EBL SFI-6 install & tuning thread

The EBL SFI-6 ECM as delivered won't (shouldn't) have the wastegate code in it. It's been a while, but if IIRC, I either emailed the update to you or you had it from a friend you are helping out. The update is a Windows program that updates the firmware in the ECM. Along with a newer ECU/XDF file that has the wastegate parameters.

To see if the EBL SFI-6 ECM has the wastegate code, either run the engine or do a playback in the WUD. At the bottom of the main display the ECM firmware version is shown. V1.0 is the non-WG version, V1.1 has the WG code.

This is an area we are still working on. I've been finding that the stock WG solenoid doesn't have a lot of range. So the size of the orifice in the Y connector is important. Once the exhaust leaks were fixed the engine started to over boost. Increased the orifice to .028" and it wasn't enough, drilled to .038", and it is too much (low boost).

RemoveBeforeFlight

I've ported turbine housing to 1.125" to assist with boost control, would that make a difference?

I replaced the 1 Bar MAP and everything seems to work as it should, also checked the other XDF for WG settings and there are none in that one either. Also added some timing to the Idle spark tables and there is no more start-up droop or droop when CL is enabled. That should be it until my next days off.

I've ported turbine housing to 1.125" to assist with boost control, would that make a difference?

It will make a difference, the back pressure will have an easier time pushing the puck open.

I just emailed the update to go to firmware version 1.1 (has waste gate control).

RemoveBeforeFlight

Got a rough tune in the EBL and took the car to have the VIN inspected. I wish there was a way to enlarge the WUD to at least fill up 75% of the screen for better visibility. Tried the WB VE learn, didn't realize that CL was still enabled:whistle:. I'll need to keep CL enabled to do the first couple of learns since the fueling is off. Also need to figure why idle is creeping up when the engine is warmed up. The E fan also stays on when the key is turned off, must be a bypass somewhere to keep it running. Car feels good though, runs better than the Fiero and Mustang after the '7730 swaps, so I feel like I may be ahead for once. Im going to miss the data tracing feature of TP V5, and the emulation of the Osty 2.0. No biggie, just need to adjust my bad tuning habits:whistle:

VE learns are going good. Got into it a little bit to see where fueling is, didn't have the WB scaled correctly, fixed that. At 9 psi the injector DC is at 81%, 42# injectors so I doubt im running out of injector, going to borrow a friends gauge to mount on the outside to watch for FP drop. Fuel pressure is set at 43 right now. Also have some exhaust rattles that are causing some false knock as well, need to fix those too.

On a side note, why wont the uploader support .csv files? Tried to upload the excel file and wont find it. Oh well, heres the .dat file for now.

Attachments

• pull1.dat
    268.8 KB · Views: 104
For the EBL on my V8 chevy, I had the LC1 from the get go for the VE learns. It didn't take long to get the fueling in. Then again, I drove my car everyday to work.

Trans is about toast, slipping bad in 2nd gear. The fuel pump is weak and needs replaced as well, IDC is above 90% at 9 psi. Im also chasing an issue with the IAC circuit(s), IAC doesnt function properly and is causing cold after start issues and warm idle issues. I can watch the IAC counts change but does not have any effect on idle. Removed the old stepper and replaced with a known functioning IAC and I can hear it working at key on/off. Its acting erractic though, and upon startup it does not work. Going to double check wiring to ECM. Need to figure out a way to test the circuits.

@RmvBfrFlght

IAC doesn't seem to be operating correctly, actually seems to be shut and not move at all. Swapped with a known good IAC and same result.

Tested the leads for the IAC;

Key on there is 12v+ at B&D, Blu/Blk strp and Grn/Blk strp

Now it is my understanding that initial key off should reverse polarity, and apply 12v+ to the opposite ports, A&B, but it doesn't.

When I turn the key off, and until complete ECM shut down, 12v is still applied to B&D.

A&B never have any voltage. Something wrong with this picture?

Thanks!

Need to activate the IAC outputs in order for the voltage to be applied. The IAC has two coils, and as a stepper motor the voltage polarity on each coil reverses to step the motor. Do this for testing:

On the ALDL connector short/jumper pins A & B together. Do a key-on, engine-off. The IAC will now be continuously stepped closed, should be able to hear and feel it clicking.

Unplug the IAC and at the connector measure the voltage from each of the four pins to ground (one at a time to the engine block).

Each should measure about 6 volts, on either the AC or the DC scale. With the AC scale providing a more stable reading. This is the average of +12 volts and ground at a 40Hz rate, and be about 1/2 the actual battery voltage.

Note that once this is done the IAC position and the position the ECM thinks it is in are no longer in sync. To sync them back up, with the A & B ALDL jumper removed, start the engine and run it for about 10 seconds. Use the go-pedal as required to get it and keep the engine running. Now key-off and wait 10 seconds, the actual IAC position and the ECM's IAC position are now back in sync.

RemoveBeforeFlight

OK, so found the Grn/wht wire has a break somewhere. All other leads had ~6v except for that one, ohmed it out and result was infinite resistance.

Great. This should be fun...

I don't believe that wire has a splice in it. So the damage should be accessible, could also be where the wire is crimped to the terminal at either end.

Note that the TPS setting isn't critical on the EBL systems. Anywhere between .3 and .8 volts works. The ECM auto-zero's the TPS via the 'lowest seen' value.

RemoveBeforeFlight

All fixed! Well sorta. Trans is still cooked as well as the fuel pump, but it starts and idles normally, TF works when I blip the throttle. Fried 2 IACs since only one side of the field was working, found another one in a MPFI TB I had stashed away, glad I kept all those parts from the blazer project. LOL.

All fixed!

:cool:

Well sorta. Trans is still cooked as well as the fuel pump, but it starts and idles normally, TF works when I blip the throttle. Fried 2 IACs since only one side of the field was working, found another one in a MPFI TB I had stashed away, glad I kept all those parts from the blazer project. LOL.

Check the IAC coils before chucking them, the driver should not have ruined them due to the open wire. The same main color wire pairs each go to a coil. So the terminals that get the two LT GRN wires should measure about 50 ohms. Same for the terminals that the LT BLU pair go to. Then, there should be infinite resistance between the two coils, no resistance between a LT GRN and LT BLU terminal.

Although, the IACs could be gummed up, they do that after a while.

RemoveBeforeFlight

They ohmed out correctly, but did not function at all when the engine was running. Im thinking something may have been broken when they were installed fully extended.

Took the car out yesterday to test the WG function. It works, set at 15 psi for now and %50 for DC and the Prop. Boost goes to 12 and stops, I noticed the WG DC was at ~54%, do I need to increase the DC to slow the ramp down? Not used to seeing it so simplified like this so im drawing a blank LOL