E85 vs. alky

I've noticed with my car on e85 the first time I start it when cold it seems to crank a little longer, but once it warms up it starts instantly.

I think early chips didn't have enough cold cranking fuel. From my readings E85 doesn't atomize nearly as well as gas when going into cold cylinders, so it pools up a lot more. Therefore you need to spray a solid amount more of E85 for cold starting. I had Bob up the cranking fuel in my chip, and it made a hell of a difference.

I think early chips didn't have enough cold cranking fuel. From my readings E85 doesn't atomize nearly as well as gas when going into cold cylinders, so it pools up a lot more. Therefore you need to spray a solid amount more of E85 for cold starting. I had Bob up the cranking fuel in my chip, and it made a hell of a difference.

Fuel pressure also makes a difference as far as the injector resolution in crank time.. some injectors can be very very touchy when put in a area that they dont respnd well in

Fuel pressure also makes a difference as far as the injector resolution in crank time.. some injectors can be very very touchy when put in a area that they dont respnd well in

Are you suggesting upping or lowering the FP? What area do they not respond well in?

Are you suggesting upping or lowering the FP? What area do they not respond well in?

Depends on the injector ... if you have a very low pulse width .. the injector may not respond well... just like if you apply too much fuel pressure you may put the injector in an area it doesn't want to be at... the only way your really going to know is by flowing the injectors... NOT all injectors are created equal ... and they certainly run different.

anyone can tune for WOT ... not everyone can tune for idle / part throttle / driveability ... I am very big on not running more injector than you really really need ... and I am not one to base
injector size off duty cycle of a log file .

Mine starts MUCH better with e85 than gas. I don't think it goes a whole rev before firing. 43psi, 60s, TT chips. The e85 chip is about 6months newer than the 93 chip.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Mine starts MUCH better with e85 than gas. I don't think it goes a whole rev before firing. 43psi, 60s, TT chips. The e85 chip is about 6months newer than the 93 chip.

my cold weather starting is a disaster and thats putting it nicely.
Today in high 20s i didn't even bother as most likely would have killed the battery
120s with a TT 6.0 chip

Today in high 20s i didn't even bother as most likely would have killed the battery
120s with a TT 6.0 chip
I never realized people were having this much of a problem. The longest mine has taken is like 3-4 seconds with the 120's. Have you tried adjusting your fp up or down 5 psi? I adjusted mine because of an occasional tip in stumble, but never noticed a difference one way or the other

I never realized people were having this much of a problem. The longest mine has taken is like 3-4 seconds with the 120's. Have you tried adjusting your fp up or down 5 psi? I adjusted mine because of an occasional tip in stumble, but never noticed a difference one way or the other

i'll try and video it tomorrow

I noticed right off the bat from switching to E85 that it took my car a little bit more to start. Just like Zylene.

120s with a TT 6.0 chip

If you can give me the chip#, I can look it up to see if the cranking calibration has been updated since then.
Eric

These are my miserable videos
Disclaimer: These are terrible videos.
first one is of me killing the battery trying to start it.
Second one is of it starting after its hot
Me bitching some more

As of right now E85 SUCKS for cold weather starting BTW 50*f and warmer is not considered cold.
If this changes for me ill make sure to post up what causes it to change.

As for the rest of the winter i am going to try and run a 93/Alky chip on these 120s- Can you say more misery?? Hope not.

Post your chip # for Eric. May be a simple program change. Mine hasn't run for 3 weeks and we shouldn't get outta the 40s tomorrow. I'll start mine and post the vid tomorrow.

Post your chip # for Eric. May be a simple program change. Mine hasn't run for 3 weeks and we shouldn't get outta the 40s tomorrow. I'll start mine and post the vid tomorrow.

I was going to do that today but by the time i got home it was frigging COOOOOOLLLLLD so i just ran for the front door:eek:

These are my miserable videos
Disclaimer: These are terrible videos.
first one is of me killing the battery trying to start it.
Second one is of it starting after its hot
Me bitching some more

As of right now E85 SUCKS for cold weather starting BTW 50*f and warmer is not considered cold.

As for the rest of the winter i am going to try and run a 93/Alky chip on these 120s- Can you say more misery?? Hope not.

Never had any issues with cold start on my 87 ecm 83lb injector car or 84 xfi car. Sounds like it needs more cranking fuel.

On another note, your battery sucks, there is no reason it should be dead after cranking it for that long

Agreed -- The car does have a trickle drain from something-- As long as i start it with in two weeks its all good.
The E85 pushes it over the cliff.
I did start to smell the fuel after a while.
The plugs (R43TS) are gaped to 28-30---Round gap tool (Key chain thingy) one side of the plug "thing" is on the 30 and the other 28ish.
Do the injectors keep firing during cranking?
Turbo1dr's dual fuel system would be PERFECT for this situation.start the bitch on 87 let it warm up and switch to E85 and GO.
Never had any issues with cold start on my 87 ecm 83lb injector car or 84 xfi car. Sounds like it needs more cranking fuel.

On another note, your battery sucks, there is no reason it should be dead after cranking it for that long

1. Your fuel could be super-saturated with water.

2. Having the chip with proper start fueling makes a world of difference. I had to get my chip re-burned for this.

1. Your fuel could be super-saturated with water.

2. Having the chip with proper start fueling makes a world of difference. I had to get my chip re-burned for this.

Ok going to stop being lazy and cheap and buy a E85 tester.
I am also going to pull the chip and give Eric the info.

Do the injectors keep firing during cranking?

Yes, as long as it cranks the injectors are firing. There is a clear flood mode that is entered by holding the go-pedal to the floor while cranking. This greatly reduces the injector PW.

Can try other things to help pin-point the issue. Hold the go-pedal down a little while cranking, can also spray a touch of starter fluid or gasoline into the TB prior to cranking.

RemoveBeforeFlight