Astroroof or ASC?

David Staines

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is an Astroroof or ASC aftermarket. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any pics to reference in this forum, right now.

The damn thing looks factory, to me. I'm not a GN expert, but the metal lip is rolled and the headliner seems to be made for it. The switch is silver and the wiring sure as hell looks similar to the window switch (passenger), but the main power feed seems spliced in (I'm not sure where it goes). I'm not sure how good/bad the ASC kits were in comparison. Here's a couple of pictures:

Attachments

• 2022-03-12-sunroof-204129-1200.jpg
    2022-03-12-sunroof-204129-1200.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 2022-03-12-sunroof-204138-1200.jpg
    2022-03-12-sunroof-204138-1200.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 95
Above where the circular plug came out, there's a housing with an allen screw head that appears to be something that would crank on the system... but it's hard to be sure.

They came with a crank handle in a brown envelope in glove box.. that slid over a small gear.

Yep, CF5 is the code for the Astroroof. If it is not on the SPID label, it's not a factory roof.

yes that is a cf5 astro roof.....the asc will not have the chrome handle on the slide....but a recessed black plastic insert for handle.... , yes switch will be just like a oem chrome window or lock switch....ths asc one is a black plastic toggle type....just more ways to tell.....if spid is missing

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is an Astroroof or ASC aftermarket. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any pics to reference in this forum, right now.

The damn thing looks factory, to me. I'm not a GN expert, but the metal lip is rolled and the headliner seems to be made for it. The switch is silver and the wiring sure as hell looks similar to the window switch (passenger), but the main power feed seems spliced in (I'm not sure where it goes). I'm not sure how good/bad the ASC kits were in comparison. Here's a couple of pictures:
Hi there, Yes that is a factory Cf5 Astro roof. I know as I've had 2 of them. I see the gray vinyl beading that covers that chrome beading is gone? I do have one of those but they are almost impossible to find. Here's a pic. of it & it's out of my 32,000 mile show car I totaled. I also have that round plug for that manual opening hole.
This vinyl beading trim piece is $100 and the plug is $20.
Thanks Mike.

Attachments

• 100_3654.JPG
    100_3654.JPG
    827.5 KB · Views: 54
It does not have a CF5 on the sticker, which is why I assumed it was ASC. It wasn't until I got into it and started looking that I began to get suspicious that it was an Astroroof. The power is spliced into the dome light power which makes me think it was added. All of the connectors and wiring looks GM. The passenger window button with the exact same style back connector and no splices going to the whole system really looks factory.

I checked out the a-pillars and don't see anywhere a complete top swap was done I can only think there was a patch with a partial from the roof of the donor. I have a family history on the car, but the two previous owners are deceased. It was bought by my friend's uncle in Ohio (for his wife) and then bought by his nephew (my friend's brother). The GN pedigree is there, but the brother did some things to it like adding an intercooler and every bolt on modification you could do to them at the time.

I'm kinda stuck trying to figure out what I have and making it work. It actually adds a bit of quirk to the car that I like. It definitely keeps it interesting.

Hi there, Yes that is a factory Cf5 Astro roof. I know as I've had 2 of them. I see the gray vinyl beading that covers that chrome beading is gone? I do have one of those but they are almost impossible to find. Here's a pic. of it & it's out of my 32,000 mile show car I totaled. I also have that round plug for that manual opening hole.
This vinyl beading trim piece is $100 and the plug is $20.
Thanks Mike.

Hey, Mikey. I'm the guy who bought the hood and doors from you last month. My account got deleted in the great meltdown last week. I've PM'd you about that instrument cluster dash piece, but haven't seen a response. I have the plug, already. It's just not in the picture.

I re-wired the 12v supplied to the switch. I also re-did the dome light splice and another mystery splice in the dome light ground wire. I also applied a liberal amount of lithium grease to the the drive cables on either side and the rail that I could get to. I'm hoping that makes it all the way to the drive gear. It really runs smooth, now. The only thing left is the clips for the switch. Now to put the headliner molding back on. That should be fun.