EBL SFI-6 install & tuning thread

Work with this value until the boost goes to as close as possible the desired level:

WG - Base Solenoid DC% for desired boost

You can also increase the boost percent to exit fast-spool mode:

WG - % of Boost to Exit Fast Spool

I'm at 80% on the fast spool exit. Once the boost is close can then work with the PID gains for decent response and accuracy of boost.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Work with this value until the boost goes to as close as possible the desired level:

WG - Base Solenoid DC% for desired boost

You can also increase the boost percent to exit fast-spool mode:

WG - % of Boost to Exit Fast Spool

I'm at 80% on the fast spool exit. Once the boost is close can then work with the PID gains for decent response and accuracy of boost.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Raise or lower the Base DC? Im thinking raise it.

Will also raise the fast spool DC to 80%, its at 75% now. Will be a few days, have to replace the trans and fuel pump over the weekend. Old trans is out as of 30 min ago.

Yes, raise the base DC%. The higher it is the more air gets bled off for higher boost.

RemoveBeforeFlight

All buttoned up and going to start some tuning. Is there any way to add history tables? I'd like to use them to tweak certain areas of the VE tables.

If I understand what a history table is, the VE Learn built into the WUD does that. If you want to manually tweak can use the correction data and toss the created BIN.

There is also a history table in the WUD for spark knock.

RemoveBeforeFlight

The VE table in the WUD displays original calculated VE, Corrected VE, and % corrections, am I understanding that right? I was looking to use a history table very similar but that can display WBO2 readings, BLM readings, and possibly go past 100kpa? Spark history table is perfect, BTW.

For closed loop ops, anytime the throttle is closed, closed loop is turned off. Disabled DFCO and still no CL, if I nudge the throttle to somewhere around 3%, CL is on. Speed limit through most of base is 15mph, and its almost 2 miles of idling to get to a normal road. Runs really lean the whole time causing some surging, so is there something Im missing to keep CL enabled while off the throttle?

Also gave it a WOT blast, boost still not climbing past 11psi, need to tighten the WG actuator arm some, since I may have set it a little loose. Didn't want to get crazy with boost right away.

You may have to look at the scalars for the closed loop parameters, CTS Threshold for example may be too high....

That bit is not set.

Word 1, Bit 1 is set, though. I'm going to try unselecting that bit tomorrow.

Thanks

That is the flag that is forcing open loop on decel:

Option Word 1 - Bit 1 - OpDcl

The reason for open loop during decel is to avoid surging conditions. The air/fuel mix is at a very low density which is hard to light off. Then throw in some closed loop proportional gains and the INT/BLM corrections and the engine can easily become a surging mess.

You can go to closed loop on decel and see how it is. Can also add a little to the VE table in that area to prevent it from being too lean, and staying with open loop.

Vehicle moving with a closed throttle is decel mode. Vehicle stopped with a closed throttle is idle mode. Neither of those and we are in cruise mode.

RemoveBeforeFlight

The VE table in the WUD displays original calculated VE, Corrected VE, and % corrections, am I understanding that right?

Yes, that is correct.

I was looking to use a history table very similar but that can display WBO2 readings, BLM readings, and possibly go past 100kpa? Spark history table is perfect, BTW.

Having a WB history table for boost would be helpful. We tried it for N/A and for some reason it wasn't that helpful. I can't recall why as it was quite a while ago, need to look at the code again to see why.

Although the VE Learn does just that, builds a history table to base the corrections on. Which, IIRC, isn't the same as what we were trying with the WB data display.

Maybe just add another radio button to show the WB data or the BLM data (whichever is chosen for the learn).

Then add another display tab like the spark knock history table for boost WB data.

RemoveBeforeFlight

That is the flag that is forcing open loop on decel:

Option Word 1 - Bit 1 - OpDcl

The reason for open loop during decel is to avoid surging conditions. The air/fuel mix is at a very low density which is hard to light off. Then throw in some closed loop proportional gains and the INT/BLM corrections and the engine can easily become a surging mess.

You can go to closed loop on decel and see how it is. Can also add a little to the VE table in that area to prevent it from being too lean, and staying with open loop.

Vehicle moving with a closed throttle is decel mode. Vehicle stopped with a closed throttle is idle mode. Neither of those and we are in cruise mode.

RemoveBeforeFlight

With OL enabled during those conditions, the engine currently surges due to the lean conditions. My thought process is to keep CL enabled to help bring the fuel closer to where it should be, and the VE learn will help correct those.

But if I could use a history table with wideband data populated in those cells, I could get a better idea where to adjust the VE table. Coupled with the data tracing feature I could use the datalog frame by frame to really fine tune those areas. I used WB data in S_AUJP tuning my Mustang and it really helped dial in the fuel.

Im attaching the .adx for S_AUJP to help you get a better idea of what im talking about. Not the .adx I was using/modifying but it has exactly what im looking for.

Attachments

• V5 SAUJP_V4_1029 10.zip
    24.2 KB · Views: 73
Took the car out yesterday for a short cruise, and was it ever. First of all, turbo responded well to tightening the WG arm, faster spool up and gets to 15 psi. Im going to have to work with the PIDs since the boost fluctuates rapidly between ~10-15 psi. I believe its also getting false knock, AFRs are at 11:1 and even pulled timing in the 3000-4000 rpm, 160-180 kpa range. 3rd gear pull. Didn't have a chance to start the datalog since the trans decided to puke fluid on the exhaust, probably pissed off the trucker behind me. I need to find a grommet for the TV cable where it joins with the transmission. That is all for now, my leave is over and its back to the grind.

Not much to report. Replaced OEM R44TS plugs with some UR5's, loosened and retorqued knock sensor for sh!ts and giggles. Still seeing knock in the 3400-4000 range, KR pulls timing and still knock, doesnt matter how much timing and boost is pulled. So im confident the knock sensor currently installed is/has been over torqued. I dont hear any rattling from exhaust, no leaks, just the typical sewing machine sound from the lifters when warmed up. Also picks up knock from switching gears, in park, just the noise of the detent sets it off. Spool up feels pretty good and power feels great until KR pulls timing way back and it noses over, once this issue is cleared up I think its going to move out nicely. Ordered a new AC Delco knock sensor this morning, will install it by next weekend, hopefully. No teflon tape, or dope, torque to 14 lb ft.

Im looking for a MAT/IAT temp inverted compensation table, cant seem to locate one in the current .xdf. Reason I ask is fueling is drastically different and starts to remove too much fuel once the IAT temps get over 100*F. Its normal to see IAT temps in the 130 range out here in vegas during normal driving, BLMs climb from 128ish all the way up to 144 once the intake tract becomes heat soaked. Also, any chance of adding 100 to 300kpa history table to the WUD? If not I can build or buy another ALDL cable and use tunerpro to data log/data trace.

There is the IAT/CTS Blend table:

IAT/CTS - Blend Filter

That table is used to blend the amount of CTS into the IAT for use as the inverse temperature term. It is based on airflow.

> any chance of adding 100 to 300kpa history

This is for the reported AFR? For knock retard it s already there.

RemoveBeforeFlight

That table seems to only cover specific airflow increments. Im talking about a global adjustment. The engine runs fine until the IAT temps start rising above 100*F then everything starts to lean out and only gets worse as the heat soaks in.

Yes, Im talking about reported WB AFR, that would be a big plus in the WUD.

Best way to go is to mount the IAT where it won't get heat soaked. Not much can be done in the ECM when a sensor isn't reporting correctly.

History on the WB AFR, IIRC, there should be code already in place. At one time I was playing with various fueling history tables just to see what may be helpful. Need to look to see what is there, may be easy to do.

RemoveBeforeFlight

The IAT is in the up-pipe about 4 inches from the TB. If you remember, I was using 7730/S_AUJP for my mustang and I could adjust the MAT compensation counts table, only issue I had was the .adx wasnt reading the correct temperature. Same with my 7730 swap in the fiero, was able to dial that one in much closer since it was my DD, and fueling variations were very minimal afterwards. Theres nothing I can do about the heat soaking in the vegas heat, IAT temps were even reporting in the130's during normal driving with the '748 setup. Its not bad in the winter months but I want this thing to be able to adjust for different air temps, especially when in boost when the temps are climbing. I was just hoping there was a MAT/IAT compensation counts table not included in the .xdf.