Dynamic EFI EBL Flash System For GM Sequential V6 Boosted Engines....

I need help with my ebl flash,

Can I run my vss with 8K pulse unit?

I'm in unique situation where a DRAC cannot be used and cable drive 2K pulse or 4K pulse are seemingly out of stock everywhere. I can get Chinese aftermarket or ford 8k pulse units all day, will it read that pulse range? I have tried the aftermarket 16k pulse and it will not respond correctly.

Aj

You can use a 8K PPM VSS. Will need to set the "VSS - Pulse Per Mile" parameter in the calibration to match.

As for wiring the VSS to the EBL SFI-6 ECM, this depends upon whether the VSS is a sine wave (magnetic) or digital (optical, Hall Effect) output. See this link, bottom of the first sheet shows the two different VSS wiring. Ignore the PPM values shown, they are programmable in the ECM.

http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_SFI6_Drawings.php

Odds are the VSS's you are looking at are a sine wave output. In this case wire it to pins B9 and B10, and set this option flag:

Option Word 3 - Bit 4 - MagVs

RemoveBeforeFlight

You can use a 8K PPM VSS. Will need to set the "VSS - Pulse Per Mile" parameter in the calibration to match.

As for wiring the VSS to the EBL SFI-6 ECM, this depends upon whether the VSS is a sine wave (magnetic) or digital (optical, Hall Effect) output. see this link, bottom of the first sheet shows the two different VSS wiring. Ignore the PPM values shown, they are programmable in the ECM.

Odds are the VSS's you are looking at are a sine wave output. In this case wire it to pins B9 and B10, and set this option flag:

Option Word 3 - Bit 4 - MagVs

RemoveBeforeFlight

well im not running a SFI 6 but rather just Flash. This is a TBI application on a ford 302 in a 69 bronco.

I did originally reset the pulse value in tuner pro when i tried the Autometer/dakota digital 16K pulse unit. I had a feeling this was a sine wave generator and figured thats why the speed would bounce up and down on the Whats Up display.

I know that the Flash im using runs the GM 7747 truck ECU, so I dont think wiring is the issue but more the fact its used to the square wave 2K or 4K input signal. The Sensor i was using was the Jags That Run universal cable driven unit. However, old stock has dried up and there are no current runs of production. A Major issue to me as I plan on running the SFI 6 on my buick in my truck, I will need the universal pulse generator. So needless to say im freaking out.

The sine wave signal up to the ecu as long as the pulse value is reset shouldnt hurt the ECU or EBL board right? I will order up a Ching Chang 8K pulse unit and see what happens. Im also hoping if it reads 8K properly i can utilize the stock ford VSS. I Just dont want to hurt the components.

Thanks for your Help,

Aj

In the case of the EBL Flash, the input needs to be an optical/digital type. Can still use a 4, 8, or 16 K PPM sensor as the PPM can be changed in the calibration. Since you have a VSS, use either a 4-OUT BUFFER box (stock GM piece) or the Dakoda Digital SGI-5 box to convert the sine wave signal to a digital stream.

That VSS setup will also work with the EBL SFI-6 Flash ECM.

RemoveBeforeFlight

thank you so much. thats exactly what i needed to know.

EBL is a winner.

Just as a quick testiment of sucess, this is my 4th EBL unit - 2 are non GM applications and it works perfectly without missing a beat. computers are cheap and easy to replace, The self learn is incredibly responsive and the addition of a wide band makes this in my opinion a contendor for just about any other aftermarket ECU available.

GO EBL GO!

A.j.

Well, I got it fired and idling. I had to install the new WBo2, and the FP gauge. I have been working on the cranking fuel, low speed ve (idle area), and the AE (idle area). the car is not road worthy yet, but I needed it running to get on the trailer in a few weeks and to move it around my buddy shop for paint.

I am a little rusty with the TunerPro, lol. The CnP works flawlessly, and the idle is great. Right now it is about 700RPM, not sure where it "should" idle, but the idle screw is pretty much all the backed off.

I forget what the procedure is for setting the idle and IAC.

Last edited:
but the idle screw is pretty much all the backed off.

I forget what the procedure is for setting the idle and IAC.

First problem is, that thing you call and idle screw IS NOT an idle screw. IT'S NOT for setting idle rpm. It's the "minimum air bleed" screw. It's actually used to set the IAC value.
Second, Idle rpm is set in the firmware/software of whatever powertrain control you're using.

As you screw the air bleed screw out/back it closes the throttle which should cause the IAC number to increase, in an attempt to maintain the idle rpm as set by the ECM. Turning the screw in opens the throttle blade some, and will momentarilly cause an increase in rpm, but the ECM will see this and decrease the IAC numbers to stabalize the idle rpm at the ECM's set value.

Also, keep in mind you only make a couple of small adjustments to the air bleed screw before you have to re-adjust the idle TPS value as it will change when fiddling with the screw. You have to go back and forth between the two adjustments to get them right.

First problem is, that thing you call and idle screw IS NOT an idle screw. IT'S NOT for setting idle rpm. It's the "minimum air bleed" screw. It's actually used to set the IAC value.
Second, Idle rpm is set in the firmware/software of whatever powertrain control you're using.

As you screw the air bleed screw out/back it closes the throttle which should cause the IAC number to increase, in an attempt to maintain the idle rpm as set by the ECM. Turning the screw in opens the throttle blade some, and will momentarilly cause an increase in rpm, but the ECM will see this and decrease the IAC numbers to stabalize the idle rpm at the ECM's set value.

Also, keep in mind you only make a couple of small adjustments to the air bleed screw before you have to re-adjust the idle TPS value as it will change when fiddling with the screw. You have to go back and forth between the two adjustments to get them right.

Old hat habit calling it an idle screw. I know where everything is in the bin, and what to change, and how it works, but I just don't remember where the minimum air bleed screw is supposed to be. I have to do a search, get that set, then I can go into the bin and adjust my commanded park and drive idle speed.

:EDIT: Found this.

IAC (Idle Air Control) Adjustment
The IAC function maintains idle quality through commands from the ECM, but, has NO impact beyond the idle range. Idle speed is set by the chip, not by the IAC adjustment screw. Looking at the inside of the throttle body, there are two holes in the lower portion fore and aft of the throttle blade. At idle, the blade is essentially closed and air enters the front hole, goes past the IAC plunger, and exits behind the throttle blade into the plenum. The IAC plunger is pulsed by the ECM to maintain a steady idle with varying engine load.
When the IAC is adjusted, we seem to typically look for IAC counts on our scan tool somewhere between 15-25 when the car is in Park, the engine fully warmed up, and the A/C is off. The lower the IAC number, the less control the ECM has over the idle as the throttle blade begins to be opened. This setting may not be as critical as we often make it. You may find your car idles just as well at 40 counts as it does at 15.
With car in Park, engine fully warm, A/C off, look at the IAC counts on the scan tool. If you wish to lower the count number, turn the adjustment screw clockwise. To increase the counts, turn it counterclockwise. Turn the screw a small increment, turn the engine off, and restart. This insures that the IAC resets and confirms the adjusted number. Continue until the desired number is achieved. Often, on stock set ups, about 1-1 1/2 threads of the adjustment screw will emerge thru on the lever side of the throttle body. Restarting also rezeros the tps as stated in the prior section and removes any effect on idle speed that may have occurred due to tps movement. The IAC counts will probably be 30 counts, or more, higher on a cold engine than on a warmed up engine. The counts will also be much higher in gear as compared to Park, and, higher with the AC turned on.
Remember that the IAC adjustment will change the TPS and that if the TPS moves past 0.46 volts, the idle may increase in speed as the ecm no longer thinks the car is in idle range. Therefore, if you are going to decrease IAC counts very much, it is a good idea to first lower the TPS down to 0.38 volts or so in order to prevent it from rising out of the idle range as you adjust the IAC.
It is not a bad idea to clean the throttle body out periodically with carb cleaner to keep the passages clean and to insure that the IAC function works correctly. Remove the IAC from the housing and clean any carbon or gum off the tip of the plunger and clean the seat as well. Don't power up the IAC when the unit is not installed. Otherwise, you may find the plunger is pushed out of the sensor. When reinstalling, very little torque is required. Just tighten enough to compress the gasket to prevent an air leak. Over tightening may crack the plastic interior of the IAC.

The best starting place to set that screw is a point where there is like 1-2 threads visible on the other end of the screw coming out the the metal block where it touches the throttle arm. From there you can tweak as needed to get good IAC numbers (15-30) and tps values (.40-.42)

The best starting place to set that screw is a point where there is like 1-2 threads visible on the other end of the screw coming out the the metal block where it touches the throttle arm. From there you can tweak as needed to get good IAC numbers (15-30) and tps values (.40-.42)

Outstanding, thank you. This is what I was looking for!

With the EBL systems neither the IAC or TPS is critical. The TPS can be anywhere between .3 and .8 volts. Although shooting for about .5 volts is decent. The EBL ECM auto-zero's the TPS, which is why it isn't critical.

For the IAC, shoot for 20 - 25 steps on a warm idle with no other loads (fan off, in P/N, ...).

Can use the WUD to monitor both of these values.

RemoveBeforeFlight

With the EBL systems neither the IAC or TPS is critical. The TPS can be anywhere between .3 and .8 volts. Although shooting for about .5 volts is decent. The EBL ECM auto-zero's the TPS, which is why it isn't critical.

For the IAC, shoot for 20 - 25 steps on a warm idle with no other loads (fan off, in P/N, ...).

Can use the WUD to monitor both of these values.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Copy that, thank you!

Got the IAC steps and TPS sorted. I have been messing with the cranking fuel, the open loop fueling, then the closed loop idle fueling. I really had to fatten up the table down there.

Last edited:
Thinking out loud her, after sitting bored in work. My low speed VE table had to be raised dramatically in the 35-45 kpa @ 700-800 rpm. So, I was thinking that the RJC PCV valve I am running is a vacuum leak, like I have seen in some old threads. So, on the was home, I will pick up an AutoZone 1162 (plastic), and the 1126 (metal for the TB), and put the RJC inline with those.

I'll see in a few hours.

vacuum leaks do not affect Speed Density systems, its more likely your injector offset is too low.

B

vacuum leaks do not affect Speed Density systems, its more likely your injector offset is too low.

B
Thanks for that, that is what BobR was saying could be a part of my problem. I am running the 50 lb/hr MSDs. I can't seem to find the tech data listing the offsets. I dug something on the HP tuners boards:
There is also a preset for MSD 50lb, 13 ohm injectors.
The values are
Voltage - offset in uSec
6 - 2550
7 - 2550
8 - 2100
9 - 1560
10 - 1190
11 - 940
12 - 750
13 - 610
14 - 490
15 - 410

I may try this, the current offset @ 14.4v is 366.25 uSec, where from this data (is it accurate) says I should be about 450 uSec.

sounds about right, I remember the MSD 50's needing a little more offset than stock. They also change a little as they warm up, but not by enough to worry about.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the reply! I'll take this values and plug them in the table and see what happens.

X2 on the MSD 50's. Even though I'm running a different system I still have to run a good bit of offset.