What is the best currently available Coil pack and module?

GNVAIR

I am looking to buy a spare coil pack and module to have on hand. My preference is original GM but AC Delco is also fine. I have been looking and seeing differing packages with Made in USA, Made in Mexico and Made in China. I did notice that the potting material on the older modules was like a white/cream color but the pictures I see of the newer ones looks black. Does anyone have an inside scope of what currently works best?

Several years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a few still in the box new original modules, the one made by Magnavox for GM with the tan colored potting material inside. They were not cheap back then but they are near impossible to find in unused condition today. These are all I use and they work very well so I'm not sure which new modules work best these days. But if you're interested in the original GM module PM me.

I am looking to buy a spare coil pack and module to have on hand. My preference is original GM but AC Delco is also fine. I have been looking and seeing differing packages with Made in USA, Made in Mexico and Made in China. I did notice that the potting material on the older modules was like a white/cream color but the pictures I see of the newer ones looks black. Does anyone have an inside scope of what currently works best?
Not worth overthinking it.
Go to autozone and get a coilpack.
I've made a 1000hp on one on alchohol based fuels.

Not worth overthinking it.
Go to autozone and get a coilpack.
I've made a 1000hp on one on alchohol based fuels.
I have used after market modules. The common issue is losing the tachometer signal. That is why I prefer to stick with GM/AC. But thanks for your response.

Might need to look somewhere else.
Are you talking about the stock boost and rpm gauge or aftermarket?
Yes and its not a wiring issue. Its the aftermarket modules that are crap. Same issue has been discussed previously. My whole point of the post is looking for feed back from people on the current OEM offerings.

Yes and its not a wiring issue. Its the aftermarket modules that are crap. Same issue has been discussed previously. My whole point of the post is looking for feed back from people on the current OEM offerings.
I've used them and I see no difference at all.
We have been using different coil packs on modified and stock cars.

I've used them and I see no difference at all.
We have been using different coil packs on modified and stock cars.
Good for you. Thanks for you $02.
Let me ask my original question again and that is if anyone has any current experience with currently available GM/AC coil packs and modules.

From what I can read GNVAIR is talking about "modules", Mr Spool talking about "coils". I believe that is where the confusion lies.

Aftermarket modules are a crapshoot until you find one (or stumble upon one) that works. Been there done that. That's why I stick with what works for me. Coils on the other hand, I have found various ones that work well, like Mr Spool is saying.

On the tach issue, years ago I recall John Spina (Caspers Electronics) writing about how some aftermarket modules can affect the tach signal.

There are no good stock coil packs anywhere. They are all gone.

The way you solve this is buy the Bailey box and the newer D599 coil. Bobs module helps the car start quicker amongst other features and the coil packs are plentiful.

There are no good stock coil packs anywhere. They are all gone.

The way you solve this is buy the Bailey box and the newer D599 coil. Bobs module helps the car start quicker amongst other features and the coil packs are plentiful.

Reggie,
Does the TR6 come with the coil pack? Who has the TR6 set up in stock?

Reggie,
Does the TR6 come with the coil pack? Who has the TR6 set up in stock?
The ignition box and coil pack are sold separately but Bob has everything you need.

Have a look at this site.

A word of advice, get the box, coil pack and wires from him. That way it all fits and you are not wasting time running stuff down. Trust me on this.

Last edited:
Here is the spare A/C Delco module from Rock Auto I bought last year. Black potting Made in USA.
It works, the Wells that was in the car lasted only 3 years and the tach. worked fine.
Tach. works fine on the new Delco units as well.
Tap the holes before installing the "thread cutting" screws.
The only coil pack I had fail was the original Magnavox unit in my WE4 around 120K miles.
20220319_125416.jpg

Bailey TR6 and don't look back. Drove for years with a stock coil and module in the trunk because they always go bad.

I've had good luck with the Wells unit from Autozone. And it has a lifetime warranty which makes troubleshooting much easier. Most of the others only carry a 1 year warranty I believe.

Bought the Standard one also from Advance Auto back in 2009 iirc and it's still working fine with many miles.
Sometimes aftermarket is as good or better then stock.