Effect of tightening direct drum clearance

MSDGN

I just finished putting the trans (200-4R) in the car after taking it apart to replace the forward drum (shaft broke). When I checked the direct drum friction/steel clearance it was .096. I put thicker steels in and got the clearance to .060. When I get the car going is this difference in clearance anything I'll be able to notice as far as the trans? Such as firmer shifts, quicker shifts, things like that. I'm thinking I probably won't notice anything different but thought I'd ask. What is the benefit of tightening up the clearance because it seemed fine before I broke the shaft.

The .096 clearance you measured after the trans had been run was probably .060-.065 when it was first built. You can run it setup tighter than .060 with no ill effects. Don't sweat it. I'd never set one up looser than .060 even for my grandmas car

@ .096", the clutch pack will not last too long. A flair will develop soon after. Also part of the reason for the broken shaft.

The .096 clearance you measured after the trans had been run was probably .060-.065 when it was first built. You can run it setup tighter than .060 with no ill effects. Don't sweat it. I'd never set one up looser than .060 even for my grandmas car
.060" is the number to shoot for. If left tighter the spin loss percentage will go up dramatically when the clutch pack is open. With engines that spin above 6500 I set them @ .080".