E-85 stabilizer? should be used ?

john keskes

Guys, ran into a guy with an RX-7 on E-85 and he uses it.. I forgot the name of the stuff but he says he buys it from Walmart

Probably the Lucas. There was a stabilizer test on here recently. Looked like it doesnt do much. But wont hurt either.

Probably the Lucas. There was a stabilizer test on here recently. Looked like it doesnt do much. But wont hurt either.

Well, it'll hurt your wallet.

Ethanol doesn't break down into varnish like gasoline does. It evaporates or takes on water, depending on the conditions where it's stored. The only "stabilizer" you need is a completely air-tight container.

One of the most valuable aspects of the Lucas E85 is the lessening or elimination of the gumming/goo that could build up. If it actually eliminates this I'm not sure but if you've ever had the goo, you'll buy anything that claims to help that and pray it works. LOL

One of the most valuable aspects of the Lucas E85 is the lessening or elimination of the gumming/goo that could build up. If it actually eliminates this I'm not sure but if you've ever had the goo, you'll buy anything that claims to help that and pray it works. LOL
I don't know of any E85 additive that even mentions goo or tar or anything like that and that was the problem that i was trying to eliminate. They talk about corrosion. Once I got rid of the oil in my intake,the goo problem went away,but I continued using first Sta-BIL 360 then Lucas. The inside of my intake and the back side of my valves were always covered with a sticky film. One day I noticed that the stabilizer running down the outside of the bottle was sticky when it dried just like I was finding in my intake plenum and ports. I stopped using stabilizer on that day.

KEY BENEFITS
  • Cleans injectors, valve seats, combustion chambers and other critical fuel components
  • Stabilizes fuel and prevents varnish & gum formation in ethanol and gasoline
  • Combats deposits and protects your engine oil lubricants from the harmful effects of alcohol combustion

If it actually stops that is debatable, but goo or gumming is real and from someone that's had it, the $8 bottle to handle like 65 gallons of fuel is worth it if it helps.

• Stabilizes fuel and prevents varnish & gum formation in ethanol and gasoline

If it actually stops that is debatable, but goo or gumming is real and from someone that's had it, the $8 bottle to handle like 65 gallons of fuel is worth it if it helps.

The question is, "which gum?"

The clear deposits we saw with E85 (past tense) was glycerin. Oil based solvents don't dissolve it. But alcohol and water do.

None of these stabilizers include water or alcohol. So they're not going to work on that particular gum.