during a rebuild what piston rings?

outatime86

I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor due to blown head gasket. What brand or model of piston rings do you use? Motor is a stock 109 block 30 over girdled, forged pistons/rods/crank with aluminum heads, new alky injection, t66, FAST ecm, supporting bolt on's. I've read great things about total seal gapless 2nd rings and I enjoy their website's tech articles. Includes great information regarding cylinder walls and oil, also fuels such as methanol and blow by, interesting stuff! But it looks like their piston rings are around $300-$400 a set not cheap, was wondering what else is out there or are these normal prices for rings these days? Not trying to break any records, want to run 25-30psi. Haven't talked to my machine shop yet regarding piston rings fyi. First I wanted to see what your experience has been or what you would do differently.

Thanks for your time and input!

Last edited:
Actually I have not verified if its 30 over, I will verify that upon disassembly this sunday.

I'd like torque plate honing, if I can rent one or barrow one for beer. Live in socal area.

I've read great things about total seal but damn their expensive. My chevy buddy with 1200hp twin turbo 6.0 swears by cp cabrillo pistons n rings.

Just wanted to see what tb.com users say. Thanks for your time n energy.

I've read great things about total seal but damn their expensive. My chevy buddy with 1200hp twin turbo 6.0 swears by cp cabrillo pistons n rings.

Just wanted to see what tb.com users say. Thanks for your time n energy.
I can contact my engine builder and find out what brand he used...just let me know.

I can contact my engine builder and find out what brand he used...just let me know.
If you don't mind that would be cool. No rush just trying to get other user experiences opinion. Not trying to break any records here but since I'm doing the rebuild don't want to waste money either. Thanks Scooby

If you don't mind that would be cool. No rush just trying to get other user experiences opinion. Not trying to break any records here but since I'm doing the rebuild don't want to waste money either. Thanks Scooby
Sent text...waiting on response.

I'd like torque plate honing, if I can rent one or barrow one for beer. Live in socal area.

Your obsessed with what ring to use but didn't answer my question, my point is that the hone job is more important than the rings used.
What are you going to do when someone borrows you a torque plate?

Your obsessed with what ring to use but didn't answer my question, my point is that the hone job is more important than the rings used.
What are you going to do when someone borrows you a torque plate?
Hi Archie, I am not sure exactly how the machine shop will attack the torque plate honing. All I know is they offer the service. Above are the 2 torque plates I have to choice from so far. Local to SoCal I'll plan on letting people rent it for a small fee for their builds in the future to recover some of the cost. Wouldn't say I'm obsessed but I do enjoy the conversation and other people's opinion, with their experiences. This is my 1st rebuild so I am open to anyone's 2 cents.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor due to blown head gasket. What brand or model of piston rings do you use? Motor is a stock 109 block 30 over girdled, forged pistons/rods/crank with aluminum heads, new alky injection, t66, FAST ecm, supporting bolt on's. I've read great things about total seal gapless 2nd rings and I enjoy their website's tech articles. Includes great information regarding cylinder walls and oil, also fuels such as methanol and blow by, interesting stuff! But it looks like their piston rings are around $300-$400 a set not cheap, was wondering what else is out there or are these normal prices for rings these days? Not trying to break any records, want to run 25-30psi. Haven't talked to my machine shop yet regarding piston rings fyi. First I wanted to see what your experience has been or what you would do differently.

Thanks for your time and input!
I would put a good set of rings in it.

Hi Archie, I am not sure exactly how the machine shop will attack the torque plate honing. All I know is they offer the service. Above are the 2 torque plates I have to choice from so far. Local to SoCal I'll plan on letting people rent it for a small fee for their builds in the future to recover some of the cost. Wouldn't say I'm obsessed but I do enjoy the conversation and other people's opinion, with their experiences. This is my 1st rebuild so I am open to anyone's 2 cents.

I've had the CCA for about 6 years now, its a great product.
Its important to know what they are going to use to hone your block.

FB_IMG_1678384753271.jpg
FB_IMG_1678384730142.jpg
FB_IMG_1678384736085.jpg