E85 thoughts for our cars

ShawnR

Fixer of crap..
I am kicking around the idea of trying E85 on my draw thru system. Supposedly, the quadrajet can do it if you bump things up to allow about 30-35% more fuel flow.

I don't really want to do anything that can't be undone, but considering it. Carb was rebuild by Cliff Ruggles and he said that internals can handle E85. He's local too, so I can pick his brain as well.

I don't give a crap about economy, just power & preventing detonation.

Will a stock mechanical pump flow enough fuel? Other than carb stuff, what else do I need to consider?

You need 30% more at cruise. You might need as much as 50% more at WOT.

Pending other responses here, I'd contact Holley's QuickFuel division. They have a lot of draw-through force induction experience.

https://www.holley.com/brands/quick_fuel/

Opening up a factory GM quadrajet rarely works out well unless the person doing it really knows the carb well, and most of those guys are dead.

I ran E85 in my daily driver ('02 Regal GS) and would love to run it in a carb/turbo V6. I think it is one thing running E85 in a Q-jet and even more complicated with an electronic Q-jet. You have to figure out the primaries and the secondaries. The secondaries might might just need super thin rods. I don't know what you would need to do on the primary side.

I'm not sure on the fuel pump. I suspect it might be a problem. My stocker was having issues keep the float bowl on gasoline.

I highly suggest you get a wide band oxygen sensor first. And a Casper's knock gauge.

You might want to start out with E20 or E30. Or inject the E85 with a alcohol injection kit - that would be way easier.
http://www.beforeblack.net/alcohol.htm

Both knock gauge and wide band 02 sensor / gauge are on my short list of stuff to buy. I am still planning on converting to EFI, but it won't happen this year (long story).

I do have an AEM Water/meth kit (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-3300) that I am also planning on putting on this spring. Was planning to run methanol in it, but E85 is a heck of a lot easier to get. No E20 or E30 close by.

I ran one tank of 110 race gas last summer. That actually makes the car pretty fun! Up to around 15lbs of boost and it pulls pretty good. I just want that same thing without having to pay $8 a gallon.

You will likely find with the wideband that the engine running lean at WOT. You'll be able to fatten it up by changing the secondary rods to much thinner ones. The stock rods are very think.

With the knock gauge you find it's pulling timing often. And these early OEM systems, they over-retard and it takes forever for it to come back (I believe I read 20 seconds). I dialed back my boost, richened up the WOT AFR and now I can drive around with zero knock retard. Car feels great. If I can just get bak up to 15-19 psi without knock, I'll be happy. :)

What sort of EFI are you considering? An '87 SFI set up? I'm looking into aftermarket EFIs like the Holley HP or the FAST XFI. They have the requirements I'm looking for with a knock sensor and laptop control tuning.

What sort of EFI are you considering? An '87 SFI set up? I'm looking into aftermarket EFIs like the Holley HP or the FAST XFI. They have the requirements I'm looking for with a knock sensor and laptop control tuning.

I'm still debating between FAST XFI or Megasquirt. Thinking of LS coils and sequential injection. I do want knock control and something that can control the trans as well. I'm a least a year away from that and want to get the carb setup running as good as it can for this summer.

Definitely doing alky injection this summer and maybe E85. Will probably have to go with electric fuel pump, but I'll need one of those eventually anyway.
Wideband and knock gauge are on the short list too.

I'm at least a year away too if I go EFI. I would like to stick with the carb, but I really like the data logging and ease of engine management (Timing, AFR, etc.)

I have a data logging I need to install. It's from https://www.14point7.com/ If it works well, maybe I can stick with the Q-jet.

I am kicking around the idea of trying E85 on my draw thru system. Supposedly, the quadrajet can do it if you bump things up to allow about 30-35% more fuel flow.

I don't really want to do anything that can't be undone, but considering it. Carb was rebuild by Cliff Ruggles and he said that internals can handle E85. He's local too, so I can pick his brain as well.

Will a stock mechanical pump flow enough fuel? Other than carb stuff, what else do I need to consider?

my question is how does it do when left in the carb over time these cars don't get driven everyday.seriously considering got to get new carb before the 4.1 gets put in.