Dynamic EFI EBL Flash System For GM Sequential V6 Boosted Engines....

Didnt read through the whole thread-too long lol

Hey what if any advantage to getting this over a fast classic sfi?

Ive got a old dfi ecm in my stage 2 car 90's -I just bought with a burned out motherboard.

Hey what if any advantage to getting this over a fast classic sfi?

I have been in and around vehicles employing the FAST system, and in my opinion the SFI-6 is way more refine. I do not like the way the FAST systems control idle with a cammed engine, some people like it because certain things don't bother them but I am picky. I do not like the way the FAST systems cold start either, takes four to five starts in most cases that I have seen even after plenty of trial and error tuning. With the SFI-6's ability to switch MAP sensors for proper resolution down low and up top there are no compromises, and starting with the original LC2 base code, just set injector size and let the system fine tune the VE for you in a matter of seconds. GM got everything else right the first time.

SFI-6 takes it to a much greater level...

So what are the limits ? Just like tuning any other stand alone system. All the tables? Sfi-6 comes with with everything I need to start car?

So what are the limits ? Just like tuning any other stand alone system. All the tables? Sfi-6 comes with with everything I need to start car?

There are no limits, the XDF included with the package allows you to tune every aspect of the bin using the free editor Tuner Pro RT, other editors can be used, but I honestly recommend Tuner Pro. There is some light re-pinning and modifications to the stock harness that is required, but we're talking minor... :)

So you need a hp tuner type interface to change the tune? Tuner pro come with a package? Or

Can HP tuner be used with this setup?
I was looking to learn about HPtuner if they are compatible that would be cool.

The EBL series of ECMs are different then how HPtuner works. The calibration is a file on your laptop, called a BIN file. This file is edited via TunerPro to make changes to the calibration. TunerPro is a powerful BIN editing tool that makes it easy to change the parameters.

Once the required changes are made the included What's Up Display (WUD) is used to flash the BIN into the EBL ECM. This takes 4 to 5 seconds. The same cable and WUD is used to observe the engine data and to flash in the BIN. The WUD has various displays to help with tuning along with analysis and data display of a log file.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks for the reply, I am familiar with tunerpro and use it too log data with my Gen ll just trying to find a way to get into HPtuner. Its popular in the LS world and there are a few locals converting, I'm trying to find a way to apply it to my car so I can learn about it.
It can be done apparently you need a series 2 computer and a different crank and cam signal.
My buddies doing the LS conversions come from the Carb distributor world, there are a couple really fast NA 6L running around and both are carb and distribtors, there are a couple turbo builds in the works and they plan on running HPtuner.
I plan to help them a bit if I can and figure if I could adapt the system to my car it would be useful.

So you need a hp tuner type interface to change the tune? Tuner pro come with a package? Or

Tuner Pro RT is free, takes a few seconds to download. The SFI-6 package includes the XDF that Tuner Pro RT will utilize to make any and all changes to the bin. Once you click to open the XDF in Tuner Pro, the laptop/PC will take you to that file location and you would simply upload it, and there in Tuner Pro it will stay every time you open Tuner Pro until you remove it or switch to a different XDF, but you won't need to remove or switch, the only time your would is if you upgrade to a newer XDF provided by Dynamic EFI. Below is the link to Tuner Pro RT, download it and try it out, it is proven, and it is free... :)

Latest version was released this year (7/11/15). It is free, no need to register and make the donation unless you're feeling generous... ;)

Download: http://tunerpro.net/download/SetupTunerProRT_v500_8713.exe

I mentioned Tuner pro to my buddies but from what I understand it will not work on the LS computer.

just trying to find a way to get into HPtuner. Its popular in the LS world and there are a few locals converting, I'm trying to find a way to apply it to my car so I can learn about it...

Data streams would be different in this case, but the idea is definitely a good one though. Switching to HP Tuners requires a lot of changes that just can't be justified from a practical sense, but this isn't to say that the HP Tuner system isn't good, it's very good, but you would need to change everything, including the PCM and harness, and most Grand National and TTA owners don't want to deal with that. They want a system that is easy to install, essentially keeping it stock, as well as stock appearing, and be able to tune it in its' entirety. HP Tuners is a lot like Megasquirt, it's a good system, but running it requires many changes, and in the end you essentially sacrifice your Grand National or TTA just to run a particular system. With the SFI-6, you're using the stock harness, stock code, but with features and abilities that go well beyond the stock ECM. No need to butcher the harness, and it is way more practical. What I mean by practical is, if we're starting off with a '70 Buick Skylark with LC2 engine and transmission swap with nothing else, then yes, I can see delving into other tuning software. But if you're already wired for the LC2, then keep it LC2 programmed, albeit Flash based... ;)

Edit: So in a nutshell, SFI-6 is specific to the GN & TTA in comparison to the other units, and very enhanced over the stock ECM. The other systems are more universal, and they require many additions and/or sacrifices, which some peope don't mind, and some do. In the end, they all do the same thing, so it's a matter of what works best for you, as well as which are more cost efficient...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. It was just a thought on my part.
I might dig a little deeper I have a new shell and frame to add for my car down the road an aftermarket engine management system or a modified modern computer might be an option then.

Tuner Pro RT is free, takes a few seconds to download. The SFI-6 package includes the XDF that Tuner Pro RT will utilize to make any and all changes to the bin. Once you click to open the XDF in Tuner Pro, the laptop/PC will take you to that file location and you would simply upload it, and there in Tuner Pro it will stay every time you open Tuner Pro until you remove it or switch to a different XDF, but you won't need to remove or switch, the only time your would is if you upgrade to a newer XDF provided by Dynamic EFI. Below is the link to Tuner Pro RT, download it and try it out, it is proven, and it is free... :)

Latest version was released this year (7/11/15). It is free, no need to register and make the donation unless you're feeling generous... ;)

Download: http://tunerpro.net/download/SetupTunerProRT_v500_8713.exe

Got it thanks!!

So it would work with the stock LC2 wiring on my stage2 car . Thanks

Just to make sure we are all on the same page regarding the EFI harness. Street Lethal is running the EBL P4 in a different vehicle where it is plug & pin compatible. Just needed to add the comm cable pigtail to the ECM harness connectors (3 wires).

To use the EBL SFI-6 ECM with the stock '84 - '87 TB harness changes are required. The two stock ECM harness connectors need to be re-pinned into three connectors. This is quick and easy when the connectors have been labeled and you have three new connectors. We supply the re-pin guide to do this.

Other then that the EBL SFI-6 ECM works in the TB cars and even fits in the stock ECM holder.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yes, mentioned this a few posts up (post# 584)... :)

Street Lethal said:
There is some light re-pinning and modifications to the stock harness that is required, but we're talking minor... :)

This is true for the EBL P4 in your application, but is not true for the EBL SFI-6 in a Turbo Buick. Need to re-pin the ECM harness from the two connectors to three connectors. Takes me about 10 minutes on a good day, figure 20 - 30 minutes or so for a first timer.

The most important item is to label the connectors, masking tape and a Sharpe work. This is for connector side (A, B, C, ...) and the pin numbers (1 - 12 & 1 - 16).

RemoveBeforeFlight

This is true for the EBL P4 in your application, but is not true for the EBL SFI-6 in a Turbo Buick. Need to re-pin the ECM harness from the two connectors to three connectors. Takes me about 10 minutes on a good day, figure 20 - 30 minutes or so for a first timer.

The most important item is to label the connectors, masking tape and a Sharpe work. This is for connector side (A, B, C, ...) and the pin numbers (1 - 12 & 1 - 16).

RemoveBeforeFlight

you guys ever consider making a jumper harness in case someone had to switch back to stock ecm?

Latest run with my hot air on the SFI-6 This on Friday On Sunday with a few adjustments I lifted the front end a little on the launch.
image.jpg

I installed mine in an afternoon
I had no tuning knowledge other than reading the dynamic efi web site . No additional hardware to install and wire. Uses all stock GM sensors I Was up and driving same day ....If you choose to add options like wide band sensor then additional work is required but that is with any unit.
A year and half later my car out performs even my expectations. I have been through several engine upgrades a turbo change ,a fuel injector upgrade. Added ebl control of boost and methanol injection. Converted from gas to E85 . All it takes is an understanding of engine operation and how each change must be accounted for and sky is the limit . My car is a hot air 84 t type.