ECM-IGN Fuse Blowing under WOT

87GNT

Hello folks-
Just recently (5 days ago) my GN left me stranded on the side of the road as i was make a few boost hits. I had it towed home and when I got there I immediately noticed my fuel pump was not turning on so I read a few posts on this site which lead me to find that my ECM-IGN 10AMP fuse had blown. I went ahead and replaced it and took the car out for a normal drive (no boost) and no issues.

However, anytime i try WOT it immediately shuts down on me and it ends up being the same fuse that gets blown.

I noticed the shop that performed my VDO oil sending unit install took the factory oil sending harness with plug and simply wrapped it up in wiring tape and its hanging down right by the aftermarket VDO sending unit.

I have read several posts that I should either snip all 3 wires or? Again this just started happening so I might be completely off on my assumption which is why I am posting this thread.

Any help on figuring this out is greatly appreciated.

If I remember correctly the factory oil sender also has fuel pump wiring in it. It operates after the oil pressure is at minimum psi. If you remove it you operate on the start circuit only. I left mine in and installed a t fitting to run a n oil gauge. Don't clip the wires until you have the information to fix your problem.

As long as the harness is taped up properly and not arching on anything you should be fine. I pulled my back, taped it up and zip tied it to the harness behind the alternator. I'm not a fan at cutting anything in the harness. Something seems to be grounding out once your under load. Check your wiring at the sending unit and also make sure that your hotwire kit isn't exposed somewhere arching on any metal.

As long as the harness is taped up properly and not arching on anything you should be fine. I pulled my back, taped it up and zip tied it to the harness behind the alternator. I'm not a fan at cutting anything in the harness. Something seems to be grounding out once your under load. Check your wiring at the sending unit and also make sure that your hotwire kit isn't exposed somewhere arching on any metal.

I will trace out the hotwire harness from the tank and check for that...thanks

Update: So I started unraveling the main wiring harness where is sits behind and alternator and started tracing all the wires. Come to find out when the aftermarket water temp sending unit was installed they left the old 12volt green wire hanging too close to the oil pressure sending unit wire. So whenever I had the car under boost the wire was somehow grounding itself and blowing the fuse. It was literally buried under the rest of the wires. As a test I simply pulled the old water temp cable back and tied it off. Went out and made 4-5 hits without any issues.

Thanks for all the valuable input gents

Update: So I started unraveling the main wiring harness where is sits behind and alternator and started tracing all the wires. Come to find out when the aftermarket water temp sending unit was installed they left the old 12volt green wire hanging too close to the oil pressure sending unit wire. So whenever I had the car under boost the wire was somehow grounding itself and blowing the fuse. It was literally buried under the rest of the wires. As a test I simply pulled the old water temp cable back and tied it off. Went out and made 4-5 hits without any issues.

Thanks for all the valuable input gents
They need a good kicking in the A$$. Glad you found the evil gremlin

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk