E85 for relatively stock TR

Jon Early

Sorry for making such a newbie post, but most of the information I find is for cars with bigger turbos, intercoolers, ect. I'm trying to de-modify my car (I know lame) but I still want some extra kick over stock. E85 is all over the place in Indiana, so I'm not worried about availability. What I am concerned about is how much I'll need to upgrade my pump and lines if at all. The car currently has the Racetronix 255 drop-in pump/sender and hotwire with stock lines and an Accufab regulator. It will have a stock turbo, intake, throttle, intercooler, ect.

I bought this chip with a set of recently cleaned 60# injectors. Am I going to need to upgrade my pump to a 340? At that point, I assume that I would need the bigger lines to support it as well? If that's the case, I might just stick with a 93 chip for my 42# injectors and call it a day. Being the fastest thing on the street is not what I'm after in this car. Slow is fine as long as it's consistent and reliable, but the alky system ahs to go! Thanks in advance!
1607523711657.png

Mr.Spool

Slow is fine as long as it's consistent and reliable, but the alky system ahs to go!
why would you want to pull the alky system off the car?they run great with a single nozzle and a stock setup.all the performance you talk about is gained by octane cooling the intake charge and burning more BTUs.

Jon Early

why would you want to pull the alky system off the car?they run great with a single nozzle and a stock setup.all the performance you talk about is gained by octane cooling the intake charge and burning more BTUs.
I'm not interested in any of that. E85 essentially does the same thing without all the extra clutter on the dash and under the hood. I'm demodding. Performance is not a priority for me.

mommasGN

You should be fine with a dw300 pump on stock lines. I love E85, and if its all over the place where you are then id go for it. With e85 you may want to have you injectors cleaned every year. Sounds like a pain, but on the other hand, you dont have to worry about the extra stuff that goes along with alky. And plus how often do they suggest alky pumps be rebuilt?

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
many have swapped to e85 without upgrading fuel lines....just sayin....many threads on it ...but it sounds like your priority is not speed/performance...so really no need for e85....unless you want to get the boost up above 18lbs safely....

Jon Early

You should be fine with a dw300 pump on stock lines. I love E85, and if its all over the place where you are then id go for it. With e85 you may want to have you injectors cleaned every year. Sounds like a pain, but on the other hand, you dont have to worry about the extra stuff that goes along with alky. And plus how often do they suggest alky pumps be rebuilt?
Isn't it supposed to be every year or two? I don't know. I'm over it. I have another car on full-time E85 and it's amazing. Good to know stock lines are okay. Is my 255 too small? It would be even better if I don't have to drop the tank again.

Last edited:

V6sleeper

255 pump is not enough but people do it!
stock lines are not ideal with e85 and a higher volume pump you run into return issues and corrosion problems down the road ( bigger Teflon)
60# injectors are not enough unless your running 15#s of boost then whats the point of e85

if your considering e85 its best to over build your fuel system dont run it on the edge.

Jon Early

stock lines are not ideal with e85 and a higher volume pump you run into return issues and corrosion problems down the road ( bigger Teflon)
60# injectors are not enough unless your running 15#s of boost then whats the point of e85

if your considering e85 its best to over build your fuel system dont run it on the edge.
That's a fair point. I guess it all would work, but I may not get the results I expected.

mommasGN

every car is different, but i was at 24 psi on a TA49 with 60's and a dw300 pump. the duty cycle was at 86 percent so she had nothing left.

BEATAV8

The Engine Whisperer
Your 255L/Hr pump is well matched to 60lb/hr injectors. It will work well with stock lines.

I converted a mostly stock car this summer. It had the same pump & injectors. I custom ordered a TT E85 chip for it with customized base settings, from memory it was 90% duty @ 5000RPM and 19 low gear / 17 high gear timing. Dropped in the chip, swapped out the fuel, and increased the boost to meet the desired O2 numbers and that was it.

MikeS

If you're keeping it close to stock boost levels with a stock turbo the hot-wired 255 pump, stock lines, and 60's should be fine. I run a walbro 450 and 80's to hit 28psi with a Te44 turbo, still stock fuel lines.

Mr.Spool

I'm not interested in any of that. E85 essentially does the same thing without all the extra clutter on the dash and under the hood. I'm demodding. Performance is not a priority for me.
Then you need to pull everything off the car,run it at 15psi and stop playing a game you dont want to play,before you blow up the car.performance isn't an issue,so run it stock.

Mr.Spool

Love this post

TTA976

If you're keeping it close to stock boost levels with a stock turbo the hot-wired 255 pump, stock lines, and 60's should be fine. I run a walbro 450 and 80's to hit 28psi with a Te44 turbo, still stock fuel lines.

What a/f you targeting at wot? Ur running on edge with those lol..

Off topic , should be targeting 11:6 at wot on e85 ..timing at 16 or 17 up top with stock ecm to be safe.

Ppl switch to e85 and target 10.7/8 ...If your not gonna target 11:6 go back to pump gas. seen ppl with race gas use 11:1/3 instead of 11:8... Go back to alky / pump gas if you are gonna run it that rich. Its the timing not the boost.

MikeS

What a/f you targeting at wot? Ur running on edge with those lol..

Off topic , should be targeting 11:6 at wot on e85 ..timing at 16 or 17 up top with stock ecm to be safe.

Ppl switch to e85 and target 10.7/8 ...If your not gonna target 11:6 go back to pump gas. seen ppl with race gas use 11:1/3 instead of 11:8... Go back to alky / pump gas if you are gonna run it that rich. Its the timing not the boost.
Good suggestions. I'm around 11.1 to 11.3:1, timing in 3rd at 18 degrees. Street car. I have the tt chip set to add around 15% more fuel, if I go the full 20% I can dip into the high 10 range. The injectors are getting worked hard for sure, but still fine for now. I've played around with afr's as lean as 12:1. The small increase in power wasn't worth the increased risk, in my opinion. This car seems to like being rich. I've only blown one head gasket in the last 17 years. But as my luck goes, I had to replace it while the car was outside, in February, in the northeast weather. So I'd rather waste a few extra bucks in e85 through the year and give up a few horsepower for the peace of mind. This keeps it safe in the event of alcohol % changing slightly at the gas station. Everyone has to find their comfort zone.

410 Mercman

I run dw300 with 6an return, 80# injectors, 10.8 WOT, 62/62 & stock location Precision intercooler, & up to 28lbs of boost! All on my 102,000 mi original motor. Ran 121mph in the 1/4 with failing brakes 2yrs ago. Now has hydro-boost brakes. I love e85 and it’s performance gains plus looking all stock without alky injection.