E85 fuel system

GoldHawg

I just got my brother's 50k mile 87 GN that's been sitting in the proverbial barn for 20 years. The tank is rusty inside, along with the fuel pump. I'm considering going E85 at least eventually but I wouldn't mind just getting it running. I was thinking about just getting a new spectra premium gas tank since they're very cost effective, along with a DW300 fuel pump and just stick with the stock fuel lines for now. I know the steel tanks and lines are not good for E85 over the longer term, but my thought was at the price point ($145 for new tank) what if I have to replace every 5 years or so? Are there injectors that could go either E85 or 93 E10 with a chip change?

Attachments

• IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2921.jpg
    IMG_2921.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 59

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Where did that red wire come from?
Those shitty insulated wire ends, with a crimp thru them, have no place on your new install.

GoldHawg

Where did that red wire come from?
Those shitty insulated wire ends, with a crimp thru them, have no place on your new install.
:) You are right, that has nothing to do with install; it was just an old wire laying on the trailer where I set the fuel pump to take a picture. Never fear, it's not going on any build. But it did perform what I originally used it for!

dynoman

GoldHawg

From the looks of that sending unit , I would replace it along with the pump . That would upgrade the wiring in the tank to the pump plus a upgraded bulkhead connector . Also a hot wire kit is needed .
I like the suggestion, but you linked to the 255 LPH pump; they also have a 340LPH. Given I'd like to run E85 later, would the 255 be enough with stock lines?

GoldHawg

Any concerns with spectre tank? Kirbans has a more expensive version, but its still steel. Not sure what other options I have right now.

spectra tank
dual 340
frozen boost lines
Ebay billet filter
120# injectors
been like this over 4 years no issues
good luck

dynoman

I like the suggestion, but you linked to the 255 LPH pump; they also have a 340LPH. Given I'd like to run E85 later, would the 255 be enough with stock lines?
You can go a long way on stock lines , you just don't want to overwhelm the system with to big of a pump and not be able to keep the fuel pressure down where it needs to be . You will also need a adjustable fuel pressure regulator . Call Mike @ Full Throttle , he can set you up .