E85 for relatively stock TR

RED LS1

I run dw300 with 6an return, 80# injectors, 10.8 WOT, 62/62 & stock location Precision intercooler, & up to 28lbs of boost! All on my 102,000 mi original motor. Ran 121mph in the 1/4 with failing brakes 2yrs ago. Now has hydro-boost brakes. I love e85 and it’s performance gains plus looking all stock without alky injection.

Stock heads, cam, valve springs? How did the rest of the run go? I have the same setup but haven’t made a good pass yet

87GN864

Looking at converting to e85 and keeping stock turbo. What kinda of power/et gains would 20 psi on stock turbo? Just a ballpark? I recently purchased an 87 and doing spring cleaning now.
If the car is completely stock and you're just going to run 20 pounds of boost, I'd expect low 9's in the 1/8 mile or low 14s in the quarter. The car will be sluggish due to the 60ft being crap at that level. Just purely switching to e85 won't net much of anything, the power in switching to e85 will come from being able to turn the boost up and the e85 chip being able to run more timing. If you're going to keep the car pretty stock and want to gain et, put a PTC 10 Inch lock up in it. A converter change on a stock turbo buick will make the car feel like it picked up 75 hp.

410 Mercman

I disagree. Switching to e85 makes a big difference! I would think my car could run 12’s with 20# of boost. The key to mine is new valve springs, timing chain, oil pump, Husek’s Standard Plus tranny w/3021 lock up converter, HR drag sway bar, 6262, stock location Precision intercooler, & 275-60 drag radials. Already ran 11.0 with crapy 60ft. I hope to run 10.80,s with hydroboost brakes for launching of the foot brake!

410 Mercman

It is like any other car. The more $ you put in it faster it can be. A stock tranny and converter hold these cars back.

Last edited:

LSTTYPE

E85 is the best thing ive ever done for my Buicks. With a tt chip it will idle and drive so much smoother so yes even in stock form I would recommend it. People have claimed that in stock form with no other mods up to like 40lb increase in torque. The dw300 is a great E85 pump but every car ive ever put this pump in needed a -6 return line to control fuel pressure with the exception of the TTA.

GoldHawg

E85 is the best thing ive ever done for my Buicks. With a tt chip it will idle and drive so much smoother so yes even in stock form I would recommend it. People have claimed that in stock form with no other mods up to like 40lb increase in torque. The dw300 is a great E85 pump but every car ive ever put this pump in needed a -6 return line to control fuel pressure with the exception of the TTA.
How much do GNs w/E85 benefit from also upgrading the ignition with coil on plug?

nixturbosix

I believe I read bob bailey saying that using CNP there isn’t much advantage over using the late model coil pack used on the TR6 system. Now compared to the stock ignition system, CNP maybe better if your stocker is weak. But I believe there have been many members well into the 10s running stock setups. Because if the spark is strong enough to ignite the fuel a stronger spark isnt going to ignite it better. I’d say save your money unless you feel your current ignition system isn’t cutting it. Or if you want the other benefits of the TR6 system which are great to have. I want CNP because i like the way it looks and maybe part of me wishes Just my 2 cents