dyno tuneing

moturbo415

Can I still get a dyno tune on my 87 gn if I don't really know what's in it all I know is that its not stock has a different cam and a aftermarket bigger turbo its running pretty rough is dyno tuneing the best thing for me to do right now?

Yeah sounds like a plan, blow it up then find out what's in it. :cool:

It will sorta force you to look into things then.... :oops:

Dyno is generally used for fine tuning. If it's running rough it would just be a waste of money to get it dyno-"tuned". It's not like they are going to be able to tune it anyway unless you have an aftermarket ECM like XFI or BS3. Just ask for some help in your local turbo buick forum i.e. Midwest or florida or whatever. A lot of guys will give you help for the price of a beer.

Can I still get a dyno tune on my 87 gn if I don't really know what's in it all I know is that its not stock has a different cam and a aftermarket bigger turbo its running pretty rough is dyno tuneing the best thing for me to do right now?

It depends on the dyno-tune operator / tech ... it also depends on the expectations you have ...

Sometimes bringing it in for a dyno tune .. the tech / operator will find a whole laundry list of things that need to be addressed BEFORE he is able to tune the car as they may influence the tune. Most of the "GOOD" tuners will and they can give you insight to why you are having rough running issues. IF you pull your car in running rough and the first thing the dyno guy suggests is try making a FULL POWER pull to see where your at .. RUN AWAY !

It also depends on WHAT is causing the rough running .. I tuned a GN on the dyno that the customer brought in that was running "ROUGH" and it was from the car over fueling and was super easy to see on the rollers , barely even getting into the boost .

While it helps to know the components in the engine.. I wouldn't say its of much use to a dyno tuner ... at the end of the day does it matter that he knows if the motor has ARP rod bolts, or a 206 hyd roller or a stock cam, or a 62 vs 64 turbo ?? Probably not...

Does he need to know WHAT Fuel its on, the intentions with the car ( street, Race, combination of ), what electronics are on the car ( DFI, Translator, Adjustable chip), ABSOLUTELY ... as he will use those things to deliver the best tune possible for your particular setup.

Furthermore .. this maybe a good opportunity for you to work with a tuner that after he "BASELINES" the car that he can tell you what to look for and what you may need to adjust when driving the car on the street or track.. the dyno gets you close.. but the real tune happens under real world conditions.

So in short .. it DEPENDS ON your TUNER !