E-85 recipes...

adowningusa

Good evening fellow Buick owners!

Just came back from an absolutely wonderful ride in the G.N. A great day to have the tops out in central Indiana.

The body is now done, the engine looks beautiful, and all I need to finish the interior is front seat covers and foam. It's been a long work in the process, but well worth it. This site has been a huge help as well. Thanks to all who sold me parts and offered advice. Most of all, thanks to the mods for all their time to keep the site running smooth.

That being said, it's time to convert to E-85. I have 84,000 miles on the stock motor and new springs for the valves. Compression is within 11 pounds from weakest to strongest, and leak-down is less than 4 percent. It is a low 13 second street car on 93 octance. It has a scanmaster on board and it currently leads me to believe this car has a clean bill of health. A solid base if you ask me. This car is stock and has been spring cleaned and ready to go.

Over on the www.gnttype.com site there are recipes that seem pretty tasty for street and strip performance. I have wondered thru this section and haven't seen anything really solid as far as recipes go. I know that every car has it's own personality, but it's time to pony up and do something for the betterment of the Buick Community here. That being said, here is what I offer.

My car, as a project, to create a recipe that will be flexible and can be applied to baseline- stock setups. My goal is to spend no more than a 1000.00 dollars in parts. I know that's a rather steep amount, but I know there might be some "exchanging" of parts if we hit a brick wall in performance.

I would like to start this project sometime next week so I look forward to the conversation and what "we" as a community will arrive at.

I am also thinking that this will be benefical to a couple of our vendors too. Wouldn't it be nice to purchase everything as a "kit"?

What say ye???

What do you have now as far as injectors? All I did outside of already having big enough injectors is (1) TurboTweak Chip, (2) Racetronix stainless fuel sender, (3) Deatschwerks DW301 fuel pump, (4) replaced soft lines at tank and over axle with multi-fuel EFI hose, (5) installed Caspers Electronics Volt Booster. I had to do other things because of my previous setup but if you use a MAF then this is all you need other than an adjustable wastegate to crank up the boost!

Injectors are 36 lbs. From what I have read, it sounds like 60's are the way to go. I don't see doing anything over the top with this particular car so I am thinking that's where I need to be. Would those injectors see a 100 percent duty cycle on a engine running around 22 lbs boost? I am apprehensive to turn up the wick much more than that.

It looks like the jury is still out about increased return line sizing. It seems to me that the deciding factor is the amount of boost that one runs and the amount of fuel pressure required as well. I thought I read somewhere about the restriction be a result of a bend somewhere in the fuel rail or line coming off the rail.

With you on the TT chip. Have bought one from him on my last project and it was a work of art.

Get the largest injectors you can. I hear 80 lb are the largest you can run on a stock unmodified ECM. I have no problem with stock lines and proper idle fuel pressure. There seem to be too many myths floating around regarding E85 problems. But if you get a huge fuel pump you will need huge lines. The DW seems to be just right for me as long as a volt booster is being used. I drove it 30 miles Saturday and when I floored it I had zero knock and 824 O2 on the Scanmaster at 20 lbs of boost. Probably could add a little more boost.

Injectors are 36 lbs. From what I have read, it sounds like 60's are the way to go. I don't see doing anything over the top with this particular car so I am thinking that's where I need to be. Would those injectors see a 100 percent duty cycle on a engine running around 22 lbs boost? I am apprehensive to turn up the wick much more than that.

Depends on the turbo (airflow). With a stock turbo, no. With a biger turbo, yes.

With what I learned from Gabby Rojas, Kevin B., and TurboCliff here is what I'd do.
Wideband, volt booster, TT E85 chip, 80 lb injectors, and the TT340 pump from Eric. If you can squeeze a Turbo in for like $450 do so. Until then run your stocker till it gives in....it will!