New laptop??

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Considering a new lt for my daughter. She is a RN and midwife, working on her Phd.
Her current unit is shaky and may just crash in the middle of a class.
I'm seeing some "new" features that I have no experience with.
Win 11.
Win 10S, home and pro versions.
Being she will need a system that will do her homework and cover her nursing activities/records.
What system should I look at ?
I also see 2 different versions of the SS hard drives. Which one?
I have had good luck with the ASUS line. Any others that may be more reliable?
NE input is appreciated!

I have a cheapass Acer I bought from Walmart years ago and drag it around all over the place. Still works fine to this day. Has Win 10 on it. I find Win 10 has a shit load of updates...and you gotta use disc cleanup after to get rid of all the shit Win 10 leaves behind after its updates.

I know nothing of windows based systems. Would like to eventually get a cheap laptop for power logger. I’m guessing any mid range one would be more than adequate?

I know nothing of windows based systems. Would like to eventually get a cheap laptop for power logger. I’m guessing any mid range one would be more than adequate?
I use an old IBM Thinkpad with XP on it for diagnosing and tuning these cars.

Any recent machine with an SSD (solid-state disk) should meet her needs for school and work. The school may have a student discount program she can use too... Worth a check.

My wife got a Surface Pro a few years ago, she's in the medical field too. It's fantastic for her to use, syncs easily with the hospital's systems, and is doable enough to carry around to see patients. Not the cheapest, but for a device she uses constantly, it was worth the cost (~$1 per day, if she uses it for 3 years).

Any recent machine with an SSD (solid-state disk) should meet her needs for school and work. The school may have a student discount program she can use too... Worth a check.

My wife got a Surface Pro a few years ago, she's in the medical field too. It's fantastic for her to use, syncs easily with the hospital's systems, and is doable enough to carry around to see patients. Not the cheapest, but for a device she uses constantly, it was worth the cost (~$1 per day, if she uses it for 3 years).
Jon thanks for the help!
I'll look into the surface unit.
My daughter has been an RN for about 25 yrs, and a midwife for 15.
She's done "catching babies" and when she gets her PhD in December, she'll be moving into the teaching end of nursing.