E98/Methanol tolerant fuel cell

turbobitt

Decided to take on another project. Looking at constructing a stainless steel fuel cell with an Aeromotive cell mounted brushless gear pump, an integrated baffle box to keep the pump submerged in fuel. Basically took some of Aeromotive’s design but tailored it for me and made it more robust for the thin wall section stainless and heavy pump hanging from the top. I also plan on running a special venting system that will keep a small positive pressure in the cell to help control moisture. Will be getting material cut soon.
AG
ee92fe0402e45c5eca7114c4650a93b3.jpg
c2c73c8b9e063ef9fb6c062510010647.jpg
864444529f14c67536af8b3960bfa244.jpg
b83c3e75e306761cbcbfb8e4b93e04cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. Can't wait to see the finished product

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Interesting. I look forward to seeing your progress with this!

What type of sending unit will you be using? Why not go with a sump and run an external unit instead of an in-tank pump?

Since you're going Aeromotive brushless, I assume their new 5.0 pump?

Interesting. I look forward to seeing your progress with this!

What type of sending unit will you be using? Why not go with a sump and run an external unit instead of an in-tank pump?

Since you're going Aeromotive brushless, I assume their new 5.0 pump?
Yes on the pump, and they sell that pump as a direct in-tank mount. It just makes it easier to have the pump integrated in the tank. The sending unit and fill cap are standard items available from summit. The sending unit will be a GM 0-90 ohm 9" long unit.
AG.

Yes on the pump, and they sell that pump as a direct in-tank mount. It just makes it easier to have the pump integrated in the tank. The sending unit and fill cap are standard items available from summit. The sending unit will be a GM 0-90 ohm 9" long unit.
AG.

Yea, as a matter-of-fact I've been looking at that pump ever since my Weldon was stolen and I know Ill need to replace it.

Are you talking about this "Stealth" in tank mounting kit Aeromotive sells? https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/5-0-brushless-gear-pump-module/

They sell those "Universal" Stealth kits that require you to cut a hole in the fuel tank and mount the pump with the pickup/prefilter directly to the tank, and the sending/feed line attaches right to the pump. Then you could use your stock feed line from the stock sending unit, as your new return line...just a thought for something different..

Do you think there is space on a stock tank, or enough height, to install one of those universal kits?

Or is that sorta why you decided to make your own?

What capacity will your tank be? I imagine it will mount using either the stock fuel tank straps, or custom straps that fit into the stock-strap locations?

Would you have any interest in making multiple of these? I have a buddy who wants to get a new tank but those Rick's tanks are so friggin expensive. Would you be open to making 1 or 2 more of these?

This will be a 15 gallon trunk mounted fuel cell to replace the old 15 gallon un-baffled cell I have right now. The mounting will be directly to the floor with 4 mounting tabs on the cell(no straps). I have not had a stock set of fuel lines in my car for 18 years now so the intent is to run all braided -AN line and fittings.
Aeromotive already makes an Aluminum cell with this pump in almost the exact same configuration and a few other smaller versions but being made from aluminum it will probably not play well with M1 Ethanol.
As of now I don't plan on making any more than 1 copy. Reason being is that I don't have a feel yet for the raw material pricing and the fabrication cost to weld it together.
AG.

I stumbled on this thread like 2 weeks ago as I was picking through the fab forum, which I had forgot existed.

Then, I stopped up at my buddy's place yesterday... and he was tig welding something... that... looked... familiar...

I stumbled on this thread like 2 weeks ago as I was picking through the fab forum, which I had forgot existed.

Then, I stopped up at my buddy's place yesterday... and he was tig welding something... that... looked... familiar...
Tell us more !!!

Some updated picture directly from the welder..

955b10de7a576aee362e74c06bae621d.jpg
1f90c9d3f52188a882b69448d54df256.jpg
d5a104687aa3f6334c1d66580fd4a254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tj are you using the stock toy in tank fuel pump or some sort of external? Did he make the top so the toy stuff can fit on there?

Thats the biggest reason why I have yet to get a cell because I really dont want to lose the reliability of the stock pump, its never let me down.

? Stock fuel pump never let you down? You must have a magic one. I can't understand why you would want a stock fuel pump in a fuel cell. Most people are using a fuel cell with a highly modified engine. A stock fuel pump is barely able to supply a stock engine forget a modded engine or running E85 .

? Stock fuel pump never let you down? You must have a magic one. I can't understand why you would want a stock fuel pump in a fuel cell. Most people are using a fuel cell with a highly modified engine. A stock fuel pump is barely able to supply a stock engine forget a modded engine or running E85 .

Sounds like we are getting trolled. Or he's had way too many hits on the ....

Bong.jpg