Early 2000s Mustang...first kill

Heskahoka

Supporting Member
I’ve had my GN back on the road for about two weeks, slowly shaking the bugs out of her. The motor is new with about 250 miles on it, so I was only boosting to 13-14 pounds. Went out for a cruise one evening to log some data from the Powerlogger.

I came up on a red Eclipse with a full set of gauges on the pillar. I took off and gave it some gas, letting off to ‘horse sneeze’ the Eclipse. No response, no interest. Oh well, maybe the GN looked a bit too scary for him.

About a mile later I heard him before I saw him. It was an early 2000s blue Mustang with a very healthy sounding exhaust and Cobra badges weaving through traffic. I caught up to him, maneuvered to the lane right next to him just as the light turned red. We both had our windows down and we chatted a bit. I complimented him on his car, saying it sounded really good. He said it had a transplanted 302 and he was out like me, enjoying the evening. He complimented me on the GN saying he has not seen one in awhile and that they had a reputation. Traffic was clear in front of us, no PD behind us, we agreed to go at the green.

At this point, I was a bit nervous, never having launched the car against competition before. The whole time I was thinking: “What would Meanchicken do? What would Meanchicken do?” At that split second, I decided to brake boost up to about 2 pounds and just see what happens. At the green, the mustang got the jump on me by about ¾ of a car length with his exhaust full bore in my ear. My GN spun the tires some, went sideways a bit then caught. Once it caught, I reeled him in quickly and passed him, putting about two car lengths on him before letting up, the digital dash blinking 85 in my peripheral vision.

He caught up to me at the next light and gave a thumbs up. At the light, he said he thought he had me, then heard the turbo whine coming up from behind. He was very cool and took the defeat well.

First kill. Looking forward to turning up the boost and turning on the Alky.

That's a great story, as well as a great victory. I to hear people being cool even after losing.

That's a great story, as well as a great victory. I to hear people being cool even after losing.

x2. I always take my licks with a smile. They don't happen often anyway, but I go up against EVERYBODY so you gotta lose a few:). Fun no matter what.

"At the light, he said he thought he had me, then heard the turbo whine coming up from behind."

That would be the perfect quote for your signature.

You did well, my good and faithful servant.
You did exactly what meanchicken would do....if his trans wasn't broke....
:D

Sorry I have not been lurking about much lately guys. The GN is down and I've been starting a business in Online Marketing so have not been on the board much....and street killing in a 98 Landcruiser just doesn't have the same attraction as it does in my GN.... :rolleyes:
I was at Spoolfools shop a few days ago and he told me about this thread... got a little misty....:oops:

Keep the killin' going in my place. It might be a few months before I get on the road again.
Here's one of my websites s you know what I'm up to.
http://ocdotcomleanmeanindependentconsultingmachine.com/

Tim, starting a new business is always a huge time and resource effort, I wish you the very best in your new venture and extreme prosperity. Come back soon, we need the mentor and the streets need more black Regals lurking about.

Maybe you should sell WWMCD shirts as part of your new Marketing venture to raise money for the trans?

Red Eclipse Update: I actually saw the car parked at a nearby Autozone. I stopped in to pick something up and talked to the young guy behind the counter who owned the Eclipse. He remembered our (almost) encounter and I asked why he didn't want to play that day. He said his turbo boost was creeping/spiking and in a few weeks he would be ready for a re-match.
Talking further, I told him the story of my car, that my boost was still dialed in low, Alky had yet to be turned on, and that I had a new, larger 4.1 motor up from the normal 3.8. He then said: "Well then, maybe I won't bother."

Will keep the hunt going. WWMCD.

Nice story, I like the gent who lost took his lumps well.

It don't take much to look scary for an Eclipse hahhaah.

Tad
87 GN
Sent from mobile