new chip, and you won't need an EGR valve, now is a good time to get a block off plate to cover the hole. The plate is cheaper than the valve, and if you put silicone on it correctly, it won't leak. Most Buick parts suppliers carry them, such as Full Throttle, GBody Parts, Hartline, etc.

It's a very low mile car (23k mi)basically bone stock with duals being the only mod,and no mods planned for the near future,so i think i'm going to leave the egr on for now,+ i'm pretty sure i have the stock chip in it too,i was meaning to check on that later.
Thanks for the reply.
Ps any tricks of the trade for installing the new egr so i don't end up with vac leaks,+ what is the best way to check for vac leaks?

It's a very low mile car (23k mi)basically bone stock with duals being the only mod,and no mods planned for the near future,so i think i'm going to leave the egr on for now,+ i'm pretty sure i have the stock chip in it too,i was meaning to check on that later.
Thanks for the reply.
Ps any tricks of the trade for installing the new egr so i don't end up with vac leaks,+ what is the best way to check for vac leaks?

I don't really have any tricks, as it is pretty straight forward. I think the screw was hard to get at, but that comes with practice. I have a smoke machine that I bought off Craigs List, to check for vacuum leaks. I also have a low mile GN with 26k miles. I found a leak at the back of the intake. Your scan tool will indicate a leak if blm is higher than 128 + 10 .

Thanks, no scan tool either :redface:
seems to me i had seen a thing before where someone used a cigar for the smoke thing,thanks for the reminder.

i had the same problem on my 86 gn that had 23k on it i bought a used egr set up sol and all and got a different problem so i just oredered a turbo tweak chip for a stock car took care of egr prob and the car runs better than it did when new,jeff