E85 in a stock car

MRP78

I have a stock 87 GN. The only changes from stock are a turbo tweak street chip and a 237 FPR. I have an E85 station near me. Could I get any performance increase if I run any E85 in the car without making any changes from stock or would it be harmful or detrimental? If I can run it, can I run 100% of it or do I need to blend it with 93 octane and if so how much of each?

You can't run straight E85 stock. You need to upgrade your fuel system and have an E85 chip(tune)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

There would be no point in running it as your car is now. The stock injectors will not be big enough and you will need an E85 chip too. If you are planning on keeping it otherwise stock, I would get 60# injectors, E85 chip, new fuel pump and hot wire kit. Then you can turn up the boost and make more power. That's what I have and I'm running 23# boost on 100% E85 with no knock.

You can mix it up to 30% with your 93 octane you'll get a noticeable boost in performance throttle response etc.... I ran my car all summer last year like this......

There would be no point in running it as your car is now. The stock injectors will not be big enough and you will need an E85 chip too. If you are planning on keeping it otherwise stock, I would get 60# injectors, E85 chip, new fuel pump and hot wire kit. Then you can turn up the boost and make more power. That's what I have and I'm running 23# boost on 100% E85 with no knock.

This is the minimum level I would do for a customer's car converting to e-85, anything less could cause an expensive repair, even head gaskets are not cheap.

Some owners do "blending", but I would not endorse this to any of my customers as there are too many variables and unknowns, especially on fuel supply, when dealing with a stock GN.

I will say I am running stock boost levels with my blended mix with the stock(I think) fuel system the difference is really noticeable but I wouldn't dare turn up the boost without upgrades....

I'm running stock boost. I get just a little bit of KR as it is with 93 octane pump gas and TT street chip. I was thinking the increased octane from the E85 may help with this is all. I don't plan to make any changes and don't want to do anything unsafe.

I just bought a GN that was stock & converted it to E85 recently. Shouldn't be a problem as long as get everything u need to run with it.
Gabby

I'm running stock boost. I get just a little bit of KR as it is with 93 octane pump gas and TT street chip. I was thinking the increased octane from the E85 may help with this is all. I don't plan to make any changes and don't want to do anything unsafe.

How much is a little knock? If you're getting significant knock with 93 on stock boost levels then something is wrong, may be leaning out, several things could cause this. Maybe the chip has too much timing in it. Could be false knock. Is that chip burned for your car or did you get it second hand? Do you have a scan tool of any type to get some data, or are you just hearing what you think is knock?

How much is a little knock? If you're getting significant knock with 93 on stock boost levels then something is wrong, may be leaning out, several things could cause this. Maybe the chip has too much timing in it. Could be false knock. Is that chip burned for your car or did you get it second hand? Do you have a scan tool of any type to get some data, or are you just hearing what you think is knock?

Up to 2 degrees KR. Chip is for the car. Timing at 20* and 18*. Scanmaster.

Up to 2 degrees KR. Chip is for the car. Timing at 20* and 18*. Scanmaster.
My stocker had some kr also with 93 and so I logged the run with a PL and found out the timing was a little high at WOT so I just lowered the WOT timing settings some and bingo KR was gone , just cause the says 20* and 18 * it could still be off some , just my experience .

Before I converted to 100% E85, for about a year I ran a 50/50 mix of E85 and 93 octane on a 93 octane TT chip. I increased the WOT fuel by 20%. At part throttle in closed loop the chip will compensate some for the E85. You will see this in the BLM numbers going higher. If you are not going to increase boost and just use the E85 as an octane booster I would think it would work fine.

I should clarify that I did have 42 # injectors when I did the 50/50 mix. So now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I would do it with the stock injectors as they are probably still too small to do that.

I plan to at least get a chip for E-85 for my car. Will have 80# injectos and a red Armstrong 340 pump. Stock car probably open up the exhaust. My car is a hot air!

I have a stock 87 GN. The only changes from stock are a turbo tweak street chip and a 237 FPR. I have an E85 station near me. Could I get any performance increase if I run any E85 in the car without making any changes from stock or would it be harmful or detrimental? If I can run it, can I run 100% of it or do I need to blend it with 93 octane and if so how much of each?

Do a chip reburn ( Eric turns these around quick) either MSD 50's if your gonna leave it stock and run the stock turbo out.. or put a 44 on it run 80's with a DW300 pump and fresh valve springs and have fun running solid 11's ... if the trans is totally stock and that's the way you want to keep it ... stock turbo and MSD50's with a DW300 pump and you will love it on E85

BEst part you can do 80's pump and chip for less than $450 bucks .. best money you can spend !